Do you refrain from giving advice on certain topic for GaG users "under 18"?

I'm just curious, cauz I've heard about users not wanting to advise the "under 18" users on certain topics, especially when it comes to sexuality.

So my question is...when you see a question and the user is "under 18" (you can see this info even though the user asked anonymously)...

...do you "restrict" any information from your answer to that user due to their age?

Do you answer the question (or comment on their answers) any different than any other user?

Please vote and reply, being as detailed as you wish.

Thanks for fueling my curiosity. 8-)

• There are some topics that I restrict information from "under 18" people on this site
  • I advise the "under 18" group on this site just like everyone else

Most Helpful Guy

• I usually, not always, simply avoid answering questions by those under 18. This is for several reasons.

First, I can sometimes come off as abrasive without intending to, and I have no desire to be mean, intentionally or not, to a kid.

Second, I am one of the older users on this site, and while I think that gives me certain insight in some areas, I feel that I am not as "in touch" with the under 18 crowd as someone who is in their 20s.

Third, teenagers often have an annoying tendency to believe they are right and those that agree with them are stupid, (I submit miabeth2's answer as evidence). While this is a characteristic exhibited by many people, it is particularly annoying to see from young people because of how often they are wrong.

Fourth, I am EXTREMELY careful how I interact with minors in all cases, both online and in person. This is to protect myself from any sort of false accusations that may be leveled at me regarding inappropriate behavior and minors.

What Girls Said 16

• Nah. If they're asking questions about sex that they're having or plan to have, not giving them advice isn't going to make them not have sex :P It's just going to make them have less educated sex.

• It's just that under 18's are so f***ing young, I feel like it should be someone else's job (like a parent's) to give them advice... not random strangers from the internet, even if it's good advice, they shoudn't trust people online... But I am a bit of a hypocrite I was on these site(sex ed type stuff) since I was 12... also lots of p*rn... and I turned out all right! ha ha I just don't want to be the one giving that kid, sex advice..or p*rn videos to watch... if that makes sense...lol

I remember being in sex ed class (4th/5th grade) and knowing more than the teachers! We had an activity were we could ask anon questions and she would answer. I asked "are there female condoms?" (Knowing the answer already) and she said there was no such thing. I was ahead of the game.hahah. I recommend the younger people, read books, and go on trusted sites like wikipedia or something for sex info...

I loved the show "Talk sex" with Sue Joe hanson, any one else ever watch that?

Also Love line with doctor drew!

OH and here's one for the new generation... Laci Green's channel on YouTube, she is super cool/smart:D

• Do you feel comfortable sharing your sex education knowledge with under 18 users on this site, or does that weird you out, too?

There's a difference, you know! :)

• I will give advice for depression/self esteem type stuff also dating and realationships, but for sex I usually f*** around with them..."put a donut of his d*** and eat it off" lol..

• mmm...that sounds kinda fun, as long as she doesn't miss and bite my member :)

• I try not to give sexually explicit advice to people who aren't at the age of consent. I have no authority on the matter, and I don't want to feel like I'm encouraging any illegal activity. It's not my place. Although there are plenty of people who lie bout their age on here, that's not my fault or my problem.

• Just because they are younger does not mean that they don't need advice, if anything they need it more because they just don't know how to handle more adult situations yet. I would rather help them deal with it appropriately then let them figure it out on there own and make a mistake. I wish I had known some of the things I know now back when I was 17.

• Nope, not really. It might affect my take on their situation, but I'm not going to withhold information because of it.

• If I'm answering a question I don't take a whole load of notice of the age group. But under 18 probably needs more advice nowadays than most other age groups

• I think not replying simply because they are under 18 isn't very intelligent. If you answer or not, they will get an answer.Wouldn't you like your opinion out there? (because of course you'll think your opinion is the right one) If no one answers their question, there's a 99.8% chance that question has already been asked here, and if not- this is the internet. They'll find something.

And what if the Under 18 was me? I turn 18 tomorrow, and then you'd have no clue as to if I was 18-24.

• I picked B, but it isn't accurate..

under 18, needs more advice and handling then over 18...

• Of course not.

All people have problems, regardless of age.

• I restrict my advise based solely on the question asked not the age of the user asking it.

• I do, I normally avoid questions from people under 18. I answered questions in the past, If they are talking about things that are important , I might respond. But I try to avoid those types of questions.

• Other?

There are cases where I won't give advice even if I know it, because they're underage and asking something illegal or inappropriate. I'm not going to advise children how to hide the smell or containers of illegal substances, nor will I encourage them through answering how to find or obtain these things. I do not mean the term 'children' offensively or about mental capability, but rather as a physical one. The body, brain, and nervous systems are still growing even into early twenties at times, and since I desire to go into a field where I help people, it's stressful to know they're damaging themselves permanently for a moment of fitting in. But it's not like you can charge into their thread and talk to them about this; they don't care, and it won't matter. So not participating is the only thing I can do.

• I think it depends the kind of advice they're looking. I was 17 3 months ago, so obviously I was in the "under 18" section, but if I was looking for any sex advice, well, I think it was obvious I wasn't 13 or 15. Anyhow, I think GaG started to block the sexuality section to people under 18, isn't?

• AFAIK they were never allowed to post in that section.

• It doesn't stop you. It's just the policy.

• Why should they block it? That's the age people should be provided with as much info and advice as possible

• Haha I saw one where they were asking about sleeping positions but she had a husband and four kids. I was like, O.o whaat? She wasn't very happy with me. :P

• She has 2 sets of multiples and while it seems a too much for anyone that age to handle, I don't know her so who am I to judge

• I usually don't answer them if it's a "complicated relationship" problem but if it's about looks or relationships in general I try to help them out.

• I thought that sexual questions aren't allowed because there's a reporting button for that?

• There's a difference between sexual and explicit, if that's what you mean.

• Yes I noticed that too, like if you are under 18 and ask anything remotely sexual they take it off. Kinda sad too because then what's the point of this website if you can't ask some questions?

• I'm guessing it's something to do with legal liability. I don't know about reported questions. I think only admins see those.

What Guys Said 11

• I am MORE encouraged to answer questions from users under 18, especially about sexuality.

I just don't agree with society's little attitude about the age of 18 being so magical, it restricts knowledge to the younger generation who are really the ones who need it. The people seem to be under this illogical impression that if kids don't know much about sex then they won't have it. The thing is their knowledge is often rather low and since nobody will give them more they assume there is no more to know and then assume they know it all.

One of the few times I feel I'm actually helping someone on this website is when I answer a question about sex from someone under 18, even if legitement questions aren't that common.

• I have to concur. "Sheltering" the young people imo is counter-productive and foolish.

• As long as you're not encouraging someone who isn't sexually active to become active, I don't see a problem with it. If they've already made that decision they have the same problems as anyone else who has sex but probably need the advice even more because of their maturity level.

• No, I do not answer their questions, because I find the situation so frustrating. You see the underage are free to read what ever smut has been posted here by any degenerate literate enough to type a post, but it is not allowed that they get an answer to a legitimate question. If I answer their question, the question and my answer will be deleted. Frustrating. I have long opposed this position by GAG. It is my belief that if the underage is mature enough to form a question, they should be mature enough to get an answer.

• As a former moderator I can tell you it's against the rules to post anything sexually explicit (even factual information, instructions, etc..) when it is intended to be read by someone under 18 and we were told to delete anything like that when it fell under a minor's question. Definitely a shortcoming of our society that we pretend we can control information and in the course of trying we end up causing people to get distorted, wrong, and incomplete info in the mean time that can cause lasting damage, emotional or otherwise.

• i am an under 18, and I really like the advice, it's nice to get advice from people other than your friends and parents, people who don't know you and can just answer your opinion without the bias of knowing me personally. and I find it odd that I've been on this site for about 4 days now, and I've been advising people in their 30s? and they always come back and message me about how my advice worked? is that weird for a 17 year old guy?

• I usually delete explicit questions from them when I see them. I usually try to make sure they at least understand that they're not supposed to be asking in that section.

• Wait...under 18 users aren't allowed to ask questions in the sexuality section?

IF that's true, I disagree with that, cauz minors are some of the people that need advice about sex (education-wise, not position/pleasure-wise) the most. :(

• I think it's a legal thing.

• I don't take most notice of the age groups, I would answer all the time same though.

Why? Have you seen children, and teenagers these days? They're in need of help, and those with enough courage to improve themselves by gaining knowledge are definitely welcome in my book to ask me for help. If my knowledge even as limited as it is, can help them, gladly will share it.

• I don't even notice if someone is under 18 until generally after I've answered. I don't really care.

• no...I need the easy points to pass the other top users.

• I don't answer any differently, but I take the questioner's age into account when it comes to how detailed the advice is I give. If they're about to do something stupid I will advise them of that as I would anyone else and if they're planning something sexual then advise them to do it with all available safety and precautions, otherwise they'll probably still do it but be uninformed. With lack of age and experience the most important thing they need is to be directed to be directed towards well adjusted decisions and to be careful as well as to consider whether what they're doing is in response to an honest emotion or just raging hormones.

...Also I tend to answer as an annon. when they're that young

• Why do you go anonym when answering "under 18" questions?

• There's a risk of looking like a mentor to younger people when you're willing to speak frankly about certain subjects, and I'd rather they didn't seek me out directly every time they have a question about sex because then it gets creepy.

• i advise everybody the same, not like the parents can sue me for giving their kids wrong information