Do people take anonymous answers less seriously?

I've seen quite a few users around here saying "Well you're anonymous so anything you have to say means less because for whatever reason, you chose to participate in this post anonymously." I wonder if they truly take anonymous answers less seriously or if that's just some last resort comment because they really have nothing else to say in a debate or they just got their feelings hurt so now they want to attempt and hurt the anon user's feelings by saying trying to make them answering anon seem like an insult.

Your thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have answered anonymous and been thanked for my responses. I generally post anon whenever I am giving a response that has a lot of personal details, or I don't want someone adding me as a friend or sending me messages to show pity on me. I feel I have to give the personal details in some responses, because it feels like what I'm saying would look like a trolling of sorts without it.

• Exactly. Anon questions and answers are not always some ballslessness. There are some personal ass posts here with people asking for advice and info!

What Guys Said 5

• It would depend on the question

• Yeah, people seem to generally think less of anon posts, simply because it gives the impression that the poster is afraid to let others know who he/she is. Which may be true, but it also gives the impression that there's possibly an ulterior motive behind it, such as to post something false or to harass others, for example. Just like most people don't trust someone wearing a mask, so to do people mistrust those who remain anonymous. Sure, it's unfair, but it's basic human psychology.

• I think that's what you called being paranoid lol I know speaking for myself, my anon answers have started to increase because there are some users here who are simply way too sensitive and they don't like to hear the truth or they'll take even the tiniest, NON- OFFENSIVE, yet blunt honesty to heart and block you although they asked for your opinion. So I find myself posting anon then taking it down after I've had some time to see how the QA is.

• oh okay and then it's annoying when you're blocked from a really interesting post in the future because some user here got their feelings her over nothing and decided to block you ages ago.

• Yep, that too.

• The anonymous feature is best used for personal questions or answers where the answerer wants to reveal some private experience. To keep your privacy thus.

I'm disgusted by those who post a question or answer anonymously , then block those who are not telling them what they wanted to hear: pure censorschip. That makes a dialogue impossible.

IMHO, the blocking fuction should not be available when posting anonymously.

• lol, yeah, it's stupid when people do that like 'wtf grow up. don't come here asking for honesty then decide to block people who don't tell you what you want to hear.'

I don't agree that the blocking function should not be available when posting anonymously because just because you may post anonymously doesn't mean people still won't do things that are block worthy. What if someone posts anonymously and someone gives them a legit reason to block them? Like they're verbal abuse or sh*t starting?

• there's no need for you to get rude and snippy. You insisted on pushing the topic so I engaged in your little debate.

• I take any answer seriously (unless it's clearly sarcastic, silly, or stupid).

• lol, well that's silly. they're just having fun :P don't be such a tight ass, sovetskii13

• I can see why some people would look down upon or have little respect for an anon message...

Because, simply put, it shows lack of balls

But in the end it doesn't matter because his is the internet, it's very hard to hurt someones feelings.

• I don't think it shows lack of balls. Sometimes, I'll post anon if the QA is anon because it's like "Well why should I let you know who I am if you won't show who you are?" Also because there are some QA's who abuse the whole anon privellege here and they'll e-stalk you because you didn't answer anon. so lame!

• No I just honestly never though about the fact that some people base their answers on who asked the question... I do agree that anon lays out an even playing field.

• They do though. You can tell sometimes by the way someone will form their opinion then get on another post and be totally reckless or just entirely not as sweet and kind and mature about the whole thing.

What Girls Said 3

• I've asked 2 anonymous questions, but have recently come to the conclusion that my username is my anonymousy on the Internet. If you happened to walk past me in real life you would have no idea that you just saw may04, who asked whatever personal question. I guess if people feel extra sensitive about something it's good for asking, and for equally sensitive answers. What I don't get is when it's a general question, like "what's your favorite animal" and the poster is anonymous. Or if there's people who answer anonymously to something like that. It doesn't make me value the question/answer any more or less, but at the same time I don't get why they feel the need to be extra secretive about it.

• I don't care if someone asks or answers a question anonymously.

• No. I understand why people would want to remain as anonymous as possible online (like me lol).

• right! Especially for some users who come here and actually post their pictures! :O What if someone they know, someone who may even be closely connected to them, like a girl who wants their man, or their man's ex or someone that they know in real life comes across their profile and has all of this access to info you'd never want them to know?

• That's what I think. I don't think people really consider that they're making their personal information public to anyone.

Also, even if you don't give out information about yourself, not going anonymous can let people get information about your personality, and I don't like the idea of anyone in the world doing that lol.

• yeah, I'd never post my pics up here! There are more users on this website than I think people realize. When they used to have the feature where you could see how many views your post got, there would be like 5,000 views in a week and this is an international website!