Runners of GAG: How many miles do you get in weekly?

I have been running every day lately. It helps me calm down and start the day right. It is at least 3 miles. On some days I bump it up to this one route that is about 11 miles. Can you run too much? Most of this is in the sand so I figure it doesn't stress out my legs as badly as concrete.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've done 7 miles this week so far, but on 2 days. I don't usually have time to run more than once or twice a week during the semester (though I'll run about 6-12 miles total), but I'm trying to bump it up to 20 miles a week by running a little bit every day.

As long as you aren't killing your joints, it's probably not bad.

Though, you need to be careful not to put your body into "eco-mode". You know how cars burn more efficiently going 65 on a highway than going stop start in the city? Well if you're running fast for long distances all the time, your body will become very efficient with its calorie burn, and if your goal is to drop some subcutaneous fat...this is not the best way to go about doing it. To burn fat, it's best to vary your workouts in distance and intensity.

If you're just doing it to relax though, that sounds great :) Just be careful you're eating enough so you don't end up atrophying muscle!

What Girls Said 12

• I run usually 3 miles at a time if it's on treadmill, or 5 miles outdoor. Right now it's hard to run outdoors, so I estimate I get a total of about 15 miles a week. You can do cardio everyday and it's hard to do "too much" running. 11 miles is fine for a single run. Cut down if your knee starts hurting or any other body part.

I used to run about 40 miles a week last year and I was fine.

• I don't run... More of a sprinter...

I'll sprint like a one or 2 miles at max...

Overall I don't like physical activity... I'm a pretty lazy smurf...

I run like every day in the summer, spring and early fall, but in the winter I prefer stay inside and baking cookies...

• Like 12 miles. Not a ton but I'm also in the military so I workout my whole body. If you run too much you need to eat more. And understand you will need to intake more calories to maintain health.

• It use to be me running a mile once a month or two through PE class but now that I don't have it, I dont!

I need to start working out though caz I'm getting a belly. In the new year hopefully I will run it once a week or every 2 weeks

• I used to run about 30 miles a week

I quit running but uh, that is an excessive amount. All a person needs is 30 to 60 minutes of cardio a week.

• 4 miles

• I run about 20 miles a day.

• Oh wow I am like in the negative. I need to get more miles in for real.

• .5 lol

• I run 12 miles, but can skate up to 25.

• Now I get in about 40miles a week. I used to run around 50miles but it was too much for my body and I got terribly skinny. The thing is long distance running can be really addictive because of the release of endorphins this makes you wanna run more and more. Sometimes I got up at 3pm in the night because my body wanted to run and then I ran a half marathon before the sun got up.

• not that much. too embarassed to tell you how little

What Guys Said 3

• At the height of my running I did 30 to 32 miles a week. Usually ran 4 days a week. Anywhere from 6 to 18 miles a day.

I've been running much less lately and concentrating on strength and skills. I did 2 consecutive miles today. Did sprinting drills on Monday as well. Last week I did a 4 consecutive miles.

You can do whatever you acclimate too. I used to not be able to do 2 miles without shin splints. It hurt really bad I'd have to take ice bathes afterward. Eventually my bones and ligaments adjusted.

Sand is still tough on the ankles and calves as you have to dig through it a bit. I did concrete or trail running.

• I usually work out indoors. The neighborhood I live in isn't the greatest and the weather can also suck.

I try to work out 5-6 days a week. Generally an hour of cardio, 20 minutes on the heavy bag and/or 20 minutes of free weights.

I honestly hate running. One of my least favorite things to do.

• I try to do at least 30-35 a week, but that is usually with varying degrees of success.