Why do people respond to questions that weren't meant for them on here?

There are some topics on this site that ask questions to people who have done or been through certain things.

Maybe the question will ask something like "which alcohol tastes better between these two?" Why would someone reply with "I've never drank in my life"?

That does nothing to help out the guy asking the question. Why even reply to a question that wasn't meant for you?

There should be a button, like the downvote button, that takes points away from someone when they post a something that isn't helpful at all. It should take away enough Xper to equal two or three questions.

I'm not sure if the downvote button does that or not.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's usually for the Xper points, and we do like to remove those answers that don't actually answer the question at hand.

If you see something like what you described in your example, please report that kind of answer. It's not helpful, it didn't answer the question and is clearly just Xper grubbing.

• Thanks for BA!

What Girls Said 9

• 1) Because they're bored.

2) Because they don't care about the question/asker's intention for the question

3) Because they have Munchausen Syndrome

4) To artificially inflate their GAG lvl and make their BS seem more relevant

5) Because they're too lazy to seek out a question they actually know the answer to and/or too lazy to type said answer.

6) Their ego tells them that people really care about (their) irrelevant statements as long as they are the one providing it.

7) The ends justifies the means (on this site, irrelevant, cr@ptacular answers are rewarded the same way that relevant, non-BA answers are)

8) Because they can do so Anonymously (no consequences for wasting peoples' time)

The list goes on...

• most of them want the xper points or are the type of people to butt in and have to give their experience on something even if its just well I don't do that, it annoys me when I see people who post a 2 or 3 word answer which is clearly just for points

• i also hate when people write a comment to a hypothetical question just saying "well that will never happen so there's no point answering" it makes me want to say duhhhh that's why its HYPOTHETICAL lol

• Because they want the points for responding.

• I know, right? Even when I said in my question "men only please", there's always some female moron who offers an answer, which, of course, is of no help at all!

Probably for the points... Or they just can't control themselves.

I usually let them know that their non-answers are unwelcome.

• Because some people want to give their opinion even if its not the question asked. Secondly sometimes the asker is not clear in asking their question, although that's not relevant in the example you raised, but is relevant to the site

• They want the Xper points...

And then you have the few who do that to "troll" users they hold egrudges towards

• For the points.

• They want the Xper points.

• To earn points is my guess. I see that a lot on here.

What Guys Said 5

• Because they get points for it, or they feel like they have an opinion... I personally do it sometimes when I feel I can answer the question, I don't really care if the question asked expects someone else to answer. I often answer questions that are 'girls only', sometimes just to annoy the people asking the question since they seem to be trolls more often than not.

• They jus' wanna.

• Points is points

• I find it mad annoying when I ask a question meant for guys and a bunch of females respond and kill the vibe of thing.

• For points