Why do people answer questions saying they didn't read it all?

Why do people answer questions saying they didn't read what you wrote or didn't read everything? I see this a lot, even on questions that aren't very long. What's the point in answering if you're not going to bother to read what someone took the time to say? Shouldn't what they say about their situation make a difference in how you answer?

Most Helpful Guy

• Saying things like tldr; is dismissive

I say if you didn't read it, you don't have a right to open your fucking mouth about it. That's like having an opinion about a book you haven't even fucking heard of or read

• If they say "tldr" then they are flat out being dismissive and disrespectful. They're trying to make it seem like your opinion is so meaningless that you don't even deserve a right to be heard. And fuck them for acting that way because it's childish

What Girls Said 12

• Some people just want the Xper points. Sometimes people give too many unnecessary details and people assume they can answer the main question being asked without reading the whole thing. I am guilty of doing this when people write extremely long questions without punctuation, extremely poor (I mean unreadable) grammar or spelling, and/or having no paragraphs so its just one long novel.

I might feel like I can somewhat help with my opinion or perspective but its hard to read through that.

It really depends on the question and what details are being shared. I'm also guilty of writing ridiculously long questions. However in those situations I try to make my point first and state the rest of the question are just details if anyone cares to have a better understanding. If they are really necessary all you can do is try to simplify it and hope genuine people come around to answer. Its the internet so its hit or miss.

• I answered a very lengthy question today concerning this girl who allowed herself to be put out of a car,in the middle of the street,because the douchbag couldn't take her all the way home. Why? Because he was late to see a game. In addition,he showed up late to the date unapologetically. She revealed this in about the first 4 sentences,and then I skimmed down further in her BOOK of a question,and I decided there was no reason to. With the little bit of skimming I did,I realized what the situation WAS and how I would respond to it...and I was correct. Of course the guy continued to disrespect her and somehow SHE wanted him back...even though he treats her like garbage.

My point is,sometimes you can get the meat out of question without having to read all of it. The worst question on here are the ones that discourage users from WANTING to read them with a whole bunch of unnecessary information that is not crucial to the story. " I like him but then I had a peanut butter jelly sandwich at about 5pm which was really good.And then I watched one of my favorite movies with some popcorn...yummm.He then sent me a text that said he wanted to break up.And then my mom came home and she was like,"Why didn't you take out the garbage? And I was like,Its because I was eating this sandwich,and watching this movie,and then I got this breakup text message". Gag,why would he break up with me?

This is a PRIME example of WHY a user would STOP reading an answer. Irrelevant information,in a post that fills up 95 percent of the characters allowed for posting a question equals...attention span wandering. I think long post can be great providing all of the info is crucial to the story and will further help a user to understand the situation. But damn it,MOST times on this site...GIRLS Especially feel the need to write what they had in the morning for breakfast,what color of shoes they wore,every single word of a 5 minute texting conversation etc etc.

I usually read most posts all the way through,but if I find that I am wasting moments of my life reading things irrelevant to the story...I WON'T.

• They want the quick points and they just assume that what you wrote isn't important. Most people can't hold more than 2 thoughts in their head, so even if they read everything, they forget it. I hate it when people give an off topic answer or give me crap for something that was already clarified in the description. I don't get it either, why do they answer at all if they don't want to read the question?

• Here are a few different reasons I could come up with:

1. They didn't feel the need to read the entire question to get an idea of what it's about

2. Sometimes QAs include lots of unnecessary information in their questions which you can skim through or entirely skip

3. They're only answering for the XPER points

• Actually, some people assume that if they read a part of your question, they can figure out an answer, without all the effort of readiung it to fully understand what is being asked. It's usually not a good answer though, as they can't really go into detail.

• Sometimes we get to your one sentence point right away or other times your answer is so obvious to the point you're almost screaming it at us in the question.

Keep in mind less is more if you want people to read the whole things.

• they want the points..

• Because we don't like all the useless details. We want to get to the point.

• For points. That's the only thing I can of. It irks me when people do that. Especially when they make assumptions , which I clearly addressed in my details to cover all of the corners.

I'm not going to lie. The ONLY time I do that is when their details are so ignorant, dumb and complete bs. Majority of the times, I just don't even bother answering.

• They want to make you feel like your description doesn't matter.. makes them look pretty damn silly though

• Probably because most people don't think about the question very much before they offer a response.

People maybe just like to participate but not participate in a meaningful way.

And also of course there are those people who only have an attention span for their own interests.

Best answer here.

• 3 points.

That's why.

What Guys Said 10

• People are too lazy to analyze and think. They just want to rant about what you MAY have said, or what they WANT you to have said.

• Quick, easy points. Some users are not very interested in actually helping others.

• Most of those people are answering just for their 3 XPer points

• Of course what you write should have an influence on how,what or why they respond. If it didn't. It would be like a person who didn't even read...the...questi...on...Never mind.

Seriously though. It's because some people are consumed by their own self importance. In other words it doesn't matter the discussion. They just like to hear themselves talk. Or in this case read what they type.

I'm not like that at all though. Because I KNOW that every opinion that isn't mine, is wrong

j/k

:-)

• I think reading everything is a must.

Because emotional questions like this, are often very disorganised. It also relies a lot on little hints in the text. One needs to read it completely to catch any contextual clues or jumbled facts that may not be obvious at a quick glance.

Not reading the whole thing is also not very respectful.

• A lot of people do it just for the easy points. 3 points just for every answer. Although, you could always report it because it is spam. Not fair to others who actually take a question seriously and earn those three points.

• Because they wanted to and they have that ability. Sometimes people don't care and sometimes they just can't relate to the rest of the description.

• I don't mind reading a longer question if proper paragraphs and punctuation are used. But when a QA can't be bothered to write concise English, I don't see the need to spend the time reading and re-reading the question just to make sense of it.

• I didn't read your question ...but it's for xper points ;)

I can frankly understand it somewhat regarding long blocks of texts, as I always skip answering those, but I sometimes see, as you say, replies that are "I didn't read the question but ..."; however I do love relatively short questions.

• to troll and get xper