Followings and following? What is the difference?

What is the difference between the two? If i want to talk to someone it says only followings can message them, how do i do this?

What Girls Said 1

• Followers = Users who are Following you
    Following = Users you are Following

Under "My Settings", we let you guys choose if you ONLY want to allow users YOU ARE FOLLOWING to send you messages.
    If you tried to send someone a message and you got that "only followings can message them" pop up, it means they are not Following you and only allow those they're following to message them.

I hope that helps :-)
    http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq

What Guys Said 1

• Follows is broken down into following (who that person is following), followers (people who are following that person), and topics, questions, and articles. Don't know where you got followings.

Each person can set in their settings whether they want to let anybody message them or only people they follow. If you cannot message someone, they have set it that way. You must follow them to try to get them to follow you before you can message them. (That is all from what the site says. I cannot vouch that it all works that way.)