Do you ever wonder why some people go anonymous?

I go anon some times, but I think I have good reason, but then I see people posting anon on something where I wouldn't think it's necessary at all.

For example-

Q-"What's your favorite color?"

A- "Blue."

(Okay, I've never seen THAT situation, but pretty close! :P )

What do you think? Do you do this? Why?

I understand why some people would use anon like on sexual Q&A's, or something voicing their opinion, but I was talking about the things that don't seem like anything at all.

And I'm 99% sure you can turn off friend request & people able to send you messages who aren't your friend.

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally, I tend to use it when I'm trying to keep personally things anonymous, I don't want something openly coming back to bite me in the rump, or I am trying to say something, but am concerned that I may offend someone and not be able to explain myself well enough to keep from coming off as a jerk instead of just trying to tell it like it is. I'm not one to go out of my way to be overly blunt or malicious, but for example people have asked for opinions of politics, or how they look. I wouldn't just call someone a "lard ass" or something, but I'd say hey, you look to be over weight, but if you're concerned about it, and want to ditch some weight as I personally have, message me for tips and stuff, maybe I could help. Then if they want the advice I message them or leave my user name in a message.

Some people see that as extremely insulting so I don't want that attached to me, just like I don't want people taking this answer the wrong way so I went anon.

I hope this answers your question I wish you good luck in finding an appropriate answer to your question. Cheers.

What Guys Said 6

• Maybe some people are just that insecure about voicing how they feel about something. When I am feeling good about myself I am far less likely to go anon. This site does have a lot of sex related topics, and many other topics that could be seen as sexist, or racist. Once they get into the habit of going anon, they my not even think twice about going anon on any question.

Also some people start crap over the dumbest stuff. If they don't like your answer they start trolling you. Some people just start going anon to avoid that happening, or to avoid someone that has been bothering them.

• I rarely answer anon, if you don't agree with my thoughts or answer then that's your problem, but I always give my honest to god opinion were it is needed, because you might never know that it was the right thing to change a persons view on something and lead em on the right path.

When I do answer anon then it might be answering a question with a very personal experience which I'd rather keep secret, but still want to help the person with.

I do keep my profile now a secret and don't use my real picture anymore, because of hateful remarks from trolls and idiots.

• I can see women taking precautions, but setting a profile private and using a dummy avatar can probably keep away most creeps.

For guys I dunno, I never plan on answering anon.

Then there's the obvious; flamers, trolls, and just mean people who lack the guts to be mean and show themselves, but that's true about the interent on the whole.

• if its a girl, she probably just doesn't wanna get harassed by the creeps.

guys, idk, could be any or many reasons.

i've never asked or answered a Q anon.

it says it does tho, I don't know why...

• Adding you ok

• I had something important to talk to you about. You don't ALWAYS have to be a peckerwood to me do you?

• I don't like you. I don't have to like you.

So just make your life easier and leave me alone or I'll block you.

• I do it on every question I answer for the same reasons that peace.love.couture mentioned. At first it was only for the more controversial questions because I didn't want to be judged by some people on certain issues. Then I started to do it on everything, so I wouldn't get friend requests or anything like that. I stay anonymous so I don't have to turn people down and feel like a d*** for doing so. I hate meebo. lol

• Can't you change you're privacy options to where you can't get request though?

• I don't know. I've never checked. This way is much simpler. No one knows me. No one cares. Plus, I think I seem like less of a d*** if I stay anonymous versus people liking my answers, trying to be my friend on here, and then realize I don't care to be.

It just seems simpler to do this and not be bothered with it whatsoever.

• I have no idea actually

What Girls Said 4

• I do sometimes ask questions under anon just because I'm too embarrassed especially on the sexuality board. I've probably done that about 3 times. But I've never answered questions anon.

• Because 1) A lot of users will hold grudges, more specifically when it comes to religious and political views. I don't mean questioning people on their mixed views, I mean they hold grudges simply because you believe in "XYZ" & 2) Some people don't want friend requests or messages. They use the site as a Q/A site, not for socializing

Also, I think there's one girl who often asks Qs in the health section and I think she has a dummy account and always awards her main account BA. Both accounts are always anonymous. I never realized it until a few other members told her to stop doing it, because it's becoming more obvious

• so guys don't know I exist on this site.

I don't even have pictures up and I still get creepy messages from guys.

• It could be recurring users with new troll accounts trying to gain exp points.