Are people as a whole not wanting kids these days or is it just a GAG thing?

I've been seeing many people on this site saying they do not want kids. but is it just on GAG where this is the case, or is this a growing thing for our current generation?

Most Helpful Girl

• I want children.

People pop out babies all the time, sometimes when they don't even know they're incubating!

Ok, to be serious :) a lot of the people here are young so they see children as a way to be tied down, financially, affecting their mobility...and therefore might say they don't want kids. Some people just don't like children enough to want to have them. My sister doesn't like children enough to want to raise a human being (not a strong maternal instinct-which isn't necessarily a bad thing on a small scale)

I don't think human beings have much to worry about when it comes to our population. The big 7 B whoooohoooo! *fires a shot in the air*

• getting too excited over there lol :P

• nah, I'm chill as a cucumber

...ever feel slightly anxious when you make a joke and have no idea if the other person's humor is like yours

• i was offended!

j/k :P

What Girls Said 7

• I think it's more that most people don't want kids in the foreseeable future. With maturity comes a change of opinion, and I'm the first to admit that even though I say I don't want kids, I acknowledge that position might change when I'm older and in the position to be able to do so.

• so do you think its common for young adults in their late teens early 20's to say they don't want kids and then when they get older they change their minds?

• Yep. Whether they change their minds or just get knocked up, it's likely to happen lol.

• it's a phenomenon happening in most industrialized nations.

• it is happening outside of gag too..given the high standard of living and the economy uncertainty more and more people don't want to have kids.

• I want 2, but I am scared to have any. Reason being that there are so many horrible people in this world and I can't imagine dying and leaving my kids to fend for themselves.

• I love kids but I don't want one

• Meh, I still want kids

• I do but not at 22 it seems like all my youth would be gone...so at the moment I don't want any but I don't know its like taking care of someone else for years. Honestly I don't even know where I'm heading with my life , none the less a childs life its crazy I don't know how people do it,

What Guys Said 11

• A lot of people on this site are pretty young so children are most likely not a priority in their life. They may think kids aren't for them now, but in the future that'll most likely change for a lot of them. I was the same way up until this past year thinking that I don't want to be miserable and lonely. I want to have something to look forward to when I get older.

However, to be honest, I haven't seen many topics or answers where children/parenting have come into play.

• I will say more people on GAG don't want kids but overall wanting kids has become a thing of the past in developed nations.

The cost of living has went up drastically in the past few decades where having a kid becomes a significant financial burden. If you look at previous generations we used to have a single parent (dad mostly) work in order to provide for their family which meant a nice house, a car and enough money to go on vacation, etc. Most families are now struggling with paying for car, mortgage, etc making it very difficult to raise children even though both adults are working. The society has also changed culturally where people want to do their own thing and having a family ties them down so I am not surprised people don't want kids. Also I feel like older generations were more mature, I am over 25 but my maturity (atleast the way I feel) is that of a 14 year old child who just wants to go outside to play, drink and do stupid things.

• Users on GAG are generally incomplete and therefore too vain to commit their existence to the wellbeing of their offspring. If you're a decent person, then having a baby means life is no longer about you. That's where people with issues to resolve hesitate to turn the page.

• I feel like it's a fairly new phenomenon. Back in the day, it was socially expected of you to have kids. Nowadays, we're breaking out of that social structure, for better or worse. We had an interesting conversation about the selfishness of not having kids in my sociology class.

• It's mostly a young adult thing I think. People are having kids and getting married later in life nowadays. We want to have a lot of years to ourselves before we are forced to stop living selfishly and devote ourselves to little rascals.

• I don't see too much of a trend on here. I see many women wanting children still. Women's lib has slightly changed the want of children by women. Younger women here AND in the RL are less apt to wanting children. These views will change in some and not in others.

• I want children one day

• I love babies...I want them for myself as well...

• Most guys I know don't seem to want kids or to get married. I'm like the odd ball out of the pack.

• I love and want kids.

• i like children because they are very foolish and innocent.But I'm never having one because there is no way all the money in this world can save us from the cruelness of this life.So I'm saving my would have been siblings from this cruelty.