Why did they put a character limit on the private messages we send on here?

I'm shy and quiet person, but once I'm comfortable with somebody. I usually have a lot to say. But, on this new site. That's become difficult. You are allowed so many characters, in the messages now. That you have to send more then one message and after five messages in a row, I start to look like a stalker lol (which I'm not).

So, what's with the character limit with the private messages on here? Was there a reason for that? If so, what's the reason?

Most Helpful Guy

• They are following the Twitter model. As per them, this is not a social networking site.

What Guys Said 1

• They want you to keep them short and sweet.

What Girls Said 2

• just give the person your email if you want. its weird, i agree, but i dont message people here so i guess its not a issue for me

• Because we have it set up more like a chat system, so they simply need to be a little shorter each time.
    We have listened and recorded all feedback regarding the limit though, so we'll be considering it when making changes :-)