When you ask a question on here, what do you want?

I mean like, are you honestly asking because you want the truth or are you waiting for someone to give the answer you were hoping for?

Looking at the way people rate answers, if everyone was honest I bet option one will win

• I ask questions hoping for a specific answer
  • I ask questions wanting an honest response
  • Other (explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of my questions are ones that I actually do need some advice on. I could easily solve the problem myself but this site is nice for a timekiller or if I'm too bored or lazy to think of the answers myself, or if I'm just completely clueless.

I usually have a certain type of answer I'm looking for, but I put that in the question's description if there is indeed a possible answer I'd get that I know I wouldn't accept. For example, if I wanted to ask a girl out, one possible answer I could get would be "don't ask her out in the first place - she's not worth it". But that wouldn't quite be an answer I'd accept because I would already have decided to ask the girl out, and would just have needed some advice on how to do it.

But, if someone has an answer and explains it very well, even if it wasn't what I was expecting or the type of answer I was planning on even considering, I would definitely give it a chance and either take some advice from it or actually follow it.

• Lol thanks for best answer. I like how you waited 25 days :P checking your old questions and choosing BAs or something haha?

• haha I was checking questions I had forgot to award cause I hate when people do that lol

• Hahaha. Yeah I like to do that sometimes but a lot of the time it's such a hassle if you have a lot of questions...

What Guys Said 6

• I want the honest truth. If I wanted people to tell me what I want to hear I'd ask the people around me. I'm also looking for other peoples point of view because they may have ideas that I haven't thought of .

• I ask questions because I want an honest answer. Maybe in the frame of mind I'm in, I'm not thinking clearly, and if others tell me I'm wrong, then I'm probably wrong, but having strangers tell me I'm wrong makes it easier and seems more honest than a friend telling me the same thing. Most friends tell you just what you want to hear, but it's probably not how they really feel/think.

• I agree!

But I really think some people on here don't want the truth given the way they rate answers and only comment on the ones that match the preferred outcome in their question

• I agree, but, to each their own. They'll figure it out one day.

• I don't ask very delicate questions anyway, as I'm here to answer, those questions I ask are for fun, and there aren't specific answers I "expect" - actually I already know how the answers will look - there will be some sensible answers, some deeply thoughtful answers, some funny answers and some angry answers.

That's how it is.

• Usually I want honest answers, but sometimes I have a hypothesis, which is one of the offered answers.

• A cookie...Mmm me love cookies.

• When I ask questions, I'm looking for different point of views, not expecting any specific answers.

What Girls Said 5

• I want honest answers even if its not what I want to hear.

• I see in the poll that most voted for an honest answer, but the truth of the matter is when you give an honest answer, they get all butt hurt and start down voting and/or insulting you.

• That's when you give an honest but rude or offensive answer. And often it's a sensitive topic (in the case you described), so it can be hard not to be offensive with your answer, but there are ways of giving an answer the QA didn't exactly hope to receive while being very nice and delicate about it. It's a hassle but I don't mind being extra careful when I give answers, unless the QA really pissed me off with his/her stupid question.

• Yeah but sometimes the answer is not even offensive, and they still act like that.

• True. But I find that most of the users on GAG are actually pretty chill and don't get offended like that for no reason.

• I believe I already have an opinion on my question

and I just ask to see how other people view the same

subject . . . :) it's interesting realizing how many different

opinions are out there . .:)

• I want the truth.

• The truth of course