Do you think GaG should have a gender queer option for gender?

Facebook just implemented non binary options for gender, such as transgender, gender neutral, gender fluid, and so on. At the moment, GaG only allows two gender options, male and female. This excludes anybody with a non binary gender. I for one feel this to be somewhat annoying, especially for anyone who would like to be on this site but doesn't know what gender they should put themselves as.
Do you believe this should be changed to include allow people to change their gender to gender queer, and why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 4

• The ability to decline to state ought to be sufficient. The science explaining gender, sexual preference, identity, etc is practically not science at this point, but borders on conjecture. I think our society places an unnecessary pressure on labeling and categorization of minutiae and we ought not rush to inject poorly understood ideas into the general public prematurely.

• I suppose so. Perhaps just an "other" option then, I don't think a decline to state option really fits with the entire premise of this site. Though on the whole gender identity thing, it has at least been scientifically proven that trans peoples' brains resemble the brains of the gender they identify as more than those of cisgender people. But I've gotta say, you get points for eloquence.

• At the very most they should offer the following options: Male, Female, and Other.

• Yeah, the other was what I was talking about with Gender queer. Believe me, I think separate categories for gender neutral, gender fluid, agender, etc., would be terrible. But gender queer basically covers most everything non binary, so that's what I think would be nice.

• I'm largely in favor of keeping it simple. You got a dick, male. You got a vagina, female. Maybe add in "Other" for people that throw a fit if they have to choose.

I really don't care what people do in the bedroom or how they dress and act but you can not keep indulging everyone that comes up with some new nuance.

• Yeah, the other thing was what I meant. I don't want a bunch of different options for exact gender identity, just something for gender neutral, gender fluid, intersex, etc. people.

• No.

If you're born with a penis, click male. Vagina, click female.

if born with neither, you are an unfortunate, tiny minority born with severe problems, and you should see a medical professional.

• But many people don't identify as either, and would likely feel uncomfortable being labeled as one gender or the other.

• @reed3000: who, me? Why?

• No! Not you at all, the guy asking. Probably should have made that more clear oops

What Girls Said 4

• I don't think so. Most people are born male or female and it is easier to distinguish if there is no queer feature and even if you are queer you can mention that in your question or make it obvious by being a male asking about a man or a woman asking about a woman. Most people are not gender neutral.

• But there is a large chunk of the population that's gender queer. By gender queer I don't mean LGBT, I just mean people who don't identify as male or female. And yeah, they're a minority, but there's still plenty of them and it's nice to be inclusive of everyone. Having a gender queer option would do that.

• (large chunk being meant relatively) They're certainly the minority, but they're a not altogether insignificant minority.

• Sure, why not. :) If Facebook can do it that GaG can.

• Transgenders identify as the gender they've changed to though. So if they feel that they're a male then they sign up as a male, it's the same if they feel they're female. If they want people to see them as the gender they identify with then why would they want to be under a different category? A friend of mine just came out as female to male Transgender but he doesn't like to draw attention to it. He wants people to just see him as a male, and not as a Transgender or as someone who used to be female. So I imagine if he signed up for this site he'd want to sign up as a male.

• I'm not talking about FtM or MtF people. I'm talking about those who identify as gender queer, gender fluid, etc.

• If your a female, then your a female. If your a male, then your a male. There shouldn't be any of this "I don't know who I am or who I want to be, I am neither a guy nor girl". Well if you're neither, then there must be a problem cause in my book, there is only male or female. None of this neutral crap.

• I apologize for the gramaticl errors or strong opinion.

• Yes, I know, that is what I'm saying.

• So then why don't you think there should be a gender neutral option?