What do you think when a member of the opposite gender adds you as a friend on GaG?

I'm constantly being added as friend on GaG, usually by guys, a few girls added me and I've added a few girls as friends too, I've never added a guy to friends myself.

Sometimes you they try to chat you up in messages and such, but why? Do you guys who do this really think you might have a chance with some of the girls here?

I don't really have a problem with it, I just don't really understand why you guys do it, most of the guys who add me as well are generally American, I'm from Europe so it's not like we even live close.

I usually accept every add since I've no problem with talking to anyone really, but I honestly don't have any intention whatsoever in ever dating someone from here, or meeting up etc, constantly being asked for my MSN, Facebook, phone number, email etc etc.

Like if people wanna add me and ask questions or need some advice, than great, that's sort of why I like this site, but really...

I'm kinda getting tired of people trying to chat me up.

I know I'm doing this anonymously, but if you're the type of guy that does this sort of thing, maybe you should re-think this a bit?

I can't talk about every girl of course, but honestly I find it a bit creepy...

Just to point it out, that almost all the guys who've added me and messaged me, I don't think I've even spoke to any of them in a question, I don't think so at least.

As I just said as a comment to one of the other comments, when a guy adds me and the first thing he says is "your so hot/sexy" or something like that, I just immediately think that he wants to have sex (I sort of think the same IRL too so that is probably why), I just don't see why you'd say that first without even knowing me.

Most Helpful Guy

• The friend requests I get is after making a direct comment to someone. I should hope that it was governed by how they related to what I said and in turn wanted to get more insight into my thoughts and opinions. Though this is a site where the broken heart, the lost and confused come to find comfort in the words of those who have them to offer. Sometimes in responses people connect to others in what they have said thus prompting them to interact as they have sparked an interest. In this age of texting, and IM's a response could be viewed as a sign to some as you having an interest in them. I personally do not understand it but it is a new reality of the 21st century where social norms no longer exist. Cyber ones how ever well that's a hole new story. Perhaps these individuals are of the extreme "social rejects" in there daily lives. Thus the only way the can talk to a female in such context is behind the stroke of there key... None the less we have the ability to not entertain these individuals and if we choose to "chat" them up we can make it clear that there is no chance that anything would happen... Just my two cents for what its worth...

What Guys Said 11

• 1. A very common thing to happen to a girl especially one who's labelled 'under 18'

2. Adding on as friend generally is a common factor even though after that there may be no interaction - I have quite a few ladies who have added me on as friend but that's cause they liked my answers. Ofcourse there are a very wee bit few of them who tried to cyber out here too but I suspect they may be men masquerading using a woman's profile

3. Most people try their luck out anywhere even if it's not a sex or dating site - that is a general and common thing on the internet based sites

4. Asking for your other personal details is just trying to push it further since you've already accepted their 'friend request' :)

5. One of the best things to do is to maintain a 'private profile' that way finding you is not so easy too :)

• 2/3 of friend requests never speak to me.

The next most common category is girls who add me. They then tell me a long drawn out story about this guy they kind of know and does he maybe like them and what should they do? After a few hours of questioning they often admit 'kind of know' includes 'slept with him a few times'.

• i just like to talk to new people and get to know them...im talking to a girl from west virginia right now(texting) even though we both have no intentions on getting together. I can understand why you feel creeped out depending on some of the guys you talked to.

• I think based on an answer I made they may think I'd be interesting to talk with. You not wanting the attention is cool but I think a lot of girls do like attention. Guys know that women tend to not want to make an effort to start conversations even if its casual internet talking, they just aren't sure who wants the attention and who likes it.

• It's not so much the not wanting attention thing, like I said I enjoy talking to people and stuff, I'm just not interested in being hit on, and that's the vast majority of guys who PM me.

The first PM is always something along the lines "You're so sexy", which you know is nice and all, but I don't really want it go any further than that...

• A lot of people date over the internet now a days I guess. I don't really get it either.

• see guys always jump at the chance to say or do things with girls. because we know women won't do it. you just have to bring yourself to realize if you care enough to try simple as that if not leave it alone XD

• There are both guys and girls on the site who have insecurities and are more comfortable flirting online than in real life. I don't see GAG as a dating site, but nor do I think you or I should deprive others of the right to flirt if they so desire.

Perhaps state on your profile that you're not interested in dating anyone online?

• If you find it creepy when guys talk to you about general stuff and are friendly towards you, then maybe you are a lesbian? Talk is talk, it's harmless. Getting to know people is part of life. Just because someone is friendly towards you, enjoys talking to you (finds you interesting), and wants to keep in touch, doesn't mean they are out to date you or sleep with you... You're thinking way too far ahead on this thing.

• Did you even read what I said? I have no problem with conversations about general stuff, I don't really have any problems with quesitons that are further than that (sexual for example), I just have no interest at all in dating someone from here and yet I've been on this site now for about 2 weeks and can name over 20 guys who've tried hitting on me...I can even name one woman that did too...

But no I'm not a lesbian, I'm not even bisexual.

• Playing around, and flirting is kind of normal in conversation. Does it mean they think they are going to sleep with you, not really. They are just having fun. =/

• "She must have liked one of my answers/wants to go deeper into the subject."

• I usually think they want a penis pic.

• I lost my virginity to a girl on this site and I've met girls off of here before. I also know plenty of people who have not only gotten married because of this site but are currently dating because of this site. I'm not saying you're wrong to not do it but you shouldn't disapprove of other people just because you don't do it!

• I don't, I don't really have any problem whatsoever with people that meet that way, I guess I'm just not very good at explaining it.

It's just I'm being added by people every day and every day a different person is trying to hit on me in PMs and stuff, honestly I just don't want that...

• I've already got it set to private for some time now and I've no trouble with people adding me, I'm fine with that, I like answering questions and stuff, if a guy messages me looking for a girls opinion etc, that's fine by me.

I just don't like it when they are trying to hit on me, meh.

Why would this be removed? D:

• Do you feel as though you are cheating when they do this (assuming you have a boyfriend)?

...and because it's a question related to GAG, it's not allowed

• so far two persons have sent FR to me. one male and one female. its not something special. just FR. one because she always keeps FR to every member. while the other one maybe because he appreciated my answer on his question.

What Girls Said 2

• No matter what their age, past experience has made me automatically assume they want to hit on me or attempt to have internet sex.

• Yea, this is sort of what I'm getting at, every time I get a new PM from a guy I've not spoken too before, it'll be like "Oh you're so sexy" or something like that.

I immediately think that he just wants to have sex with me, I'm not really interested in that.

• Exactly. GAG is not a dating site. It's not a p*rno site. It's a question site. Learn the difference, guys.

• If you don't have a photo of yourself as your profile picture, then people won't know what you look like. Then when they message you, you'll know it's for conversation over something you mentioned in your opinions rather than to hit on you. I think you'll be fine if you just use your personality avatar as your profile pic.