GaG Question Up & Down Arrows?

Just exactly what is the purpose for the up and down point arrows with the questions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, basically the idea is so people can vote you up or down so that people can see how many people agree or disagree with the answers given. It's an anonymous way to agree or disagree, because actually commenting on someone's answer will display your name, so up or down is a way to do it anonymously. Though to be honest, a lot of people use it as ways to just be petty, and cut someone down. Still, it is good to see a bunch of people cutting down someone particularly stupid, or offensive, and it's nice to see people with good advice get voted up.

Oh, also, at one point, you used to get Xper points when people voted you up, and lose points when you were voted down. That was apparently removed because they felt it wasn't very effective, and some people were abusing it. I can understand that. Especially considering the points are directly tied to rewards that could cost the site money.

But yeah, that's what the ups and downs are for. Agreeing and disagreeing anonymously.

• Wow. Somebody is being unbelievably petty. Voting us all down. I wonder who it is.

(Like it isn't incredibly obvious already) Anyway, I'm going to give everyone a +1 who gave a reasonable answer. Assuming I'm not blocked. (You know who you are.)

• Actually, I wasn't accusing you, Question Asker. I was actually referring to the most bitter person in the room, if you get what I'm saying.

• Haha!

Thank you, right back at you +1 :-)

What Guys Said 8

• Up means agree/like that person's answer and down means disagree/dislike that person's answer.

Basically if someone says something people like or agree with they hit up and if someone said something stupid it gets hit with downs.

• Votes up means people agree and like your answer. Votes down is the opposite. It's just to help the question asker see what most of the users on here agree and disagree with. And get the attention of other users when they read people's answers before providing their own answer. Users on Yahoo do the same in questions and articles.

• Up arrow: you either agree with it or like it.

Down arrow: you either disagree with it or don't like it.

• IF you get enough up-arrows, you get a puppy.

• Usually Up means you agree with that persons comment, down means you disagree.

• So what difference would it make to the question asker?

• You can just see how many people support an answer, shows that more people agree with what that person said and it may help if you have a question.

• +1 for a correct answer.

• essentially, up is like and down is dislike.

if you have more ups than downs, it means your answer is helpful or told people what they wanted to hear.

• Like don't like

• So that the bandwagon can vote the way of the majority. I have seen many questions here with loads of votes to either side that they never should have received. Answers are all a matter of opinion and should be interpreted as such, but this site is insane with immature bandwagon users.

• I sure don't see where a question asker gains or looses anything by these arrows, outside of maybe annoying someone.

• I don't. Just take a look at perfectly reasonable answers to questions that the children here haul off on with down votes. It's a shame that people on this site are extremely one-sided about everything and fail to hear any other opinions aside from their own.

What Girls Said 3

• It's a either you agree with the answer or not.

• if you click the upwards one it means you support it

• It's a way to show how many other users like or dislike that answer, much like "Liking" something on Facebook or "Liking" a video on YouTube.

Up-votes and down-votes do not affect your Xper points and they don't determine who gets voted Best Answer, that is completely up to the question asker.

If the answer was posted by someone who blocked you, you will not be able to up-vote or down-vote their answer.