GAGers! How many of you would go live on Mars?

A company is claiming that it will be able to settle people on Mars by 2023. It will send 4 people on a one way ticket to Mars to colonize it. Hundreds of thousands of people have already applied to become part of the first civilization on Mars. I personally would decline going because I'm not willing to sacrfice never seeing my family and friends again to make history. You can learn more about this here link

• Yes I would go Where do I sign up?
  • Nah, I'm was born on earth, and will die on earth.
The creator of the Mars project Bas Lansdorp, has siad that he wouldn't even go to Mars even though this was a idea of his. Talk about a red flag!

Most Helpful Guy

• Apparently there are 4 separate Moon colonization organisations (each planning to take 3 to 6 people a year if I'm not mistaken?)

I don't think most people have thought it through that well, they are probably applying on impulse but I can't imagine why it would be that exciting. The Mars is basically barren rock, they'll not even be capable of venturing out without space suits due to the high levels of radiation and sand storms. The excitement from living on the moon will wear off soon enough, I can imagine theyre will be a very high chance of insanity amongst some of the colonizers that regrett their decision when it's too late.

EVEN if we were willing to return them after a few years of adapting to life on Mars, there are medical implications of allowing their return to earth.. It's well known that astronauts suffer from bone marrow and muscle wastage due to the brief time in space living under low gravity their body doesn't need to be that strong. So returning to Earth could potentially be life threatnining if that became an option

I'm happy with Earth

• They actually wouldn't be able to go outside that much at all regardless and they would also need to try to create some type of atomosphere up there too.

• I can't remember which of the 4 mars colonization organisations I read but I think when I read mars one, they stated they'd supply space suits to allow them to venture out especially when they need to fix things

What Girls Said 19

• No, I wouldn't. Earth isn't perfect but I couldn't imagine leaving my family and friends to go live on another planet. Especially since it may or may not even be able to support life, even if we tried colonizing it, that doesn't mean humans would 100% be able to survive there. I wouldn't want to be the first person to try out the new planet and risk my life doing so.

• I have absolutely 0 interest in a one way ticket to Mars.

1. I don't want to leave my friends, family, and career behind for the rest of my life.

2. What the hell would there even be to do while on Mars? I'd be bored out of my skull.

It's a nice idea but I can't see myself going there unless there's a reasonably quick way to get back and forth between Earth and Mars or at least until the colony is more developed. Even then I probably wouldn't do it.

• I would never do it. According tot he company that's in charge of making a Mars civilization possible, Those who would go live on Mars would be stuck there forever.

• No I wouldn't go there. I would have to adjust to the sand storms and tempetures.

Plus, I thought that the planets were to far away from each other for us to travel there?

My last reason would be that we'd have to start all the way over again. Building homes, getting food, etc.

• I have another reason... If people actually made it to Mars there will shortly be many other followers and Mars will be over crowded like Earth is.

So that being said I'll stay because life would go by easier if there were less people in the same town, city, state, country, continent, and lastly Planet.

• Not me! I wouldn't mind going there for a week or whatever but I would not want to likve on there, I mean, If the guy that came up with this idea doesn't even wanna go, how does he expect the rest of us to want to go? Its just like if someone cooks your food, if they wouldn't eat it then there's probably a problem with it.

• Actually no I change my mid... I'll go to MArs but only if Earth is coming to an end.

• Well, I know that I won't be moving from Earth anytime soon. Not interested. lol That's crazy though.

• Certainly NOT me

• Not happening. Only if they could demonstrate that the living conditions there would be safe and I wouldn't just get bored as fuck after a few years. Otherwise, I'll just stay here.

• im the minority. YAY!

• No I would never consider it hehehe

• How would I give birth on Mars? Yea.. No thanks.

• Voted B

• I would in a heartbeat I don't belong on earth.

• Nah I think that I would stay on earth

• I would go but I bet I wouldn't qualify due to my health.

• I wouldn't do it unless they predicted catastrophes coming to earth or unless my dating options were better there.

• Nope. Isn't it too hot there?

• I would never!

• If all of it were possible, absolutely.

I wouldn't mind leaving Earth and living in a society where everything (basically) is new and fresh. It'd be a fresh start for everyone. We could repeat the same mistakes, of course, but it would be a chance to really get it right :-)

What Guys Said 11

• It would depend on how well established people were on mars. I wouldn't want to be one of the first on Mars, but I would keep an open mind if people were thriving there. I am not so close to my family and friends that it makes a big difference to me. People move away from family and friends all the time. My biggest concerns would be safety and comfort in a new environment.

• I will pass on that - mars lack bamboo, ya feel me?

• They'll end up murdering each other, doesn't sound fun.

• I wouldn't go

Also...by 2023, they really mean 2540

• I think 2023 is a little too soon too. I know there's decades of research about Mars but I think humanity still doesn't know enough to be trying to call themselves trying to build a civilization on a alien planet .

• haha thanks, this might be interesting, mars one also has plans to create a reality TV show as one of the supports for the project. could be interesting... link I personally think they'll go for it (if not there are still 3 other mars colonization organisations pushing too)

• A reality TV show eh? Couldn't be worse than jersey shore, ha

• Sure.

• Not when you think of how limiting of a life it will be. Cold, always wearing space suits outside, living in close quarter . No thanks, but can't wait to see it happen!

• Never but I know of a few users here that I would love to send there!

• LOL! you and me both.

• Pls don't send me there

• Lol you are not on the list Kangaru and yes Tangerine life would be better. I hope they made a big enough bubble :)

• No, I wouldn't mind visiting but not living there

• I'd decline.

• As long as it wouldn't be Total Recall style, sure I'd go.

• I have several friends who are actually interested in going to live on Mars. I would personally travel to Mars and back but I don't know if I would go and live there for the rest of my life. This company I believe is just drumming up publicity to be honest I work in the field, (designing rocket fuel to faster space travel) and we are not close to being able to have a permanent habitat on Mars. Sign me up for the trip there and maybe I'd consider living there if the plans were actually more than a massive hypothetical concept at this point.