Why do you downvote on GAG?

Downvoting or upvoting an actual advice or recommendation is one thing. Then voting shows support or disagreement with the advice.

But why vote on general anecdotes? Why up or downvote what people tell about themselves?

• I only downvote advice, never statements.
  • I downvote immoral statements.
  • I downvote idiots and jerks.
  • I downvote everything I do not like.
  • I never downvote.
This little survey is pretty revealing. The main driver for downvoting is that we do not like the person. The actual content of the things being downvoted isn't really the issue for most of us. So those of you complaining about being stalked by downvoters are in fact quite possibly right.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree, and I wonder the same thing. How can you downvote someone's narrative? They're just telling what happened to them..how can you disapprove of what took place? They didn't cause it to happen...

I often get downvotes when I talk about a threesome I had. I mean, I'm just describing what happened. If you don't like threesomes, fine, but you can't vote them out of existence!

• Three good examples...!

You're right, most people downvote 'anything they don't like.'

Even if what they don't like is honest, reasonable advice!

Remember the average age of the downvoter on Gag is probably about 17..these are spoiled US teenagers, for the most part.

And a lot of people don't like the truth! That's especially true when people are giving them advice about intimate parts of their lives.

• Three down votes from princesses..mujst be the best answer, right?

What Girls Said 7

• i only down vote degrading statements or vulgar opinions on things or people who are being plain jerks to the question asker and not really helping them by answering. one girl on here I dislike who is an obnoxious snob tests me sometimes although I've never given her a down vote just because I don't like her attitude

• A, B, and C for me.

When someone gives good/bad advice (according to what I think), I up-/downvote them.

When someone expresses an opinion that is degrading or discriminating, I downvote them.

When someone simply attacks/insults others by calling them names, I downvote them.

Other than that, if I personally simply don't like something I read, I just leave it at that. No need to downvote.

• Hmmm. Looking at the votes on your comment. I have a feeling there must be som irony out there as well.

• lol @ downvotes

• We all totally forgot one of the most frequent downvoting reasons: just to a jerk, which obviously is the case here with the downvotes on my answer. But whatever, it's the internet.

• i recently started getting downvoted on everything I post at certain times regardless of the content. this dosn't happen to my anon posts. stop following me around.

• I downvote stuff I don't agree with...and idiots I don't care for.

• i downvote if the comment is offensive but sometimes I just ignored them.

dont be bothered by the down votes , the reaction to it is more important.

• The only time I ever downvote an answer is if it's completely offensive. I don't downvote answers simply because I disagree with the answer. Just because I disagree doesn't mean it's not still good advice or a good answer.

• I don't down or up vote, CBA :)

What Guys Said 7

• I find people downvote me for opinion, when they ask for my opinion... Don't get the point in asking for someones opinion then downvoting because they disagree.

I generally don't upvote or downvote, unless the advice is very relevant or completely useless. There are people on here with an agenda though to downvote everyone, or specific people they've taken a dislike to.

• There is a good chance that "people" who ask, and "people" who downvote are not the same "people".

• I wouldn't say that, a lot of people here have very biased views on politics... they will condemn every other view even though they've made it an open forum. Plus you get people who ask 'does this person like me' or 'am I attractive'...

There is tons of questions like that which people want some sugarcoated answer saying 'yes they like you' 'of course you're attractive'... Telling the truth doesn't go down well at all.

• plus 1, agreed

• I downvote answers that are immoral, or has nothing to do with the question.

• Since downvotes mean nothing, I'm not wasting my time doing it

• Voted C

• I downvote anything I don't like.

• What often ends up being the case is that people will downvote you just because its you and not because of what you said. It's the reason why I've started posting anonymously more often. I say the same things as I did before, but now with a lot less downvotes

• But why do you downvote? Perhaps "people" can answer for themselves.

• if I think ones opinion is based on faulty information

• They hate the speaker, regardless of what he/she says.

• And why do you downvote? And why do you feel it is better to be anonymous even when you speak aobut general things like this? Are "people" out to get you?

• So you are equating yourself to someone who, if operating under "full" name, would attract fleas.

• If you can't deal with even basic analogies, please leave the internet.