Do you believe that there are positive stereotypes or are all stereotypes negative?

I see sometimes on GaG people getting upset over perceived negative stereotypes but if somebody stereotypes a group of people in a positive light they jump right on board with it. Do you think any kind of blanket statements about a group of people is the same or do you pick and choose? Can people take it on a case by case basis or does stereotyping whether you consider it positive or negative just encourages more stereotyping? Anyway I'd love to hear you guys discuss that.

I'm interested to hear from you GaG.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't have a problem with either positive or negative stereotypes as long as they are true, and not misused.

By true I mean it applies to a significant portion of the group in question. It wouldn't even have to be a majority, just significant.

By not misused I mean two things. First it can't used as a form of prejudice. It can't be used to pre judge an individual. Second, even if it's true, if shouldn't be used as a weapon or tool to stir hate or animosity against a group.

I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging the differences between people. There are too many people who walk around on eggshells afraid to acknowledge the differences between races, nationalities, ethic groups, religions, or whatever. There really are differences so why not admit it? Some people are so afraid of being labeled racist they can't even talk about many subjects.

I have never once in my life met anyone who took insult to acknowledging differences or asking question about them. As long as the discussions and questions are genuine and non-judgmental most people are glad to give their view about it.

What Girls Said 10

• I personally am not a fan of any kind of stereotyping because I don't believe you can assume things about any large group of individuals. I do understand there are some circumstances where they can be relatively true based on the majority of a groups behavior or whatever is being stereotyped. For example, the 101 stereotypes about teenagers.

I guess positive stereotypes aren't as as upsetting because that's just taken as their personal opinion of people, which happens to be positive so, "whatever floats your boat". When they are negative its often prejudice/racist and steps on toes. This is especially true for people who are included in the group being stereotyped who don't feel they fit the stereotype. Who wants to be looked at the same as the "bad" individuals in the group when they honestly aren't the same.

• Stereotypes are generally only remembered if they are negative in nature. Not saying that there aren't positive stereotypes but they are often forgotten over the negative ones, so if someone were to talk about positive stereotypes, people would obviously beam with pride.

Any type of stereotyping encourages more stereotyping. It's one of the reasons people should stop doing that. Stereotypes can be false and hasty generalization can have a negative impact on everyone. No matter how much some of us might hate stereotyping, it's always going to be present. The thing is that you can't stereotype a particular group just because some of them have a certain behavior which stands out. People also need to consider others in the group which are not like them.

For example: Men have a higher sex drive than women. Not only is it false but it was developed during the times when women weren't "supposed" to like or enjoy sex.

• I tend to have a similar opinion. I think that whether things are positive or negative that it sets up expectations for people and everyone who is from that background is supposed to follow.

• in your example also what does it do to men with low sex drives? do they feel less manly less virile?

• I don't know what it does to them, I'm not a man. It's just a stereotype. Some men might feel less of themselves and some might not care. It depends on an individual. Not all men with low sex drives would feel less manly, less virile. That's again stereotyping.

• It's all or nothing. Either accept both the negative AND positive stereotypes or accept nothing.

If not all (insert group) are bad, then why would all (insert group) be good?

Now, stereotypes derive from some truth, but there will always be exceptions. So yes, there are good stereotypes. But if we're going to accept the good, then we need to accept the negative ones as well.

I notice people pick and choose what suits them or their argument (at the moment).

• Right like somebody else said: People are opportunistic. We have a tendency to associate with group positives but not group negatives even if both can be just as harmful in the end. I agree with the all or nothing mentality as well.

• mmmm, I think there are less harmful stereotypes, but in general accepting a "positive" stereotype legitimizes negative ones too because it reinforces the type of thinking that encourages blanketing opinions and prejudgment

• I completely understand where you're coming from. Thanks for answering.

• Heyyyy look at you! Mr. mod! congrats... :D

Blanket statements are just that blanket!... Not to be taken too seriously either way

• There's a stereotype that says that all Danes are happy all the time. That's a good one ;-)

• I don't see how a stereotype could be positive.

• I saw a couple people say that the stereotype that Asians are smart is positive, but as an Asian, I disagree. Some people seem to think that if an Asian person is smart, it is solely because of the fact that the person is Asian. They act like all Asians are automatically smart and that we don't have to WORK to be smart, which bugs me. I know that not all people believe that all Asians are born smart, but I've had people in the past say that I got an A on a test or a subject just because I'm Asian, and they weren't even joking.

• Okay so you're saying that not only does it put unfair expectations on you but it also trivializes all your hard work and discipline as an individual? I can see how that is frustrating and insulting. Thanks for answering.

• Statistics don't influence occurence. "This river has an average depth of 3 ft 2in", said the statistician and he drowned. Does that prove statisticians are dumb?

• There must be millions of dumb Asians.

• Good and bad... mainly bad even if they seem good to others. I'm a brit and because of this I've been asked if I live in a castle... obviously I don't live in a castle, you get the gist though.

• Whoa who thinks all brits life in castles? That's so silly!

• haha I know but then again some people that aren't American think that all Americans are fat. Well I know for a fact that that isn't true.

• In my opinion, stereotypes create pressure amongst people and are mostly negative. It's not giving the chance to an individual or a stranger. Breaking free of a specific stereotype is never enough, I think it has to be destroyed. Stereotypes have a significant impact throughout history i.e: WW2, when Nazis and their supporters believed Jewish people should've been exterminated based on stereotypes and a massive generalization. The Rwanda massacre when the Hutu tried to wipe out the Tutsi. The apartheid ( I'm sure I don't have to explain that one). The crusades ( Opposing the Western European Christians and every civilization or culture they believed Paganist, in the Middle East.), where it was more about money and religion. Stereotypes seem like the laziest kind of assumption and a lousy way to make a description about something we don't have a lot of knowledge about.

I think we can speak of tendencies but putting a stereotype on a specific group of people doesn't seem moral to me. It basically a never ending cycle where sooner or later some of the people outside of the stereotype will, in some cases, get tired of it and pretend to conform to it or conform. Individual diversity is what we should aim for in our society.

But hey, it's my opinion.

• Hmm I never thought to consider stereotypes in that kind of extreme. I guess tiny ideas really can escalate when somebody can fan the flames.

I'm all for individuality. Thanks for answering.

What Guys Said 12

• i think stereotypes are negative in that when we generalize group of people for any reason it is a bad thing and does a disservice to everyone

that said there are positive sounding stereotypes.

e.g. all Asian people are smart.

that is positive on the surface but if we choose to accept a stereotype as true aren't we actually doing a disservice to everyone by assuming such a thing? perhaps making not as smart Asian people feel inferior or developing an inferiority complex in other races for feeling not as smart

e.g. white people control most of the world.

on the surface this is positive but what does it mean for those white people who are disenfranchised, how do they feel? Or for white people who don't like the idea that white people should control the world or anyone should control the world

a stereotype can be good. but generalizing a hole race, ethnicity, gender, etc is damaging and does nothing for people who simply feel like they are an individual rather than a lumped in member of some mass collective

• There probably are, but I hate blanket assumptions either way. For the Asian stereotype of being clever and then you find some Asians get average and below average marks. The stereotype puts them under unnecessary pressure. What if they want to become an artist/teacher/policeman and stereotypes want them to become lawyers, doctors and scientists. Same thing with the black guys and big penises. What about that black guy with an average or below average penis. Every time he beds a girl (who is unfamiliar to black guys) she may they expecting a foot long or some stud. Why can't Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps win because they put in the hard word instead of "black people"run fast"and "white people swim well". The effects of positive stereotypes can be just as bad as negative stereotypes

The reason I hate stereotypes is because the assume that everyone from a particular group is the same. No individuality or diversity. Just a carbon copy of the next. You should define you. Not your culture, not your religion, not your race. I know that stereotypes should be taken with a grain of salt, but I've seen too many people forget/avoid the latter. It is lazy , disrespectful and patronizing

• Yeah that's my problem is that it tends to pigeonhole people. Thanks for answering.

• I think people want to accept the positive stereotypes and reject the negative ones, but life isn't like that, its all or nothing.

In my example, Most people assume I listen mostly to rap and I like to wear my pants below my waistline, (Anyone who knows me would laugh if someone thought I was like that).

I try to reject all of them because I like to stand out as individual rather put into categories or groups of people which robs me off my individuality.

• This is kind of like what DutchAtheist mentioned. Do you think acknowledging a stereotype could be a potential good thing? If it helps people avoid it and come into their own so to speak.

• In my opinion , it's a gamble. I personally don't know if I can truly accept the negatives and positive stereotypes because its misleading about who I am.

• I can understand that. Thanks for answering.

• I don't believe in stereotypes, positive or negative. I believe in different individuals, with a cultural influence, of course.

• I embrace all the stereotypes, positives and negatives. Not that I think they always apply to all people in a group, but I do think the stereotype exists for a reason.

If I look at the Dutch: we are perceived as assertive, harsh even. It's a stereotype. But it does cause me to try and be less direct in an international environment. I don't want to upset people because of cultural differences. If I then see another Dutchman in the same situation being "Dutch" I see how rude they are.

My point is, acknowledging a negetive stereotype can work in your advantage.

"For a Dutch person, you are very pleasant to work with", I take it as a compliment, not an insult to my nationality.

Actually, I don't know if I strike you guys here as direct but I quite often tip-toe through this site because I find people so easily offended. On Dutch sites discussions are much more blunt without people being anoyed by it.

• That's interesting. You're saying acknowledging a stereotype can be helpful because it makes you able to stray from it. I've never thought about it quite like that before. Thanks for answering.

• I'd say it's possible for there to be positive stereotypes, but none really come to mind. The only stereotypes that I think of are either neutral or negative.

• Black people are fast.

• Stereotypes are funny. People love them...Until they're no longer self-serving.

Black men:

Say they have a large penis. They're OK with it.

Say they're all violent, it's wrong.

Asian Men:

Say they're very intelligent, and overachievers. They're OK with it.

Say they all have small penis', it's wrong.

White women:

Say they're beautiful, the standard of beauty. They're OK with it.

Say they're sluts and hands out blowjobs like a terrible local artist hands out fliers. It's wrong.

People say you're "generalizing" and "stereotyping" them, only when it doesn't serve them.

• Maybe the stereotype that Asian people are studious Is positive, I find that to be a good quality. Congrats on mod too.

• I think stereotypes are bad when you try to label a group of people as such. Blacks are the only ones with negative stereotypes placed on them in a manner that no other race gets to endure . Accepting the good and the bad stereotypes should be something all races should do ,but so far I only see that blacks are the only race who's expected to do so.

• All asains are good at math...which is positive because math is an seesential skill to have.

All asains are bad drivers...which is negative because it means that they will cause accidents.

So yes good and bad ones exist...what I find funny is the double standard that follows with the two.

• What do you mean by double standard?

• Meaning of you use a negative stereotype the affected party will be offended and even see you as a racist but it you use a positive one it will be taken as a compliment and won't receive the backlashing a negative one would.

• Ah right I understand what you mean.

• Asians have big brains

• and black people have large penises

• stereotypes are primitive (relating to, denoting, or preserving the character of an early stage in the evolutionary or historical development of something)? could you explain

• LOL I would love to hear the rest of the list!