Is this just strange?

ok, I've been here on GAG for about 4 days now. I find it kind of odd that a lot of people won't advise the under 18 people like me (about certain topics)

but yet I'm 17 and I've been giving advise to tons of 18-40 year olds about stuff like serious relationships, marrage, dating, etc.. and they eat it up!? I mean I've already had like 10 messages from people saying that they followed my advice and everything worked out better than they hoped?!

what is with this?

i understand why people don't want to advize about the sexual topics, I just wonder why a lot of these same people are all taking the advice of a 17yr old!? and why am I managing to be able to give advice that they listen to?

Most Helpful Girl

• I occasionally will give advice without even looking at the age, but sometimes after I read the question it makes me glance up at the age and I decide not to lol.

I don't know.. I don't think its really "strange" but I personally feel uncomfortable telling a teenager how to sexually please their partner lol. I know its happening anyway and I wasn't innocent a few years ago by far, but its just awkward.

A lot like what timetowaste said, its like indirectly stepping on toes of the parents. Though there are many mature teens its hard to tell the difference based on a question in text on a site like this you know?

Glade you can help people though with your advice(:

• the real trick is just to pay attention to the topic, I guess, it's obvious who's mature and who isn't when their questions are about nothing but sex, I mean yea... I've had sex before... but I'm not about to go on here and ask for pointers!?

• Well the topic most adults are avoiding are sexually related. So one might be a responsible teen that's going to start being sexually active, but we have no way of knowing how mature one would be about that just through text in a question. @update: Maybe you're mature for your age and give sound advice, but that won't make people feel less awkward telling you to/how to do things sexually related.

• yea, I don't want to know anything more about sexually related stuff, I mean, there's no point to asking? I guess I'm just one of those people that finds sexual topics with teens to be inappropriate and unbecoming.

What Girls Said 9

• ahahahah because we don't want to give you ideas about certain things. It's just the way it goes. when these people were your age they were treated the same way. It's not that we don't recognize that some people who are still younger than us aren't mature. Some people that are around your age or younger may or can be more mature than some of their peers.

But that isn't always the case. it's all about them being impressionable or giving ideas that they shouldn't have in the first place. It feels weird too to give someone who is underage advice or techniques about sex and such.

If there is advice given from mi then I try to keep it clean and not go into much detail and always the be safe thing because I know that people under 18 have sex and do things that they aren't suppose to do.

it just doesn't seem like something right for a person who is older to do I suppose. doesn't really have anything to do with the person themselves just the point of life that they are at. I believe that you are never too young to experience the realities of life but sometimes you want to protect something that seems fragile...Even if they are not. =P

• People don't feel comfortable giving advice to minors about certain things. Not the kind of advice they'd give to someone older atleast. As a parent, I wouldn't really feel comfortable with random people advising my kid on what to do when it might clash with what I'm trying to morally teach them. I feel like I'm indirectly stepping on parents toes when I give advice, for example, about sexual things to minors, other than the typical "Don't do it, and use protection if you do happen to do it anyway"

• Usually the only topic that people don't advise under 18 users is the sexual one because really who wants to give an underage person advice about sex.

Also, your question could just not be answerable or isn't attracting users to answer it (too long, confusing, etc).

• First of all, no one can stop you giving advice. What you do is your decision.

The problem with sex is so many kids think they're ready for it when they're really not. It's hard to encourage a bad decision.

Lastly, it's much easier to give advice than to follow it. You can give decent advice repeating what everyone else has said. But following it is harder. If we tell you all about sex and then say, "But make sure you're really ready," you're likely to ignore the last part and just focus on the sex advice, because you want it so badly.

• I guess I don't answer as many questions from teenagers. I'm not intentionally discriminating against them, it's the questions themselves. A lot of times, I read them and think, This is such an obvious question. When you're a teenager, you don't have as much experience. When you get older--even by just a little bit--you start to make sense of things. And then the questions from teens become annoying, because *you* know that they'll figure it out in time, but to *them*, they're pressing questions. Those are the ones I ignore.

As for taking advice from teenagers, I'm surprised so many people listen to you, honestly. If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't ;)

• lol, I just find it slightly disconcerting, I mean wtf? I had one lady who literally STAKED HER MARRIAGE on my advice...(thank god it worked right) I've been on here for like 3 days now, and I'm up to like 100 answers and like 3-4 BA's

• It is disconcerting. I think I started on here when I was 18. Then, I actually wanted to help people. After a while, I realized that it was just the same questions over and over, sometimes from the same people. And messages from people treating me like a therapist. I'm a supporter of people doing things by trial and error rather than coming here and asking for a step-by-step guide. I think this site is too much of a crutch for some people, so I don't really sign in anymore.

• A lot of people use the filter to only see 18 and up users. When it comes to questions like teen sexuality, it makes people a little queasy to leave advice. We can either give impractical advice of 'wait to have sex when you're an adult/married/whatever' which we all know won't happen, or we can the same advice that we would give to someone 18+ thus encouraging the higher statistics of teen pregnancy. To top it off, just thinking about sexual questions in regards to minors almost feel pedo-ish...Yeah uncomfortable. There's many obnoxious teen girls that talk about their crushes, how no one will ever love them, and other topics in a unintelligent manner (there's definitely adults that do this too- I've seen them), but as an age group I'd say teens are the worst. Unfortunately that filter also blocks out the intelligent, mature teen users so you end up getting shafted. Sorry.

If it helps any, I obviously don't use that filter! :D

• you have not been tarnished yet! true heart. My 12yr old knows the truth. Kids know truth. They know how it feels in the gut. I hope you stay that way.

• thanks! I just say it the way I see it, so many people get so confused and they just either overthink stuff, or they're all upset and don't take the time to think it through logically,

• you have a point there

• i know... it sucks. I had to wait until after I turned 18 and was put into the 18-24 bracket for anyone to take me seriously.

• yea, that wasn't remotely what this was about. I don't want to ask about sexual stuff. I know enough to do what needs doing, and honestly enough people ask the same questions that you can just read other peoples responses to the other person's question

• i mean that some people won't take my advice because of my age and they don't think I could possibly give them a mature answer...

• see, that's wierd, because that's what I meant,! I expect them not to take my advice. but like 50% of them do! then they message me talking about how I'm like some kind of love guru!?

What Guys Said 2

• I'll be honest: folks under 18 I regard as so immature, so deficient intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually, that any advice I might give them would be wasted, misunderstood, misapplied, or outright ignored.

As for you giving advice to older people, well I wouldn't assume that it's unwarranted or unhelpful, but I do know that folks in that 16-28 age range tend to think they know just about everything. It's textbook narcissism.

• i know I don't know everything, for me to assume that I do is just outright dumb, and by the way, your whole thing about " so deficient intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually, that any advice I might give them would be wasted, misunderstood, misapplied, or outright ignored." yea... try to be less insulting next time, I understand that the world is full of idiots, but try not to lump the ones of us with a brain in that group would ya?

• Hey man, if what I wrote doesn't apply to you, then you needn't be offended. If it does apply to you then keep complaining, it won't change what you are.

• Man you don't want the advice this website has for people your age anyway. Or- people our age.

• yea, I've seen some messed up crap since I've been on here, I just use GAG because I like to help people with their problems, I'm that guy that all my friends have emotional breakdowns on, and I honestly don't mind it, I just like to help other people.

• lol, see I don't bother doing that, I'm one of those guys that won't hit on a girl unless I already like her, personality is everything for me, but I also will only date smart girls, bimbo's just get on my nerves. but I'm not opposed to the smart "little miss innocent" girls, that's the way my last girlfriend was, and well... you know what they say about the preacher's daughter

• WELL AIN'T YOU A PEACH