How should one deal with GAG users who have no clue how to give subjective advice without pushing overly critical judgment on a total stranger?

I've noticed quite a few GAG users who really are clueless when it comes to giving useful, subjective advice. Instead, they use the post as an opportunity to act like Judge Judy.

Now, it can be tricky to not be judgmental of someone. However, trying to tell someone who they are and proclaim what problems they have based on the limited pixels and characters on a GAG post is absolutely irrational and unintelligent. One post on GAG does not dictate an entire individual's personality. GAG posts are simply one puzzle piece to who someone is. It's annoying when some users arrogantly try to tell you who you are and what you are about with all of their limited, nonfactual experience of you. If someone has not taken the time to get to know you, observed your behavior with those who are close to you, and generally does not know your daily nature as an individual; then THEY DO NOT KNOW YOU. They may have knowledge on one situation of your life, based on the info you provide. Yet that doesn't mean they know the ins and outs of your psyche and it's so arrogantly useless, rude, and tacky to proclaim that they do.

Then when you simply let them know they have misinterpreted you, they forcefully insist on repeating their miscalculation over and over. Seemingly unless you submit to their arrogant assumption. What is the best way to deal with people like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. GAG is meant to be an open forum to help each other the best possible way
    2. It is not a professional advise website where the answerers are professionally qualified to do so
    3. People answer based out of their experiences and gut feeling as well as logic
    4. GAG admin does ensure that those who cross a line are warned and subsequently terminated if they persist with certain traits
    5. The best way is to ignore those that don't meet your requirements
    6. You can also block anon answers thus limiting those hiding behind anonymity to barrage you with their own thoughts
    7. One can't expect everyone to be the same so there are those who tend to be judgmental and also impose it on someone - at least try to
    8. Almost all of us here are anon even if we post our own pics but especially women can't avoid stalkers anywhere - even here
    9. We will tend to find all types of people everywhere, while even if blocked if they go anon while answering their answers will reach us
    10. As said again best way is to ignore them :)
    11. If their opinion is racist or something similar then there's a 'report' link which helps :)

What Guys Said 6

• Depends on the situation, if it's really unhelpful input just ignore it... if it breaks the rules or guidelines you can report it for being irrelevant or unhelpful. I'd say that would be abused if everyone took that attitude though, i've given answers which are blunt and definitely not what the asker wanted to hear... and instead of you know thinking i'm trying to be as honest as possible they would rather tell me I don't know the situation and I don't know this or that, true maybe I don't know the full story but I can only answer what is in front of me, I can't answer in depth questions if they don't tell me everything I need to know. So, yeah...

• Ithink you forfeit being treated like a child when you post a question on a forum like this. Some people are going to be shall we say, untactful about how they respond.

If you can't handle direct, unvarnished criticism,..well, maybe that is why so many people are ALWAYS anonymous!

• Don't assume that I can't handle direct criticism because I don't appreciate being talked down to by a total stranger who doesn't know me. If someone thinks it's acceptable to literately speak to someone like they know them and lecture them about problems they assume they have; then they have issues of their own. They need to stop being so self-righteous and jump off their high horse.

• I've been on GaG since January 2010 and definitely understand where you're coming from!

Some users like to look for conflict just for the enjoyment of getting an uprising / reaction out of people.

Others like a healthy debate but may get too pushy about it.

As we like to say on this site, "don't feed the trolls". If someone is just baiting for a reaction, all u can do is ignore them.

P.S. This site has a lot of Christian hating Atheists, and anti-Obama people, on this site...anything said positive about Christianity and/or Obama are going to attract the trolls. :-P

• Don't invest so much I'm the advice you get here.

• The best way to deal with people like that is to not deal with people like that.

• listen, u troll them with humor and if they insult u, who cares? troll some more, that's what i do and i'm still trolling despite people being asses

What Girls Said 4

• People judge. That's what we do best, isn't it? It happens in real life, when people have already decide what kind of person you are even before meeting you for the first time. People judge you based on gossip. It also happens on the internet. There's not really much you can do about it.

Luckily, unlike real life, GAG is just the internet and you don't live here. You can easily choose to opt out of talking to those people, or opt out of the site completely. You can't do that with life.

One of my favourite quotes is by Eleanor Roosevelt: "Do what in you feel in your heart to be right, for you will be judged anyway."

I've stopped giving shit about what people would think of me, because whatever I do, I can't please everyone. There will be some haters, like it or not.

The important thing is to pick your battles. Not all battles are worthy of fighting.

The best way to deal with people like this: tell them nicely that they've misjudged you. If they still persist and keep on judging you, ask them to leave or just block them and you'll have your peace.

• Just pretend that there are not there. I myself see some people like this, I argued with them who were really judgmental towards me and my problem is that I defend myself when the best option is just to let it go. You know where you're stand, you don't need to listen people who think they know it all ;)

• Its easy you ignore them.

• lol +1 for the Judge Judy reference.

I usually just ignore them since they're typically a lost cause.