Why "girls"? It doesn't say "boys", but "guys". Should it be "Gals"? Anyone care?

Maybe it is me, but,you cease being a girl (or boy) at puberty.

So why the double standard. I try not to call teens boys or girls, think this should be Gals ask Guys.

Am I the only one who even gives a d*mn?

Ok, here it goes. Boy/girl defined usually as child.

Gal/guy, older child, teen.

Based my comment on what young women (not related or dating) have said to me. Parents can use girl, nothing can do, but don't like it when others do.

Apparently, they are not on GAG.
Didn't expect such intense reactions. Question wss inspired by 4 women (ages 16-29). Yes, gals is more American...they wanted it posed, I did. Keep it coming.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. I don't.

To me, it implies someone made it closer to my age bracket.

A girl is a girl (teen - late twenties)

A woman is a woman (30s +)

A boy is a boy (child age - 5-teen)

A guy is a guy (teen to late twenties)

A man is a man (late twenties +)

I don't think it's meant offensively.

They could have named the site "Damsel & Chap" and then people would have complained it's posh and british.

My point is, there's lots of words to describe one thing, if it's not the word, tough bresticles. Not everyone on this site is 63, one of the first lessons of English A-level (of which I have a very high qualification in) is language is constantly changing. We could still doth and yonder, but things have moved on, and I'm afraid if you're not prepared to let a few things go, you're going to be left behind in the times.

p.s. I'm 19.

• Btw, I didn't state it, but I think "gal" is an American term for girl. Which links into my previous points.

• I have friended you. :) I'm lovely really.

What Girls Said 13

• I see what you're saying, and that thought actually hasn't really occurred to me before.

Anyhow, coming from a marketing/business perspective, girlsaskguys just sounds a lot better/the best than any other combination of gender words. It sticks in the mind, is easier to pronounce, and has a more cohesive "flow" to it. So that being said, I can see why they went the route that they did.

• Girls like being called girls. Guys like being men not boys. But Girls and Guys start with the same letter. Not GAM or GAB... That's weird. GAG. :D

• Yeah, I kind of wish there was a better casual word for young adult women besides "gal" because it sounds kind of outdated and obnoxious, haha. GAAAAL.

• Interesting thought. That never even crossed my mind. I see what you're saying, but no, I don't really care as much as you do lol

• Nobody says "gals."

Yes, boys and girls are terms generally used to refer to young children. However, I use girls to refer to females my age (in their 20s) because saying "woman" just sounds weird. It almost sounds too formal. That's why I never really use "man." Instead, I use "guy" Guy is a lot less formal. I don't use boy because it sounds too childish, but guy works great.

There just is no other word to refer to a female other than the usual girl and women.

Whereas guys have boy, guy and man.

• sometimes I say lady also. But in terms of this site, they wanted something simple and something that sounded good. So two G's (girls and guys). Gals and guys just sounds too country and ...lame to be honest.

• I would love that! also ladies and gents:) It sounds classy and mature! Yeah it sounds old fashion espiecally in a generation that uses "OMG" "WTF" but I think proper English should make a come back, sounding like a preteen on AIM is so 2000's! haha

• gal and girl are the same thing,so I don't have an issue with it

• Isn't "gal" just the sloppy version of "girl"?

• "boy" I feel like you say it to a boy to a kid and I don't say that to a grown man because He may think I am calling him a kid and I may offend him so I say guys or men, I never say boy at all or gals because it is just doesn't fit and Guys is cool, I like it over boys.

• I don't really care... But I think it has something to do with what's popular to say. No one really says gals anymore, and guys is kind of universal 'male'. Don't fret about it too much. It's just a website.

• Well I honestly don't like to be called "gal" I just don't like the sound of it. lol So even teens I call the females "girls/ladies/women" and the males I call "guys/men"(usually guys). lol

• I don't think the titles should change at puberty, and they usually don't either. Females can hit puberty anywhere between around seven and their late teens. I won't call a child a woman just because she has a cycle. I know males hit puberty usually a bit later than females, but I've never seen a twelve year old boy deserving of the title "man" either.

These titles almost seem earned from a combination of experience, maturity and age, rather than just age alone. I know females in their twenties I'd still call girls, as they really haven't "grown up", however subjective that term is. And yet there are others, even younger at times, I'd call women simply because they embody whatever that term means.

And as to "Gal" in and of itself, I've heard elderly men call their ladies "Ol' Gals," as a slang spin on "Girl," meaning it as the same word. From my experience and point of view, the word is not used for a specific age bracket so much as it's used for people from a certain era.

• Gals just sounds expired. XD I dunno, I don't mind.

• Come to think of it, if you want google hits, you'd type girls.

What Guys Said 4

• Gals is a very outdated term that is rarely used anymore except for a few areas. In addition, guys and boys is much more age specific, while girls allows for a much larger range of ages.

• galsasklads.com

• I agree with everything except "guys and boys is much more age specific". I think a "boy" could be up to the age of 20 (depending on context, and possibly even older than 20), and you could call teenagers or anyone older a "guy".

• Tomato patato

• I always thought they weren't girls/guys when they have fully matured but I think the site fits the name because its geared towards the 18-24 age group

• It should be hoesaskbros.