Why are there so many grammer errors here on GaG?

why are there so many grammer errors here on GaG? I see them daily and it seems to be getting worse and worse. it ranges from anything to getting a word wrong to down right unreadable.

has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one?

I know my grammar and spelling are not perfect. there are people who use the word are instead of am.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yikes man, don't ask that when your question has grammatical errors and misspellings. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I basically agree with the reasons everyone else listed. It could be laziness, ESL-related issues, or they just weren't taught it well/didn't bother learning it properly. Sometimes, I make them just because I think it's more colloquial, and better reflects what I want to express or the way the sentence would sound if spoken. After all, I'm not writing an academic paper or anything.

I don't really mind it on GAG, as long as I can read what's written and understand it without too much trouble.

• I notice the grammar issues the most when it sounds wrong or inaccurate. "I are very upset" just an example of what I mean.

What Girls Said 14

• Because not all of us are English native speakers. Personally speaking, I tend to a few grammar errors, but that's because English isn't my first nor my second language.

• LOL! I might alter my spelling a little but not my grammar... are you referring to that as well?

if you r, its simply because sometimes I can't b stuffed writing out the ENTIRE word:P I'm actually studying to be a literacy teacher tho so I assure you my conversational typing isn't a reflection of my grammatical abilities! :D

• humm.. I didn't think of it like that. some people could be writing out what ever and change a word but not the grammer. still it's not that hard. :)

• so I guess if I get a novel proof read than I should be searous about publishing it. to make up the cost :)

• yeppp. pretty much:)

• If grammar is too ignorant to the point where you cannot understand the persons sentence, then you can always report it for that reason.

But lets get real this is the Internet, not an essay or a professional letter.

It doesn't bother me with grammatical errors unless I am incapable of understanding what the person is talking about.

• I can think of two simple reasons for that.

1. There are a lot of stupid people in the world.

2. Even smart people have their weak areas and for some it's grammar.

I also think a lot of it actually comes from how your raised. If your parents never used proper grammar or never enforced proper grammar on you while you were growing up then you won't learn. But if your parents generally speak properly and teach you to speak properly then you'll learn proper grammar. My grandmother was a huge grammar nazi so I think that's what helped me.

• so da nsa don't no wot were sayin

• Hahaha.One of the reasons I'm on this site is to brush up on my English,especially on the correct use of prepositions.I try to make as few grammatical errors as possible and hope that I don't make typo errors too:)

• well for my eyes(reading) thank you for being on GaG. I know my grammer and spelling are far from perfect I just hope it doesn't make people want to ignore me.

• Nah you are not the only who notices this.English isn't their first language and they get lazy too

• Because it's the only place where people can spell the words how they think they should be spelled without putting themselves on blast

• Who cares?

As long as I can understand your statement or question, then if you mess up on a word I won't give a crap.

I know my punctuation is pretty crappy on here.

Like someone also mentioned English not being some users first language.

• for the most part I can ignore it but every now and than it bothers me. I just have to remember there are peole who were not born English and I can just ignore questions that I don't understand.

• Well no one's grammar is perfect, so grammatical errors are to be expected. Plus some people just don't care enough to correct it, because they know people will get the gist of it.

• true. maybe I'll take a break from GaG if it bothers me too much.

• ooh. not sure how to feel about the comment.

I know my grammar is not excelent so it would be poor taste for me to push others to become better than me. it's people who are very, very bad at grammar.

• Lol It was just a thought. Trust me I know what you mean. I know how to use correct grammar, but sometimes I don't care or I just don't know which way to use it and to make my point. It's also because I don't proofread, which I REALLY need to work on. However, I still know what you mean, like when some people don't know the difference between: they're, their, there, you're, you. When people just really jack up the spelling of a word, subject verb agreement, etc.

• I'm Asian and English is not my first language. Excuse my asianess sir!

• you're excused. as a few people said before there's quite a few people who have English as a 2nd language.

• *bows*

• People are too lazy to fix it

• well you wrote "grammer", and yeha I have noticed it. English is not my first language and I still don't have those kind of errors

• because some people on here have English as their second languge

What Guys Said 9

• You...are...not...the...only one! They bother me more than they probably should, but they drive me bonkers!

• it's not missing camas or smaller mistakes it's using are instead of am and other misplaced words.

• I usually make most of my grammar errors when I'm tired or otherwise deep in my thoughts and I'm too lazy to check my answers. Other people make mistakes for the same reason or possibly because of bad education/not paying attention in school or because they have English as a second language and aren't that strong in it.

• Some people have English as a second language and have not been learning it for very long. And some people don't really care if their grammar and stuff are perfect. They just wanna ask and answer questions.

• yeah, that's what one of the anon's said. I do forget about that.

• English is a second language for me, but I have been living in the United States for... about 17 years. So, I know it pretty well. Somewhat better than my first language (Russian) even though I speak Russian at home.

• that's cool.

• * you need to capitalize the I after the period... and the H, and I think you need a comma before the or...

besides that though I think its because people write on here how they talk, at least that's what I do

• thanks for the grammer correction. I did not think you needed a comma before every or just when you are making a huge list. I could be wrong though it's been a while sence I read my grammer book.

well some people talk oddly. Using the word an when it should be a. The word an is not used that often.

• an comes before a vowel, and or is used for long lists, or for separating two clauses...

• Was spelling "Grammar" wrong part of the running joke?

• I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise you're a moron AND a hypocrite.

• @blackkid2:

I can't help but wonder what makes people think you're a hypocrite, and hate you in this site.

• "Everything."

• Are you sure it is confined just to GAG? There are a lot of sub-cultures forming with the usage of wrong spellings, in the world of internet, I tell ya!

• I go to 3 or 4 other form sites and it's never as commonly bad as it seems to be on GaG. I know it's not everyone and it's all over the internet but quite a few people on GaG mis use entire words.

like dozens of others have suggested that English might be their 2nd language.

• Lol pot calling the kettle black. It bothers me TOO. So many idiots here are not familiar with the spelling of TOO. That kills me and I am not sure why but it does.

• i make grammar errors because English is my third language

• Blame poor auto-correcting smart phones, blame casual laziness, blame the texting generation, blame failing education standards. Whatever floats your boat.

It's not getting worse. The internet has been illiterate ever since AOL opened it to the masses back in the 90's.

I was there.

• wow. it's been a while sence I heard anyone talk about AOL. I even remember seeing AOL 3.1/4 flopie disks. from your list I like to blame education standards and laziness of people who just don't care.

I do admit I'm not perfect.

• I can't remember back that far. 1993 I was about 8 my memory before 9 can be quite vague. I was more into computer games than online chatting. Also I went to MSN when it came out for my chatting needs. I couldn't stand ICQ.