Does a 16 year old's advice about fixing one's struggling marriage really hold any value?

So, I have been helping people on this website for a year now (I think). The advice I've been giving has to been to both genders from my age to people more than twice my age.

What interests me is that there has been many responses I've given to numerous amounts of people about their marriage/relationship issues and I somehow managed to help them solve their problems.

I'm thinking that this is weird that someone decides to actually take advice from a 16 year old. Does this mean that people actually don't care but the person who is giving it but the content of the advice themselves.

Mind you, I have never been in a relationship before nor have I've been asked out or crushed on a person before. This is adding to the fact that I'm surprised many people take my advice. So any thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I haven't met you yet but typically in real life adults don't listen to people your age because you know how some people just give your age group a really bad rap. Also If you are smart for your age thats great and this means you should have less problems when you grow up.

What Girls Said 9

• The thing with advice is, sometimes it takes a completely unbiased third party to help solve a problem.

I don't think it's surprising at all that your advice has helped people. Even though you are young, you can still give good advice.

Sometimes people already know the answer, but just want to be reassured that what they are doing is right. So it doesn't take being married to know the answer.

• "From the mouths of babes."

Yes, people who are outside of a situation can often give good advice, because they are able to look at it objectively. However, don't think that you are an expert on relationships, because they are much more complex than they appear on the outside.

• Yes but is someone who is like 45 years old really going to see a 16 year old capable of doings the things you just mentioned that well?

• No, not at all. I would not seek out the advice of someone less experienced from myself. However, sometimes people with less experience can see things from an objective perspective and might offer something useful. We can learn from those instances, but that does not mean that we will seek out younger mentors.

• Often people know the answer but need reassurance that they're right or are so blinded by being so close to the situation that they can't see what's obvious to a distant observer. We all have a part of us that's 16 but we try to dismiss that voice as naive even if it speaks the truth.

Personally I never look at the age of the answerer. A 4 year old can give you the best advice purely because they see life simpler.

• I think you probably can give good, rational advice because you don't really have so much experience in dating... I used to be the same way... You are still able to see the facts and you haven't really experienced all the emotions and craziness that you feel when you are in the situation.

I think you are still able to see the facts about it without it being clouded by opinions or past good or bad luck with dating.

• Age doesn't matter what matters is whether the advice given is good. Who knows your advice might work better than a adults. It just depends on how the other person interprets

• This is an advice forum, i'm sure there are people who will take your advice into consideration without heavily judging your age unless you've been told, your words are worthless due to your age.

• sometimes people just need to hear good old-fashioned common sense

• Perhaps, I wonder if I would incorporate my own advice in a relationship, that is if I got into one. :l

• hmm it says i'm following

• This is weird... Any suggestions as to what we should try next? :)

• It can if your advice is sound and makes sense to them.

• Your wise that's good I don't think age has anything to with it you either born with it or not

• Haha! I guess my school was right to put me on the G&T list.

• Though I don't know why I would be wise if I had 0 experience XD!

What Guys Said 4

• Age has no relation to intellect or intent :) I have been almost the way I was at 16 as I am now.

Experience however does matter and that comes with time :)

When someone asks a question that is bothering them, they look at the answer first and age later. If the answer sounds like a logical one or something that they want to hear you'll most likely be praised for being precocious :)

Whichever way nothing wrong or weird about anything here :)

• Yes your advice is valuable.

When you are involved in a situation you are usually so consumed by it. a lot of time is spent trying to figure out how something happened, and less on how it could be addressed. Plus there may be anger involved too. Which can keep someone from rational thinking.

When a person who is distanced from the situation (like yourself) looks at it. They will be able to use more common sense, calm, rational thinking. Because of this, even if you have not experienced the situation, you are able to give a different perspective.

Therefore your advice IS valuable.

:o)

• im on the same boat, it usually come down too the content of advice and how it is delivered. Plus, people are better at solving other peoples problems then there own.

• i think you can give good advice, just not the one they want to hear