How does GAG select 'Popular' questions?

I've noticed on the home page, that some posts that aren't all that active, get listed under the 'Popular' tab.

Just wondering if anyone knows what algorithm the site uses to know which questions are popular.

speak of the devil, just saw this question listed under 'Popular' ^^

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they use the number of views,like the more people view/open the question, irregardless of whether one answers or not.

• Yeah I thought of this, I think you're right.

• You forgot to mention a time frame.. you don't have many popular questions from a year ago..

In which case it factors in the time of the most recent response. So if you take a question with lots of responses from 5 months ago, and post an answer on it.. it'll most likely appear in the most popular tab. Because it goes by most recent response and not date of question.

• @NotJustAnotherGuy Well I'm assuming it's just using conditional statements, like:

WHILE answer is RECENT

and then after it just pulls the articles with the most views from the database.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• I don't know for certain, but I will guess it's like other "popular" algorithms used on other sites.

The most common way is to give each post a "popularity" rating. The "popularity" rating starts at some arbitrary number just for being new. Every time the post is viewed it's popularity would increase. Popularity goes down over time.

Easiest way to do it, and that's how a lot of other people do it, so that's probably how they did it here :)

• Well, Xper points can be spent on bringing your question to the forefront, but, other than that, I can't say I'm quite certain.

• I've always wondered this.. I also wish the search you can sort by a date range because all my searches brings up stuff from months or years ago.

• I don't. Good question-5 stars

• The rating on your question probably.