Has anyone "followed" or was "followed by" anyone in the new GAG?

I used to add friends in GAG even though it is not really a social networking site, i have not followed anyone since the big change. I find it creepy to "follow" someone. The first thought that comes to mind is that its inviting yourself to be blocked by that person. Anyone else thinking like me?

Yeah !! I would feel like such a goof if I followed someone and i don't get followed back.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. It's a bit strange or creepy to "follow" someone. What if they don't want to be followed? What if I'm bothering them?

I sent someone here a message asking if I may follow him. He answered that I certainly may. We've been exchanging messages ever since. He's a very nice person.

Two other girls commented on opinions I gave asking if they may follow me and I happily said yes since they seemed to be very nice people.

I guess that's how I go about it. I take permission first. It's better than just pushing the "follow" button without saying anything. :)

What Girls Said 8

• Yeah, I haven't really used that feature since the update. Mainly because my profile is private so no one can follow me which I don't like. I would at least like to have the option to accept or deny if someone wants to follow me. I don't want to take my profile off of private.

I have not followed anyone either. I liked the "friend" system much better. It was more personal and gave the site more of a sense of community.

• Yeah I agree. I bet there's a good chance they'll see you logic at some point and at least have allow private users to be followed and just add blocking followers as an option.

• yeh i have been followed and have followed people…. idc what gag says i still see them as my 'friends' :)

• I don't see it as following but just as adding friends or allowing them to add me as a friend request. I did comment a few times or maybe messaged it to a few friends that the follow feature for adding friends is just weird and you are correct in the fact that it is creepy. I don't want to follow anyone except my religious teachings and Prophet.

Plus you can only follow someone on here now if you or they have a public account not private

• I usually don't follow most people back. But I follow back my real life friends who join and old friends who are back on the site.

• Oh !! You have "real life" friends here? Are you comfortable being so open with them about everything that is exchanged here?

• Fair enough. :)

• I know all of my friends know I kind of have no morals and that I'm openly sexual so I wouldn't care if they joined

• Lol. I am following you. xD

• Oh God !! You HAD to put me on the spot. Ok. I'll follow u then. Hehe.

• Yea, I have.

• Yup. I have followed and followed back some people

• I don't think it's creepy at all. I mean, we're talking about the internet, not Following someone in a store or something, haha! If people didn't want others reading what they had to say, they wouldn't be posting it on the internet.
    It's not creepy to want to see certain users' activity in My Feed. It's just another way to see more questions easily, and a great way to get the best advice possible since you can choose to Follow someone who regularly gives good advice or asks interesting questions.
    Following them doesn't "bother" them, they won't even know unless they specifically LOOK at who's following them.

Yes, a few people started Following me after the new version launched... and I've followed a couple of them back.

• May be its the old-fashioned farts like me who never accept the new ways :)

What Guys Said 4

• If 'following' were creepy then Twitter won't have ever succeeded ;) and FB which is a networking site i. e. make friends stuff primarily won't be having a 'follow' feature :)

We are probably mistaking the 'follow' to 'stalking' :D I think the 'follow' feature makes more sense than 'friends' since GAG is an Q&A site and when we think someone's questions or opinions are good we have the option to follow them so that we are kept posted on their activities on our feed thus avoiding going through everyone's profile to check separately what questions they've asked or what opinions are submitted :)

That's how I perceive it :)

GAGgers still have an option of keeping their profile private :)

• Yeah, I liked it when the friend option was there. I wish that with my private account, you could request to follow me, but that's not how it is right now.

• Yes I've followed and I don't feel scared about it!

• i haven't use it yet. My profile is private so i guess people can't follow me