You get downvotes just for telling a girl she's pretty on here?

There was this question about a girl wondering if she had the looks for hooters. I told her she looked really beautiful, and I got a lot of downvotes for that. What gives?

link

Here's the question

Most Helpful Guy

• Many possibilities, such as some may object to the phrase "God damn" (that is offensive to many who are devout), and patrons of Hooters may object to the reference of them being "sleazy guys".

Often when someone agrees with an answer, a simple up vote makes that clear. If a guy says he like redheads and gets an up vote, it would seem obvious that someone is expressing agreement with him. But a down vote is not clear. Does it mean the voter dislikes redheads? Does it seem that the answer does not fit the question? (I like redheads would be a poor answer to "Do you prefer intelligence over humor in a gf/bf?") Sometimes it is just somebody who dislikes what one person has been posting and is down voting him (her) every chance possible. If you really want to see dome down votes without good reason, just post a political thought that goes against what many think! For instance, the current presidential race. Does not matter which way you lean, people will disagree and many will down vote without comment. I think that often many vote but do not comment because they do not have a clear thought in their head.

There are times a down vote is clear. If someone is spewing hatred, such as against a race, religion, or whatever, then a down arrow is pretty clear.

For the most part I would like to see the people who vote an answer down take the time to comment about their reason, rather than being so lazy as to just click on the down arrow. I suspect that many do not comment when they down vote because when you comment on an answer, you can not do it anonymously. If they could, perhaps more would post a reason. But being able to do that anonymously may entice more hatred type comments, so it might be best as is.

What Girls Said 13

• They wouldn't have got the job at hooters :3 (down voters)

that or they thought you were kissing booty

maybe they hate you and the girl?

lots of reasons people aren't that picky when it comes for reasons to down-vote

• I remember that question...

link

• because there are a lot of a**holes on this site, I once got downvoted for saying I don't think it's OK to cheat... |-(

• Some people may have not thought she was pretty. It's all a matter of opinion. Those people just disagreed with you, that's what the down vote button is for...does it really matter? Everyone gets down voted when people disagree with their opinion. It's not that big of a deal.

• It's not that big of a deal, but its still odd to me. and others in that question called her pretty too and yet I got the most downvotes. its weird...

• oh well, just haters. Don't let them phase you :P

• Yeah, plenty but it wasn't a question about hooters, rather things that were much more subdued.

Did someone really ask about hooters? This seems so trollish. :P

• yeah, see the link

• haha I guess it's the people who think she's not suitable / enough of a looker for that job.

• They don't agree with your opinion or just jealous bitches.

• they just didn't share your opinion.

• I think it was what you said about the guys oggeling her to death lol.

• I've never downvoted for that reason I can downvote for any reason I please. See, I just downvoted your answer. Get over it.

• People will downvote the DUMBEST things just because hahaha. Like if someone asked, "What's your favorite color?" and you answered, "Yellow" someone would dislike it... if someone asked, "How often do you cut your hair?" and you said, "A couple times a month" someone would dislike it haha.

Doesn't matter if its fact or personal opinion/preference there's always someone who's going to dislike it. Maybe their favorite color was blue and they cut their hair once a year... who knows hahaha. Now here comes the downvotes for calling them out.

• Well people are stupid and downvote when they don't agree. Opinions are not facts.

• ahhhh... don't worry... it's not the end of the world... people tend to speak their minds in many ways

• Probably jealous girls.

What Guys Said 5

• don't let it get to ya. Won't be the last, I once got 16 and asked for more to become the G@G all time down voted answer. Didn't get it though, I guess even the trolls after some begging stop feeding the animals too.

• Thank you for BA. Hope your experience on this site gets better.

• Some people do nothing but hate on here. Gotta get use to it.

• I don't see any wrong telling a girl she is pretty. But when I saw somebodys answer with 7 downvotes, lol they think they own her, but they don't nothing wrong with complimenting a girl. I do it if I have too.

• Trust me-you'll get them for absolutely little reason, or no reason. Gotta love it here.