Do you try to be 'popular' with your answers to questions, or do you tell it like it really is?

When someone gives you their measurements and asks if they need to lose weight, do you tell them the truth, or do you go with the copout 'every body is different' and 'it only matters if you feel good about yourself, blah blah" line? Just for example..

• I tell the truth
  • I play politics
Does anyone believe that 39 out of 40 people tell the truth on Gag and don't play politics?

It just means that 1) a lot of these people are kidding, and kidding even themselves

and 2) A lot of the 'popularity' types don't answer this question!

Most Helpful Guy

• I tell it like it really is. However, the truth can be told in a lot of different ways. I focus my answers not so much on telling the truth as on saying what people (sometimes not just the QA) need to hear. Sometimes that means telling them what they want to hear, so they don't doubt themselves too much and remember what exactly it is that they want in the first place, and sometimes it means telling them what they don't want to hear, so they stop trying to hold on to how they wish things would work and start focusing on how they really work.

So basically my answers carry elements of both realism as well as idealism.

What Girls Said 19

• I tell the truth but try to phrase it in a way to be the least aggressive and rude. But if they're just not making an attempt to understand what I said then my nice attempts turn into, "Listen, Stupid, this is how it is" type attempts.

• Oh wow! Just tonight my friend asked me if I thought she lost weight (she is already very very slim) And so I told her the truth, which was that she did lose weight, and that she looks very thin. I try to always tell the truth and I believe the truth is the best way to go. However, in select cases (for example when dealing with children) you might be allowed to dance around the truth a little... But not too much!

• The problem is when they are NOT thin and ask you such question!

• Yeah but she is like anorexic so it is the same problem lol, one is too big and the other is too small... either way I still tell the truth, but not in a harsh way to hurt feelings, as long as you are not a jerk about it, they would not be offended (most of the time but there are exceptions) :)

• I voted A. I don't care about being "popular"…I care about giving genuine advice.

• Most people seem like they play politics because their minds align with the popular opinion. Mostly because they are not able to think for themselves. Sometimes just because popular opinion is the wise one.

But I'm sure everyone THINKS they tell the truth.

• If yoou read the answers yoou'll see quite a few people ADMIT they are just avoiding the truth to feed the insecurities and neroses so common in the USA these days.

• I wasn't reading the answers to this question. I was looking at the poll results.

• I always tell the truth though I know I will get a lot of hatred. I'm not here to tell lies and give some false hope to people who really need advice.

• I just give my honest opinions regardless of how "popular" or "unpopular" it may be. Of course, I never want to intentionally hurt someone's feelings but I don't sugar coat my opinions either.

• I believe in telling the truth.

But I also believe in being sensitive to people's feelings when telling the truth. It's all in the how you word things.

If people want honest opinions, I would give honest opinions, but I would say it in a way that I think is constructive and won't hurt their feelings. It has nothing to do with being popular or not, it has everything to do with "treat others the way you want to be treated".

• I answer with an honest opinion. If people don't like it, then that's their prerogative but I've never really had an issue with speaking my mind.

• well, o.o? I never thought of that, never knew that you can be popular in GAG but

if I only play fake answering question, it won't be of much help for the one asking right?

• No. someone has to be honest, that person is me

• I usually tell it like it is. I don't sugar coat anything. I try to go about it in a way that doesn't make me sound rude though.

• i tell it as I believe it. the reason I use this website is to hear the differing truths that individuals believe. I want real opinions. so I want to provide the same for people here.

• What!? No of course not, just answer it truthfully. I never try to hurt someone or tell them a lie.

• The two can be mutually exclusive. What is the truth hurts the person?

• I answer questions honestly. I see no point in being on here if I don't give my true thoughts and opinions.

• I tell it like it is short & to the point.

• I always give a disclaimer to friends "do you want an honest answer?" Sometimes they tell me nevermind lol. If you ask me something I'm assuming you want the truth and aren't fishing for a compliment.

• My answer is pure honesty! Sometimes I can be harsh but I don't care if someone will get mad lololol!

• tell it like it is. being "popular" on gag means nothing anyways so why sugarcoat stuff

• Isn't that exactly what you would say if you were trying to be popular? I'M CALLING YOU OUT.

• what exactly do you gain out of being popular on GAG? XP's? oh wow how exciting

• I tell the truth but in respectful ways

What Guys Said 17

• I'd say it's a little bit of both. I'm not here to please anyone nor am I here to piss hordes of people off. If any of my opinions do though then there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not intentionally trying to hurt anyone but I also won't stifle what I have to say. It just so happens that I have a lot of accepting opinions so they tend not to piss anyone off lol

• Thanks for the honesty1 In other words, you avoid the truth if you think it'll be unpopular...

• No I'll post how I feel but I make sure it goes down easy.. I even said I won't stifle my voice. I feel like people sometimes intentionally try to be jerks when they voice their opinions and I don't think it's necessary. That's what I was trying to say.

• One of the nlyhonest answers! We all know most peple in my example won't tell the truth because they are afraid of fembots

• I tell it like it is, and am generally prepared to explain to them why it is like that.

The exception to this is political questions, where I'll now just tell it like it is, and then leave it at that - there are simply too many completely irrational right-wing arseholes on this site, who have no idea what they're talking about, and no interest in learning - they'd rather just keep spamming links to clips from Fox News and the like, months after you've lost interest in the discussion.

• I literally like, just blurt out the first thing that comes to my head. Seriously, even if it doesn't make any sense or does NOT pertain to any relation to the question.

I can respond one day with a substantial, thought provoking answer one day, and then talk about how sinister and dangerous those little plastic ends of people's shoelaces really are.

• I tell it like it is which had my last account deleted. and been warned already.. There are way too many sensitive weak minded people on here that cannot handle constructive criticism. Sad world of poor me's. lol

• I always tell the truth, and if I'm going to get murdered for it, and its not a topic I'm willing to keep discussing, I go anon.

• I tell it like it is. However I try to be as pragmatic as possible. No reason to be rude as that won't help, that's why we are here...

• I don't try to be "popular" and I don't go for the "copout" or tell it like it is. I give my own personal opinion and whether they or agree or disagree is up to them.

As for your example, if said person (let's assume it's a girl) told me her measurements and I liked those measurements then I would tell her that. But at the end of the day it's their decision and I'm just giving my own personal opinions, regardless of how popular or unpopular it is.

• I tell it how it is people count on the advice we give and they take it seriously so we should do out best to give an answer that will help them. Not play who gets the most popular answer.

• I always tell it like it is, to the point where Admin frequently claim I'm being unhelpful.

• Little bit of both. tired of the nastygrams from the moderators.

• My intention is never to be "popular" with my answers if that is how it comes across it is unintentional.

• If its a guy I tell the truth. If its a girl I usually lie. I don't want her to go all crazy on me.

• Here's to you, Alex, for being honest..A lot of these people who claim not to surgarcoat anything are kidding us.

• If I think someone is an idiot I'll explain why they're wrong, I won't say "you're an idiot". It's not sugar coating, it's being decent.

• I tell the truth even if I think they can't handle it.

• I tell 85% to 95% of the truth and I tell it in an honest, kind and sometimes even firm way if that is what it takes to help.

• What's the point of doing anything but telling the truth?

• Oh, anyone who's read *any* of my answers knows I don't play politics at all, lmao.