When do you "rate" a question on GAG?

Do you only rate questions that are exceptionally good or bad? Do you never rate questions at all? Do you always rate them?

Other than making a question show up under the "top rated" tab, is there any other place this data is used (that you know of - only the developers of the site would know how it functions behind the scenes).

How valuable a feature is the rating?

Most Helpful Guy

• Any question I answer, I figure it must be fairly interesting, or hey, I wouldn't be answering it, right?

So I always give a question at least a 3.

Most people never rate questions here, of course, and there are a fair number of trolls who downvote every question of people they don't like. This has been happening to me for weeks.

What Girls Said 4

• when the question is worth rating if its really good I give it 5 stars if its something like race or something I give them 2 stars cause they are pointless

• When it's interesting/good or horrible/bad.

• Usually either when a question is really good or really shitty

• I rate the questions I answer.

If I'm not sure how to answer a question, I'll give it a rating to hopefully attract other users to it.

• Good point. It's a way to try to guide more eyes to the question.

• It's odd, questions can seem to go unrated for the longest time, but then as soon as one gets a rating people just flock to it, whether to answer or to rate. I don't know why people don't rate questions more often, it's so quick and simple to do and it can really help the QA.

What Guys Said 2

• I rate only the questions I answer. And I rate them based on what I think of them. Are they disturbing, boring, just for fun, have something interesting in them, or a question that's genius.

• I only rate them to see if I'm blocked or not. Occasionally I'll give a 5 star rating if my nipples get puffy from the awesomeness of the question, but that's incredibly rare.