GAGers, how do you eat your oats?

Lately, I have started to love oatmeal. :) Searching online for recipes, I noticed that there exist tens and even hundreds of ways people eat their oats.

So, I'm curious...how do you eat your oats?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh, and by the way...is it REALLY healthy as many people say?

Do you cook it with water and salt or with milk? I need to know the basics, GAGers! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• To actually get the healthy benefits from oats, the way to eat it is RAW in water..without blending. It doesn't taste SO great this way but that's how you get the best out of it. (add honey for taste, not syrup)

Its purpose is to suck up fat/cholesterol, and that's the way to eat it if you're targeting that.

Anyway, I eat it in so many ways...

I put them in protein shakes mostly.

I put them in cereal,

I boil water and then add the oats with honey

(sometimes mix it with some kind of cereal or granola)

and other times I eat it just like cereal! Raw with cold water and tiny bit of cold almond milk with a tiny bit of honey for taste.

When I was younger my mom used to make it with milk and sugar!HOT! It's super delicious! but I do not eat it that way anymore, there is not real benefit from it other than taste... and I'm lactose intolerant anyway, so I just eat it with almond milk and water.

• I like it with milk and I sometimes add 1/4 apple. Is it still healthy this way?

• for nothing :-)

• There's a lot of carbs in it. So it's probably preferable to eat early in the day?

What Guys Said 18

• EVERYDAY :D

I boil it in water (not microwave), no salt, sugar or milk :)

Oh yes it is full of fiber and it's what they feed horses ;)

• I just boil oats in water, throw in some raisins a couple minutes before their done so they get all puffed up. Throw it in a bowl, pour some milk in there, bit of brown sugar and eat it. That's if I've energetic, and have all the right ingredients. Otherwise I'll just boil it, maybe throw it in a bowl, and eat it.

• I don't typically eat oatmeal because you have to add a lot of things to it to make it taste good and I prefer to eat things that are good plain. Yes, it is very healthy.

• Cook it with water. While it's cooking I cut 1/2 a banana into 10 cylinder-like pieces. Then like 1/4 of an apple and into small pieces. If I have strawberries, add a couple of strawberries cut into pieces. Raisins, prunes, and more. I don't add all of those into one meal though. That's too much. I add a few at different combinations each time. Finally I add some honey.

Delicious.

• I usually have it with honey and sugar... It's healthier than other foodstuffs, although it's really a breakfast kind of product and I tend to skip breakfast 99% of the time.

• I prefer Masala oats :D
    www.saffolalife.com/ourproducts/saffolaoats/
    you should boil them in the water for better taste ^_^

• oh i like oats too ! not only theyre cheap, theyre healthy and loads of possibilities with them !
    i like muesli with milk or yogurt that is not too sweet.

hey, have you seen recipe about granola? i wanted to try to make some too. especially those granola oat clusters with nuts, baked with a little sweetening. taste great with milk ! and much better than raw muesli.

• Raw like a savage

• They are a good source of carbs and is supposed to be good for the heart. Try this. 1.5 cup oats. 1/4 cup raisins. one teaspoon cinnamon. Add milk. I have a bunch of tiny tupperwares with this combo already in them, minus the milk. Treat it as cereal.

• I like the old fashion stone cut ones. I top them with cinnamon and honey. When I was a kid it was brown sugar and milk.

• I do what jmurk does, except I leave out the raisins and the butter and replace it with cinnamon

• I eat my oatmeal plain in whole milk.

• confession: I don't eat them :(

maybe you could make some for me :P

• milk, salt and sugar.

• Sadly I rarely eat them. If I do I use milk and honey.

• I cook it with water then I add raisins, bananas, brown sugar and butter .

• Water+salt+cocoa+cinnamon+maple syrup loll

• I cook it with water and when it's done, I top it off with a spoonful of sugar and a little butter. And it's always filling.

What Girls Said 27

• I rarely eat them but when I do I mix them with milk and honey.

• I'm more of grit person. But if I do eat oatmeal it's the kind that comes in small packs and has to have peaches or strawberries in it =)

• I usually get the Instant Oatmeal variety pack which comes with 3 different flavors, the Maple Brown sugar, Apple & Cinnamon, and Cinnamon & Spice. I generally make two packs at a time and I'll mix one of each and add about a teaspoon of butter and tons of sugar in it. It's so good!

• Do you believe it's a healthy meal?

• How I eat it? No aha. In general, yes but it all depends on what you add to it. I like it super sweet, so I suppose it wouldn't be too good for yaa :p

• Hahaha I add a spoonful of honey. It tastes really good. I cook it with milk, not water. :) Yours must be awesome!

• With raisins but normally I just eat it plain its more tastier the original flavour is tastier than raspberr, apple or strawberry flavoured oatmeal

• They tell you boil the water then add the oats. I don't do this I add the oats to the water with a touch of salt and then bring to a boil. I love pecans, banana, and of course butter, I sweeten with splenda. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM, sounds delicious, I'm hungry at the moment. Yes, oats are healthy.

• I eat organic steel cut oats or old fashioned oats (occasionally). I cook it with water and salt To sweeten it up I add cinnamon, nutmeg and sliced up bananas.

I also add a table spoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds. Chia makes it thicker (which I like).

• Besides the general way of eating it (with water / milk , sweet / salted)

I eat oats with salt and herbs in it, as a pancake and as a sandwich.

• I blend it into powder, then soak it in soy milk, after that I blend yogurt, avocado, banana and more soy milk, mix together with the oats and that's my daily breakfast.

• milk and sugar, sometimes I add some chocolate powder =)

• I eat porridge with honey or syrup and sometimes fruit

• I know the box recipe calls for water but I use milk instead. I add sugar enough to taste the sweetness and cinnamon :)

• Milk, honey and banana/berries :)

• I cook my with yams and honey. Or bananas and blueberries. I might try cooking them with milk.

Or try to do "overnight oats" with yogurt and strawberries.

• I eat it cold and raw with milk, like cereal.

• I eat oatmeal almost everyday for breakfast because it's good for me when working out. I put a bit of almond milk in mine and throw a few raisins or berries in there and eat it up

• I eat mine with milk, berries and nuts.

• With milk. I don't like how it taste when made with water. Sometimes with blueberrys!

• I don't eat oats :O

• Mostly regular old oatmeal & homemade cookies.

• With milk and sugar

• I like my oats with brown sugar. Sometimes I skip the oats. YAYYYYYYYYY~

• I eat mine raw with milk. I like it raw the best. Nice and chewy

• I like steel cut oats with honey and a little butter. Yum

• Milk and berries

• Sugar and raisins and cinnamon

• are they tasty? I want to try them bu I have never had the chance. I would just ge tthem with honey banana and milk

• I use water but also lots of sugar