How's the idea of having 'verified' members on GAG?

As the question goes, everyone in GAG is almost anon. Yes we have people rising in levels till 'Guru' and moderators to super moderators.

But why can't GAG become more interactive knowing there are 'genuine' people out there.

I for one use an alternate email address for anything other than work so that my personal and work mail doesn't get cluttered. But I'd very much like to be known as someone genuine.

To be safe for GAG admin to know who's genuine, we can probably take a pic with GAG & our user name written and send it to Admin for them to verify us (w/o photoshop ofcourse lol). Not necessary that the picture gets published or made open to members. Just send to the Admin of GAG?

What do you think?

• Yes, verification is a good idea
  • No, verification is boring

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 18

• Why the hell do you want your identity spread all over the internet? That's stupid and dangerous.

And nobody here is a robot so why the hell do we need to "verify" that we are real people? Very few people have multiple accounts or actually keep up with them on any website (if I do have a multiple account it's usually because I forgot my password to both the website AND my old e-mail password if I haven't been on in a few years)

The whole reason I'm on GAG is so I can ask personal questions and not be judged.. if I had to post a picture of myself I honestly wouldn't even use GAG anymore and just switch to Yahoo Answers

• Young lady, please read the question again, I have specifically stated that pics are not to be posted but sent to Admin with GAG and username written on a piece of paper held by the one incumbent to be verified. The pics are not to be made public.

I use an alternate a/c too cause I don't want my regular a/c cluttered.

Also there are people who post their own pics out here :)

It will probably add comfort to certain people knowing that the person answering / asking is a verified member ;)

• Well what would be the point in posting pics then? And how the hell does posting a picture make someone "verified"? I can tell you this is me link and you would never know the difference! Pictures do absolutely nothing

• but then we could also argue and say, how do we know that the admin are genuine?

i dont know, maybe people would just rather reveal themselves as much as THEY want to on here. i bet people on the site joined just because of that.

i myself have revealed enough and am not interested in revealing any more unless i meet good genuine characters here=]

• If someone is truly worried so badly about someone being fake then I think it's up to the person themselves to ask the person who they suspect is fake for "proof". Assuming that will help them sleep better at night or that they have their own reasons. To go through a whole verification process on gag to just prove people are who they say they are won't really change much. It will still remain a Q&A website. Lots of people here also do the anon thing also and it doesn't carry much relevance.

• It wasn't about someone worrying that someone else is fake almost all of us have alternate identities here, it was for those who'd like to maybe get themselves verified since there are many people who even post their own pics on their profile :)

• I understand why these things work on twitter or Facebook, since those sites are pretty huge and a lot of celebrities need to be verified to prevent impostors from harming others or spreading rumors. However, on a small site like GAG, I just don't see why this would be a necessary feature. To me it sounds like it would serve no real purpose other than a popularity boost or something.

• wait... what do you mean with "genuine"? Proof that we're real people and not robots? Or proof that we are who we say we are? (not some creep posing herself as a hot girl)?

Either way, I don't think verification is necessary. There's no way a robot can write anything everyone on this page wrote. And for proofing that our profiles aren't fake... well, you can mostly spot fake profiles pretty easily.

And how exactly do you want GAG to become more interactive? In what way?

• Let's say hypothetically, this new rule takes place and if that verified member endorsed by the site.

He happens to get involved in something with someone from the site, only to find out, a law suit will be slapped against GaG site runner for endorsing a pedophile/sex offender (who so cleverly posed as someone who is very overly too nice and always helpful to members here and couldn't be seen as a threat) out of no where for assaulting their under aged daughter.

• hmmm a possibility but not that can't be battled especially with disclaimers etc but yes too lengthy a process to indulge in for GAG :D and get this out of it

• I think that's a solid idea.

• Wow! I'm WAY too open...I now feel like I should shut everything down!

• This isn't a social network. People here just answer questions from their own opinions or experience.

Sorry, I just don't see a point to become verified.

• I agree it isn't a social network which is why the 'friends' option in addtion to pics one can post of themselves etc in the earlier GAG used to baffle me as it beats the idea of GAG not being a social network

• I like the idea apart from the pics lol.i have lots of email addresses for diff purposes too

• That would be an awesome Idea for dating sites... that would minimize the number of fake people and maybe some psychos... but for a site like this, what would be the point? The emphasize of this is strictly for answers and questions, and one chooses what to answer and what to ask.. if you see a completely idiotic question, simply don't answer it... or what would be the point of your idea here? how would it be relevant to the site? I don't see an actual benefit to it for this specific site.

• Good idea but its fine the way it is to me at least.

• Um, I do not understand the benefit of "verification" or the process.

I often post anon because I think some of the people on here are bored and looking for conflict that is not why I post here.

There is no reason why people who are here need any additional information about me unless I give it to them. It's called privacy.

• That's a dumb idea. Anyone can get a random pic and say "This is me". People like to be anon for a reason.

• If people would like to do that then that's fine and good for them but this isn't something I would do

• I'm not sure this is necessary, especially considering that anyone who spends a decent amount of time on GAG pretty much knows who's genuine and has an idea as to who isn't.

Part of the appeal of GAG IS the anonymity we offer our members.

I just don't see this being necessary or applicable.

• I mean it as a choice not a compulsion :) also the verification will be done only to the admin, the pics aren't to be posted on profile or any other place - just an idea :D

• Our members should really have the right to privacy though, from admins as well.

• Ok :D got the idea, I rest my case - was just an idea :D

• A total waste of time and money and not to mention adding more technical programming complications. GaG is already fine as it is. This is not exactly a dating listing site but a general advising forum that should open it's door to all users regardless of popularity. When I first came into this site, I could note there were maybe 4 or 5 users that takes every thing too seriously here because they are here 24 hrs a day here? hmm do they even have real life friends and do things outside other than chat with 'people' here? GaG does not need to be complicated.

• Okay sending our picture to be verified? That's outrageous and beyond preposterous. GaG is not a popular member's contest pageant.

• i think it'd just be used to harass hot girls as guys would know its really them in their picture, this isn't a dating site so I don't think importance should be placed on if that's really the dude or girl in the picture

• I did mention that the pic is not necessarily a public pic or on the profile, just to be sent to admin for verification :)

• I'm sure the admin doesn't shirk their work :D and app yes I think I've read they are working on that too while a BlackBerry app would be nice too alongside :)

• im sure they don't but piling more work on making them sift through members waiting to be verified plus developing verified badges and updating the website to show them is extra work that's unnecessary

What Guys Said 8

• Many users ask and answer - based on their experience - very private questions. If I knew my identity was known, even by the just the staff or a hacker could get to know it, I wouldn't post anything.

• no question of knowing the identity when as mentioned in the question that the pic need not be on profile or on public display, just to be sent to the admin with certain terms for verification. There are lots of people here who keep their genuine pics not only on the profile but also fill up their picture ares from time to time :)

And a hacker? guess they don't need to know anything about us to hack :D

• I don't really see the point. What would you gain by having an admin know who I am, personally?

• Sending them to the admins? that would take a very long time to verify everyone on GAG don't you think?

• My opinion? Sure why not I don't really care either way tbh...

• clicking a link in an email isn't that hard

• This is a Q/A website, not a social network.

• Why?

• I didn't vote because your options don't describe the right thing. Verification would make the user population on here plummet. Nobody would send this type of info to receive verification, and no other website that is worth their salt has this sort of thing. You would create a personal barrier to using this website and remove it's ease of access tremendously. Terrible idea.

There's a disclaimer at the bottom of some of the pages on here that says the answers come from fellow users, and to take them accordingly. That is all that needs to be said. If people take the answers on here unreasonably, or if others abuse the anonymous feature, the context of the website still needs to be considered. It isn't the site owner's fault that some people cannot do this when they clearly state to do so.

So no, verification isn't "boring" (not sure how that even relates). It is just useless and invasive.

• Its meant to be a choice not a compulsion, there are tons of members here who post their pics on the profile and picture areas and in addition verification as mentioned in the question is a pic with certain specs to be sent only to admin not made public :)

• What does sending a picture do? Are they going to verify your picture with your face in person or something? Having a picture of someone doesn't mean anything. Google has tons of those that I could send, and I'm still not even "verified" properly as you're suggesting.

And what would be the overall objective of being a verified member anyway?

• There are those who'd like to probably speak to people that they consider 'verified' while there are those who'd like to get 'verified' :)

The question does mention 'we can probably take a pic with GAG & our user name written and send it to Admin for them to verify us' and yes 'GAG and user name written must be on a piece of paper with the incumbent holding it while the pic is taken' - just a suggestion :)