Why do GAGers get praised for "honesty" if they give blunt answers?

Why is it that sometimes, when someone gives an answer that is kind of mean, untrue, or very blunt, why do some people say "I appreciate your honesty"?

I can't remember where I've seen this, but I do know that I've seen this.

So far, most answers on here are honest. Sometimes, an answer may be rude, vulgar, mean, sarcastic, or off-topic, but that doesn't mean the answerer is trying to be dishonest, in my opinion.

Also, I've never seen any sugar-coating. When I give advice, I'm not blunt about it, because I try to be tactful and I try to be caring, enough so that the QA will actually try to listen to what I have to say.

Most Helpful Guy

• One man's blunt is another man's honest answer. Too much sugar coating is bad for your teeth.

And sometimes, people won't listen unless you give it to them straight. Some might call it rude, the PC crowd of course, with their endless blather about self esteem, etc.

Sure ,you should try not to alienate people, but if you have to tell them they're doing something wrong, it's not rude just to tell them that 'You are doing something wrong.!' If you tell them, 'Gee, did you ever think that maybe you could have done Y instead', or similar twaddle, most of them are not going to get the point.

What Girls Said 6

• I've seen it before but not too often. I think the question asker just doesn't want to start anything maybe?

• @update: I agree with the no-sugarcoating. Otherwise, what's the point of giving advice if it won't help the person?

• Yeah. I don't sugarcoat. I just try to say it nicely, but if the QA is really rude, then I try not to be mean, but I don't tolerate their behavior.

• Some people will just say mean, untrue things and say "I'm just being honest!" It's really dumb. I think people will say "thanks for your honesty" to pretend they aren't hurt by it or to be sarcastic.

• Yeah. I think that last sentence is sometimes true, but that sometimes, it's a third party that comes in and says "Wow, you're so honest", towards a second party that is responding to the first party.

• Thanks. People should never do harm in the name of honesty. *superhero stance* xD

• I don't think they're "praised" for it. Most people just simply appreciate honesty whether it's nicely put or blunt. Sometimes giving an honest answer requires being what some people call "mean" in order to get the point across. It's better than giving a dishonest a**kissing answer I think.

• They said that because its hard to find people who are really honest and truthful on this site.Most of the time people try to be 'kind' and nice by sugar coating their answers.I think people just do not want to involve in unnecessary drama though.

• coz they ambarasting

• I hate that . But it's probably just to respect their opinion.

What Guys Said 5

• Umm I don't think this ever happens... to me at least.. if I'm being truthful and blunt I get down voted to hell

• Many people on here hate honesty. The large majority of people come here for ego stroking and confirmation from others of what they've already decided but lack confidence on. They'll down vote you, then block you and talk crap about you from behind an anonymous account to harass you for pointing out the flaw in their actions and how they could improve their situation. Then come on a week or two later complaining that the guy dumped them when they did what a hand full of members said to comfort them with ego stroking and curse those people next. lol Sociopaths. =P

• Yes, exactly. But so what if they downvote you or even block you. I'm used to ignoring all that and telling them they're kidding themselves regardless!

Most people appreciate honesty; only a minority just want to hear people say what they want to hear, and ignore anything else.

• because being pc is a modern mental illness

• I don't. (That was blunt xD)

• I don't see people being praised for that tbh. More often than not, they get scolded