Why do people post as anonymous on GaG?

I dont really get it? Essentially on here you are just a username and an avatar and maybe a little bit of personal information in your profile (nothing more than what you want there)? Is that not already anonymous enough?

And if by chance someone reads all your posts, and figures out who you are in real life, guess what, they did that because they actually know you that well, so again, what does it matter?

Anyways, I would like to know peoples reasoning behind this :)

just wanted to say a blanket thank you to everyone who has responded so far =) i didn't quite realise the harassmen, unwanted advances, and hate that people, especially some of the girls have to put up with behind the scenes...
trolls will be trolls i guess :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Last time I looked I think I figured I was anon like 5% of the time.

Reasons I use it sparingly:

- if I'm giving very personal info about friends or family. I'm quite open but they haven't agreed to be.

- a few things where people would accuse me of lying to look good or suck up I go anon because it's actually more believable. I'd have less reason to lie anon so the answer has more value.

- some really controversial topics I go anon because I don't care enough about them to keep having that debate forever with people outside of that question.

• it can also be said that anon has no reason what so ever to tell the truth :P

but well said :)

What Girls Said 11

• I only post anonymous when talking about sex and sex-related topics. Because I don't want guys to start messaging me because they want to chat dirty and swap naughty pics.

• guys on here actually do that? i can understand a little wanting to message someone asking them to explain something they have said in a sex related thread which had been directed at me, but been able to because of anonymous.

im starting to think that maybe GaG needs a message filtering option where you can can say, i dont want people below X xper level to be able to message me. or just outright blocking :P

• yeah i think im going to use this by default from now on :P not that my questions on here have been all that meaningful at this stage.

• meh, people can get nasty from non-meaningful questions.

• well sometimes I ask questions for friends, so then I don't really want them to be seen on my profile

• you could always stick a disclaimer at the start ;) (not that people would believe "my friend has this really bad itch after hooking up with a guy on the weekend, what should she do")

• It's weir to ask questions like that. It sounds distanced. It's better to ask them as if she was actually asking

And as for answers, when it's about sex I often get tons of messages from guys asking more about it, following that question and I don't want that

• also a few times, I somehow clicked on it accidentally. I like the old version better, where you could change that afterwards

• People like to start fights here and insist my opinion is wrong. There's a lot of emotional basket cases here who goes ga ga just because they can't deal with an opinion that isn't politically correct. I'd say they seriously to get a life and calm the eff down.

• They may be giving a personal answer or question and not feel comfortable even if it is just people here. Some people are even anonymous so they can post something nasty without others knowing it is them.

• the people posting nasty or dumb shit and not owning it is the bit that gets me.

• i only just noticed the dont allow anon replies today when i was making this question. i should have used to to weed out the smart ass responses :P

• bahahaha yea, it def helps:)

• I could never figure it myself!

• i dont know man probably cos they are embarrassed or something.

• After becoming more known on the site, some people like to mess with people and posting anonymously keeps that kind of "harassment" at bay, for the most part.
    Also, some questions and opinions are very personal and people don't feel comfortable sharing it without hiding even their internet identities.

• I get so angry when people post anonymously.

• No. I have people who know me in real life following me around on this site. It started with an interested guy and a jealous girl trying to ruin my reputation so she can take him from me.

• how did they follow you here, and how do they know who you are on here?

• I mentioned that I had a brain tumour removed, that I had 7 professors in my family, that I was in the gifted program and that I was studying history at a top school so they knew it was me. I had 200 people reading my online profile after this jealous girl started gossiping about me to others and one of them found me on GAG.

• Ok. its funny i was thinking it would have to be a faily unique set of circumstance that you would have to disclose to make you identifiable, and yours are some fairly unique circumstances :P

• I do it because of strange experiences I've had here and on other forums where guys started sending PMs or e-mails and getting rude or sexual.

• GaG has a feature in its settings somewhere where you can't be messaged privately unless you are following that person?

Personally i haven't looked into it, but maybe there is even a block feature in there?

What Guys Said 10

• Sometimes if I'm low energy that day or something and I answer a topic I think will be controversial, I'll do it anonymously. I feel less obligated to return over and over to respond to the comments on my posted opinion.

And I also do it accidentally sometimes. If you click the grey space to the right of the word "Anonymous" it will check it for you. I accidentally hit the (massive) touchpad on my laptop more frequently than I'd like to admit, don't notice, and end up posting anonymously lol.

• Im scared that my friends will see me on here. i feel like it would be weird if a friend saw me on here because im asking questions to strangers

• is your skin complextion snow white and featureless and when you do start jumps you radiate blue light? or do your friends in real life know you as youhelpmeihelpyou?

otherwise as i said earlier, they would have to know you pretty damn well to figure out its you?

• i forget that people use sites like this for super useful things like that lol

• hahahaha just an example

• either embarrassing or they feel that if their parent/s. o got a hold of their username that they would read bad things

• usually to avoid harassment for their opinion

• if you can't stand by your opinion or are unwilling to defend it, why bother voicing it?

• you shouldn't get xper for posting under anonymous in my opinion

• You should ask that to anonymous bloggers, then. Many of them face heavy backlash for the stuff they post, but feel they need to get it out there. GirlWritesWhat is an example, with very politically-incorrect overtones. She only recently came out. Many atheist bloggers as well. We're talking bricks in windows, and spams of hate mail. Standing by your opinion is one thing. But when the backlash isn't argumentative, but angry, it's often to your benefit to keep your identity separate from the argument.

• Good question but I can understand why sometimes lol

• We like to keep all this mystery;-p

• I have been harassed by some users for my views on certain issues so I just find it easier to go anon. That said, I'm not sure I understand why you have a problem with it. As you said, we are all anon here anyway unless we intentionally share personal info so why do you care whether people show our user names?

• because even though i have only been here maybe 2 weeks, i have already noticed there are personalities that i like and dislike, and even if i think someone is maybe a bit of a dick, they are still a person of interest, and i still go out of my way to read the things they say. anonymous is well, shit in this respect.

• Yeah well being harassed is shit too.

• I agree. You don't need to post anything anonymously. You are already anonymous on here anyway. What a bunch of low life retards. I've never been so disgusted by all these anonymous people in my life. Who cares if someone on GaG thinks poorly of you? As if you will ever meet them. People need to show some balls and just say what they want without going anonymously. Bunch of morons these days.

• I get nervous when I tell people about my genitalia.