Why have a private profile if you can always make things up, specially on GAG?

You don't even need to post a picture and you can have any name. So why be so paranoid?

... or is it just an easy way to avoid filling up all those details required on a profile?
I think people on GAG have a general tendency to think that every question is some kind of finger pointing at them or it is trying to raise some kind of debate. That is why the culture of GAG is to shoot zingers and counter zingers. All I wanted to gauge was if GAG is beginning to be just another form of Facebook or a socializing website rather than a Q&A site.
...and I just changed my profile. I think that will make some people happy.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you're underestimating how pathetic certain users are.

Case in point, *as soon* as I would open my profile up, somebody would start reporting all my obsolete answers from 6 months ago.

Now if someone's existence is that devoid of meaning that they actually trawl through my answers until they found something mildly objectionable, it just goes to show you can't be too cautious where internet privacy is concerned. Most are harmlessly creepy, there's the odd malevolent few though.

• While it's a bit more blunt than how I perhaps would have put it - which really is just due to my overly polite nature in general - your first sentence is bang on. The extent of the pathetic nature of some people who use this site really is just sad. Best to have a private profile so people like that don't bother a person.

• Yes, but then again, I'm sure you feel the same way about some of the things I've said to you over the course of our conversations. So I'm probably not in a position to judge. Also, I admire the way you speak to people here, but yes, sometimes it's best to be totally honest, even if it is hurtful. However in this case, I was just being a grumpy arsehole :)

• Well sometimes "grumpy arsehole" attitude is needed. I will admit there is one female user on this site who I literally. cannot. stand. Ugh :/

You're still in my good books though, no need to worry! :P

What Girls Said 3

• Uhhh its because I'm special so you gotta be special too in order to see my profile lol jk. Uhh just so I don't have many creeps on me it gets annoying

• Some people don't like it. I'm not even on fb. Maybe the people are answering/ asking questions with sensitive information on it that could identify them in their own mind to friends/ family etc. some people don't gage how insignificant we all are.

• Is that so Mr "Quiet" "Thoughtful" Guy? I guess I should assume you made everything up on your profile then

What Guys Said 5

• It's no different than Facebook. We value our privacy.

• Because I'd rather have real information about me there for people who are my friends on here but not have it available for anyone who wants to see

• Some people are just honest and humble and gentle...I know, pretty stupid, huh?

• People don't want to be harassed, so they go on private

• Why lie?