GAG Guitarists: What tunings do you use?

I know it probably depends a lot on what style of music you mostly play, but is there a certain tuning you use more than others? I use the standard E tuning and drop-D a lot, but lately, I've been getting interested in open-D tuning, which is D A D A D d. You can get a lot of really cool tones out of that one :-)

Most Helpful Guy

• not much the standard E, and then some open G. The open G is what Zeppelin and Rolling Stones and a lot of blues based music is played in. I like the tone a lot but primarily I just stick with the standard E. I've used drop-D almost exclusively when playing velvet underground stuff

• Mark Tremonti does a fabulous job with open D. I've heard of open G, but I wouldn't recognize it. I think there's only one song that uses open G that I would recognize and that's Start Me Up by the Rolling Stones. Which songs did Led Zeppelin use them in?

• Open G is only five strings? I've never used it before haha.

• well you there is a tuning for the E (1string) but it's only the 2nd through 6 strings that really matter. you should try it, it's fun cause it allows you to get a very similar sound with a bluesy tone and is easier to manuever since it's fewer strings. it came from the old old school blues guys who made their own guitars that might only have 5 strings. Eric Clapton plays a lot of open g too... I'm just kinda lazy and don't like tuning and retuning my guitars so thus E-tuning

What Girls Said 2

• i don't play much guitar, but I know a lot of the basic chords and I'm competent enough to tune my own guitar haha... I always just tune to the standard e.

my uncle likes to experiment with different tunings. I find it really cool. :)

• well right now my guitar teacher is the one that does it and I don't really know which one he uses ahha

What Guys Said 2

• I usually tune to a half-step below standard.

• mostly standard E tuning, half step down (Rise Against songs), full step down (Bruce Springsteen and The Gaslight Anthem songs) and drop D tuning (anything punk and metal).

I like to tune my one of my electric guitars and acoustic a full step down and stick a capo on the first fret for half step stuff and second fret for standard tuning so I don't always have to retune to play a song in a different tuning.