Best Answer--How come most askers never select one?

Why do people ask questions, and then never go back to pick the best answer?

I'd think GAG would have a prompt to make sure the question asker goes back to pick the best answer.

What do you think is an appropriate time frame to select a best answer?

Most Helpful Girl

• I try to always select one but I find it hard when I ask questions that ask for answers which are subjective. In that case sometimes I just pick a funny answer or something I really agree with and/or they put a lot of thought in to their answer.

I assume a lot of people just don't care so they don't ever do it or they are waiting for more answers, or maybe they just forget.

• @update Whatever you think is right. I usually wait until my question isn't in the first few pages of the section ("other", "sexuality", "behavior" etc... ) or sometime within the week because I don't usually get anymore answers after that.

• Thank you(:

• You're welcome. It wouldn't be a very good question if I didn't pick one myself.

What Girls Said 8

• A prompt is good (to deny or accept).

I like to give BA but sometimes I take awhile because there are answers that I find equally good or some are just not good at all so it takes me awhile to get around to it.

They might not know about the BA function, when I was new it took me a few days before I found out what it was and I didn't care for it either (still gave out BAs though).

Now there's not much else to do on this site so I like BAs now, gives me something to look forward to... weird. :P

But yeah, sometimes BA isn't picked because there is no appropriate/good answer!

• Few hours - 2 days.

Within that time the people who were able to answer will have answered and even if it doesn't have many replies, as time goes by, new posts flood that area and the old ones get pushed back so the chances of it being replied to after are slim.

• sometimes you just forget a prompt would be a good idea

• I'm a little guilty ..but do try and go back and pick best answer

I think waiting two weeks is good because it is really easy to find answers after a few days picking in less than a day is ridiculous unless only one person answered and they cleared up everything a qa was concerned about

• dont want to make anyone feel bad.

dont want to deter new answers coming in

cant decide

• Update. I don't think forcing people to pick BA, is reasonable. In posting answers there is no definitive time frame, so how can there be with, BA?

I think when you are finished asking the question, that's the time to choose BA. and a lot of times, people are still looking for view points.

• Lol maybe they're waiting for more answers or they just simply can't pick one.

• I think that's a good idea, too - about the prompt. They should be reminded after their question has been posted for a certain amount of time. I think toulose gave the most common reasons most of us might not want to choose best answers so quickly. I think I tend to be more determined to find a best answer depending on how urgent my question is.

• Maybe they're too busy getting laid.

• I agree. There's gotta be a best answer. Even if its not perfect, I think there's always one that's full of effort and more original than the others.

What Guys Said 4

• It might be that xper point hunting has turned into a game for many of us, but for those who actually ask questions without xper hunting as a basic drive it simply doesn't occur to them that selecting a best answer will make a difference.

• Why does it even matter lol? Me I just offer my insights and experiences and if anyone finds them helpful then that's good for me.

• Because if people spend their time to answer your question, it should be rewarded. You get extra points if you have the best answer.

• meh, I'm not in it for the reward points, now when an asker sends a message here to me saying I really helped, that's a reward.

Still a prompt or reminder would be an easy fix, especially since many newcomers may not be aware of that features.

• Either they're lazy, they're hit and run posters that don't come back, or like me when I don't select one, I don't see any best answer.

• Maybe it's just like in life - most often there is no single best answer for things.

Just peoples' opinions, perspectives, their past, their upbringing, outlooks on life.

Why should there be a best answer? As long as it works, everyone's got a best answer.

On the other hand, those SAQs on my desk actually demand single best answers.