Who here thinks the addition of Kontera is a good thing?

OK so for those who have no clue what Kontera this site just added this new thing which underlines certain words and phrases in a sentence twice in blue and adds a little pop up link to it looking like a speech bubble in a comic book, that features an advertisement that has little or nothing to do with what the hell you were talking about in the first place. Worse yet it's likely to have a ton of these f__ing things per post if you're a guy like me. I for one think these things are annoying as hell, ugly, tacky and overall unprofessional looking. I feel they cheapen and degrade the site and for what it's here for. I mean OK this site had it's share of ads on it in the past but I for one can deal with that. generally they were out of my way, they didn't pop-up in the middle of me typing something, and generally they were off to the side. Kontera on the other hand is a lot more in your face. Nah man I can't go without saying something.

Anyway the reason I bring this one up is because I want to make a point, state my opinion, and I also would like to see if anybody else here feels the same way. I'm willing to bet the people who run this site don't actually care about what we think in this matter because this is either making or saving them money. Still I'm going to hope I'm wrong.

So my fellow posters, what do you think of this new addition of Kontera? Love it? Hate it? Tell me all about what you think about all this.

As always the best answer goes to the person who can offer up the most insight on the matter. Go nuts.

• I love it!
  • I like it.
  • I dislike it.
  • I hate it!
Wow is it me or is it gone already?
Hey everybody...

JenH posted an update to answer my question.

Most Helpful Girl

• Thank you for your poll question, Toban_Frost! Everybody's feedback, positive or negative, is incredibly appreciated by the GirlsAskGuys team.

Kontera was implemented this week and I agree that it is a little intrusive. We are testing out different advertising campaigns and companies...some will work well and some will not. All of your honest answers and comments will help us make the right decision. For now, we need to let Kontera run so we can gauge the results overall. That said, the last thing we want to do is create a distracting or annoying experience for any of you.

The advertising we implement permanently across our website should provide you with even more options relevant to the answers or advice you are seeking. Please bear with me as I figure out what works best for all of us!

Another idea we are exploring is to offer a Premium Membership and hide all advertising for qualified members. You could pay a small monthly or annual fee to join or earn a premium status with a certain number of Xper points.

Thanks to all of you and please keep the feedback coming!

• I'm also on Something Awful. Their memberships are a one time payment. Something like that might help you guys out a bunch, though I'm not sure anybody else would be as nice about payed premium memberships as someone like I would.

• I was more thinking along these lines. I'm here almost entirely to give out advice. I'm not gonna pay to work. I try hard with a lot of answers. So paying to do that might drive me off.

• Hello, I wanted to provide an update and a note.

Update: As you can see, we have removed the Kontera text links from the majority of the site. Your feedback prompted this decision so, again, thank you for your honesty!

Note: GirlsAskGuys will NEVER make you pay! If (and it's doubtful) we ever offered a paid premium membership, it would be completely optional and come with a variety of benefits. We have no plans to do this anytime soon.

What Girls Said 12

• I read this question today and voted in the poll (hate it) but didn't feel strongly enough to make a comment until now. For one, earlier today there were two phrases underlined your post, and now there are three. And reading other questions and answers on this site, I dislike it more and more. Here's why:

1) I find the blue words to be really distracting visually. It adds unwanted emphasis to words that the author didn't intend.

2) People come here because they seek guidance, and because they enjoy helping other people. Most (but not all) of us write thoughtful, well-reasoned answers that take a little time and effort to procure. To have our questions and answers sprinkled with ads makes it visually similar to the adds in the margins (ie, cheapens the look), and again, draws the eye to certain words or phrases which were not intended to be emphasized.

3) Ads like Kontera may prove counterproductive in the long term. I understand that free sites have expenses and need revenue, but added traffic generates revenue as well. GAG provides the place, but they get their content free of charge, from us. Less content means fewer visitors. To make it less enjoyable for us to provide content is to bite the hand that feeds them.

I get some satisfaction from giving guidance to people who ask for it. When my enjoyment is reduced because of things like Kontera, I'm less likely to spend my time and energy .

If they keep it, I'll still be around. But I probably will reduce how many questions I answer and ask.

• It's only one right now lol. Earlier it was four. Seriously WTF?

• Oh hey! now it's zero. But now your answer has a couple. LOL

• I hate it... It's bloomin' lame. We have already had our share of relatively obnoxious ads on the side of the website, on the side of questions... and one always randomly in the middle of and splitting up answers. Also were they have the ad in someone's profile which is also always irrelevant... and if you ask me disrespectful to the person trying to portray themselves and next to that there is an Asian marriage ad next to it.

I have suggested too the people that they move some of these normal ads so that maybe they are the longer ones that could fit in the boarder of the site or even one of them ones that's like a folded page or something in the corner - at least then the site would look tidy.

For them to ad this new form of crappy advertising is ridiculous, it like others have said most of the time irrelevant to the word itself even. I think if girls ask guys people were to intrude on questions and answers would be to have a definition of a word not an ad 'linked' to it...

Ads are 'loud' and annoying for the most part and can be distracting from the overall content. Girls ask Guys people, why didn't you just listen to my suggestion? (others probably gave the same...)

• This site is actually part of the reason why I enabled Adblock Plus for Firefox. The ads didn't bother me at first, but when they started showing up in the questions, it bothered me. I feel like that takes away from the question itself since you're basically bombarded with advertisements every time you read the details of a question.

And now that I'm finding out that they have Kontera, I'm just as happy to have Adblock Plus. I hate those little bubbles that pop up when I accidentally scroll over the text. I agree that it seems unprofessional. I expect to see that form of advertising on a site that someone with limited funds put together on their own, not on a site like this.

• I completely agree with everything you said. The increase in ads is one of the primary reasons why I don't like this site as much as I use to.

• i hate it with a passion, it's so stupid, yes it may bring some kind of revenue to the site itself but personally I think there were enough damn ads in the first place, now they have to place stupid ass sh*t like this Kontera bullsh*t, it's distracting, asinine, and it made me think they were links about the question at first WTH!, and the fact that you barely even have to scroll over them and then they pop up is the most annoying thing of all

• Well I've only seen them in this question, because it's the first that I've looked at today. I've seen more than 6 now, and I f***ing hate it. I don't mind the other adds, like the ones on the sides or at the top of a question, but f***ing pop-up bubbles? Hell no. I understand that they need to advertise to keep the site going, but it looks like sh*t with blue words all over. I couldn't really even read one answer because the 5 blue words were so distracting! I think I'm going to find AdBlock...

• Annoying, really annoying!

• i don't like it aall that much I always click it and then am like darn I didn't mean to click that.

• I hate how it when I move my mouse over it the popup doesn't go away for a while. I guess it didn't occur to them that some of us might want to read what somebody said.

• I hate both those problems

• Yep, I hate it, I only just noticed it on one answer and it already annoys me! It looks sh*t and I sh*t.

• Lol badd spelling mistake there! haha! I mean *is sh*t not I sh*t loll.

• I think I got the idea

thanks for the answer

• Thanks for posting this, it annoys the sh*t out of me. They better get rid of it.

• argeed. I really hope they change it.

• eh..its kinda cheesy but not much of a big deal.

What Guys Said 14

• I noticed immediately upon logging in.

Hell, there's one in your post.

I really think it makes the site look unprofessional.

I'm particularly discontent about the direction that the site is heading this this kind of blatant advertisement.

Now, mind you, keeping a site like this open and giving away Amazon Gift Cards does require money. However, I feel as if this it could be done without defacing the website.

It's not nearly as Blatant as pop-ups, or those "shoot the squirrel" games that you see in the side panel on myspace, though. I'd hate to see those here, but I'd not be surprised if either of those were the next stage a larger ad campaign.

• I don't know if it's because I have the "AdBlock Plus" application enabled on my firefox browser or what, but I don't see the Kontera at all. I'll try disabling it real fast to test the theory.

• Yup, I can now see the Kontera...lol

Maybe you should try downloading this adblock plus app. I also forgot that there were ads next to the question too.

• I think they really bug. I didn't vote hate though because after a few clicks on misleading links I learned to just avoid them. They are still really annoying because they look legit, but then you click on them and they take you to something totally unrelated.

• The founders of the site care about their users. Don't mistake that. How should they support the site? Have no ads and have to close shop?

I understand your point of view - completely - but - think of it from their shoes - they serve thousands of visits daily and need a way to ensure server costs are handled at best.

I personally own GuysCryToo.com - I have no advertising besides Google AdSense - it helps - but it's the wrong advertising platform - hence my new website with better monetization strategies.

If you would like to discuss more about social media networks and their associated costs and suggest your ideas - call me: 502-287-3302 Rob Docherty - I'd be happy to discuss.

I believe while your opinion is appreciated, perhaps it was the wrong way to go about it.

• I have no complaint with the other ads. There are 3 adds to the right, one above the question and one above this comment. And I am not complaining about those. Those are fine. I think all those ads were ok but I gotta say it man, the links and popups in nearly every couple sentences? Screw that man. It's tacky, annoying and just plainly looks unprofessional. I take no issue with the other 5 ads per page.

• I apologize if I came off negatively towards you. That was not my intention.

I understand where you're coming from. Thanks for being civil. :)

• Kind of annoying and distracting.

But not a huge deal to me. The blue hyperlinks on Wikipedia used to drive me crazy, but I got used to them, too...

• I really don't like it...but it doesn't drive me nuts...I can live with it, though I'd prefer it weren't here.

• It bugs me.

• I think they're stupid. It interferes with the site to the point where it might actually decrease the user to the point where it costs them money instead of makes them money.

All ads interfere somewhat with enjoyment, but the extent is key. Also, some ads are somewhat related to what you're doing, and can actually be useful to the consumer.

These ads interfere greatly and are complete random crap. Whoever is paying money to get these ads put up is just burning money.

The owners of this website should wise up.

• I like it like I like spam email...

In other words, I don't.

• 2 words: "I hate it."

Oh I meant 3 words actually.

• Personally, I'm not a big fan. It's annoying and yaddi yaddi but the site owners need to make money somehow. That money could very well go into improving the site instead of profit. Who knows?

• its like being "tagged" basically

• It's annoying, but this website has to make money somehow.

• You pretty much said it nailed it. It's f***ing annoying is what it is. I hope they get rid of it soon.

• As do I. thanks for writing