Would you like the option to block individual Anonymous users on GAG?

You know how there's always those people that abuse the Anonymous function- the ones that use it just to say something unhelpful/negative/hurtful? What if you could block that person (despite their user name not being shown). It wouldn't reveal their user name to you, but if they ever tried to answer a question of yours in a non-Anonymous setting, they'd be blocked.

What do you guys think? Would you want an option like that on GAG?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I've wondered ever since I joined why we can't block anonymous people. It shouldn't be difficult to set up software that would allow us to block whoever is answering or commenting, even if we can't see who it is that we are blocking.

What Guys Said 12

• This idea has come up in the past, but was never implemented because they haven't yet figured out a way to do it without providing an exploit that would allow people to figure out who anonymous users are.

• The problem is that (despite changes in the software) anonymous posters can still troll and abuse the block feature while they're trolling.

• I don't see how it is a big deal that the trolling is anonymous. People would just make "troll accounts" then and use those if you had such a feature. I don't even see why it is a big deal that the troll was made anonymously or by a username. It's still trolling.

• If you make a troll jump through a hoop just to be an asshole, they probably will. If you make a troll jump through a hoop on fire just to be an asshole, there's a good chance that most of them probably won't.

Moral of the story: difficulty trolls

• I also see many making 5+ accounts as backup to pull things off. Some even use automated programs to make accounts. It just never ends.

• Yeah, but w/GAG's current settings, you see not only those willing to jump through flaming hoops wearing clothes soaked in gasoline, but also those who are barely willing to step through the first non-flaming hoop. This suggestion is designed to cut down on the troll population, not completely eliminate them. Kind of like pulling weeds.

• Ive been campaigning for that as long as I've been on this website (over 4 years)...the site does have new admins now so maybe that change will be implemented now!

• I never blocked anyone on GAG.

• I think anyone should be able to use anonymous. If people are saying dumb hints anonymously it's pretty clear. Just ignore hose

• I think that would be a useful feature for people, yes

• Yes that would be a good option .

• YES, I wouldn't use it that often tho, I would just like to have it just in case if I have to use it

• hell yea! I do since I got coward stalkers on my ass 24/7 in this site

• I would love to be able to block anons

I'd also like the ability to where if you block someone, they can't block you back

• I would much rather see the 12 year olds who claim to be 25 automatically blocked to anyone over 18. That would get rid of 80% of the STUPID questions that are posted on here. By the "regular" users posting them anonymously.

• It's very difficult to verify one's real age on line. How would you do it?

• Why does everyone care so much about anon users that act like cowardly bullies? I really don't care either way.

What Girls Said 11

• Yes. That's definitely something I would like to see in the new upcoming version. It's annoying when an anonymous user blocks you and then continues harassing you. It's happened to me once when I answered a question. The QA didn't like my opinion so she blocked me but continued posting comments on my answer yet I couldn't respond. There need to be some sort of solution for issues like that.

• I think a solution to that could be to automatically disable (not delete) a person's answer/comments on that answer as soon as the block occurs. Or you could fix it so that the person can still comment on their answer(s) but not make any new ones.

• Indeed, it seems possible. One of the bugs in the system and if there's a bug, count on trolls to find it and share it with other trolls.

• Yes.

It's to protect us from cowards abusing the anonymous function to troll. Kinda like being attacked from behind without being able to see the guy's face or hit back. Makes you feel powerless, doesn't it?

On the other hand, I also don't allow anon answers if I don't see why people need to go anon to answer my question.

• Sometimes I think they should. If you are going to ask & answer basically anonymous all the time then what's the point? I mean sometimes they are embarrassed, shy or scared or may be a troll, douche, biatch so idk. It doesn't bug me like 100% but sometimes it does.

• I think there should be an automatic 2 way block.

If an anonymous user blocks you (the QA), then they should also be put on your block list. But there wouldn't be an automatic unblocking.

But I like your idea as well. Maybe that's easier to implement

• Anonymous shouldn't even exist. I don't see a point to it.

You choose a screen name that is not even your name and you're not required to post a picture of yourself, so this site is pretty much anonymous as it is... you reveal as much as you want, what's the purpose of using anonymous? They should just get rid of it.

• Some people don't want to reveal their sexual orientation for fear of being harassed (god knows there's plenty of homophobes on this site), but still want to give help to those people for whom that info is relevant (to their question). Or, people don't want to reveal very personal experiences to strangers (& have people peek into their private lives) in order to answer a question.

There are some legitimate uses for the Anon function.

• I already know all that, you didn't have to type it all out. It's crap. Everyone is anonymous regardless, because really, who do you know from here in real life? Who does anyone here know in real life? Nobody, if anything, one or two people out of a whole bunch! So you can disagree and down vote, but it's pretty much retarded... Anonymity, is used by the vast majority of trolls, which is why they should allow us to block anon users or completely get rid of it, its mostly pathetic.

• Yes, definitely. Some users just use the anon function to troll and say the most horrible, stupid shit. And there's nothing you can do about it right now. I don't think that's okay. It's basically baiting trolls and cowards.

• I wish I could they are usually the ones that cause most of the problems.{evil trolls]

• Yes.

• There is no need for that. There is the report feature to remove their antagonizing comments.

• Yes yes yes

• Yes because anonymous trolls get out of hand and won't shut up.