How do you follow a user who has a private profile?

I tried to follow a user who has their profile set to private. But then I got a message like "The user's profile is private or they're not currently active", or something to that effect.

On the old GAG, you could just click "Add Friend" on any profile and then it was up to that person to confirm it. But I'm not sure how this Following thing works.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for your answers people :) My profile is public so I'll try and get them to follow me.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 3

• At this point, I don't think you can. Case in point, try to follow me.

• They probably made it so that you can't follow private profiles.

• if you want to get their attention you can send them a message or tell them in a comment

What Girls Said 4

• As far as I can tell, you can't. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if this is how they intended it to be... it doesn't really make sense.

• I'm assuming and hoping it's a glitch. There are people here who were not previously on my friends list (who I now follow), that are cool people and I'd like to follow them, but their pages are private. I'll wait and see if this is something admins have to iron out.

• On the old site, you could click on someone's profile and go "Add Friend", regardless of whether or not it was private. Then they'd get a notice saying whether or not they want to accept (accept/deny). I think you only saw their details after they confirmed friendship.

Maybe it should be the same here, where if someone follows you, you have a choice to accept or deny it.

• Yeah, I know you could still add someone as a friend even if their profile was private, but the follow feature also existed... well either way, who knows.

Anyways you could always message the Admins and mention this to them, or at least to ask for an explanation: http://www.girlsaskguys.com/contact

• According to Sparrow you can't follow some one who's profile is set to private. Poor set up if you ask me.

• Aww, I did not know.

• Currently, you must have a public profile if you want NEW Followers.
    However, we are looking into this further, so we'll let you guys know, of course, if it changes :-)

Note :: If you guys were already friends on the old version, whether they're private or not, ALL friends were automatically transferred to Followers/Following list.
    To get NEW Followers, keep your profile public :-)

• Thanks Sparrow!

• Ok so I didn't want to waste a question. So someone Messaged me and then I went to message back and it says user isn't active.. What's that mean?

• @Rcjh1987 - It means they either cancelled their account, or their account was cancelled for them.