Why do people get so butt-hurt over people's answers?

People ask questions on this site to get feedback on their issues...but I've had people block me for giving legit responses to their questions just because they don't agree with the opinion. Do you think most people only post on here so they can have people tell them they're right instead of really looking for answers? Because I feel like that's mainly what this place is right now...I'm relatively new so hopefully I'm wrong. This site seems like a really great idea...but it's really annoying when people are basically like "You're not telling me exactly what I want to hear so I'm blocking you". It's like the internet equivalent of a child sticking their fingers in their ears going "lalalala" while you're trying to give a serious response.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's exactly what this website is and has always been. I used to watch as people were awarded "Best Answer" because they sympathized with the asker and told them what they wanted to hear whereas, if you gave any view that they didn't want to hear, they'd ignore you / block you.

It used to be worse then because bands of users would stick together in a sort-of cult and consistently downvote your answers out of spite rather than on the content of your answer.

What Guys Said 3

• Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And every asker who asks a question should be prepared for all kinds of answers and should be open-minded about them.

• The truth hurts, and it's funny seeing people give the best answer to the one that agrees with them rather than the most insightful/ truthful one. Haha good luck solving your problems.

• There are times when denial is the only route for self-sustenance. Any who would shatter this must be terminated.

What Girls Said 4

• to be fair, some people do post very offensive answers. I have blocked people before because I don't find the way they express themselves to be respectful of the other people involved in the discussion, but i have also been blocked before for just disagreeing with someone. but if they block me? who cares! that just saves me from having to interact with them again.

• You answered your own question :) no one wants to hear the truth even if they say they want to. They also don't want advice that they don't like either, I think it's more a forum to have a whinge and then act all spooky after not hearing or being told what you want :)

• Totally unrelated but how do you pronounce whinge?

Related - I try to figure out why people are saying something I don't want to hear, then take the advice of their rationale is convincing. Usually.

• Whinge is similar to whine (it might only be an Australian word?)
      I think it's hard for us all to take opinions that that we either don't agree with or don't like. However it's all apart of learning to grow and accept people's differences

• Because it's the internet, and the anonimity of it gives some people the green card to be their real selves without consequences. So some people might actually do something that they wouldn't do in real life.

• Because people tend to forget this is just the internet.