Why do you think users on this new version of GirlsAskGuys.com, don't upvote and downvote answers NEARLY as often as they did on the previous version?

This new version of GirlsAskGuys.com has been up for a few weeks now.

One trend I have noticed,

is that answers aren't voted upon (upvote/downvote arrows ) NEARLY as much as they were in the previous version of GaG.

I find this an interesting phenomenon.

----

Why do you think this is?

Most Helpful Guy

• (1) The buttons are now much lighter in color so fewer people take notice of them on a regular basis.

(2) The buttons now look like they have the purpose of hiding and showing the replies to an Opinion, instead of looking like rating buttons. I made this mistake when the website was last updated and downvoted a moderator making the announcement. Oops.

(3) Sometimes you feel neutral about a comment and think the downvotes on it are undeserved so you upvote to bring the vote tally closer to neutrality, or you feel that way about upvotes and therefore downvote, but now you cannot know whether you would be justified in upvoting and downvoting this way.

There may be other reasons, but these seem like the most obvious ones. The web designer (s) here would do well to change the voting buttons to be thumbs-up and thumbs-down icons with much greater contrast than the current buttons.

• (4) On the previous design, replying to an opinion took you back to the same question so you could read and vote on other opinions, but now you are taken to some other page (which I never bother looking at). I think this change should be undone.

• Thanks for Most Helpful =)

• No problem!

What Girls Said 11

• No herd effect. If you see 13 likes on an answer, you're going to want to join the herd and do the same. But now that the arrows are hidden, you have to make up your own mind about it... We're naturally very lazy, so we don't vote at all.

• ON the new GAG, the votes on someone's opinion aren't visible until you vote yourself. I believe that in the old GAG, people tend to go with the flow. I'll admit, when I see a question with many answers, I scan the answers, and my eyes would fall on the answers with either a lot of upvotes or a lot of downvotes. And if I disagree with the answer, I'll downvote, if I agree I'll upvote. I didn't really bother to read the rest of the answers.

On the new GAG, I can't do that anymore. I gotta read all the answers, can't just scan them based on their votes. And most of the time I don't give my vote. I only vote if I either strongly agree or disagree on something.

• I think it's because the votes on Opinions are hidden until you vote.

Or maybe people just don't notice the arrows, they don't exactly catch your eye.

• The sheep can no longer see the Shepherd's crook

• Because they can't see if the answer has been voted in before.

Before people would often vote because others had voted.

• lol. i can never find it unless im up close which i rarely am. bc its bad for your yes.

should be black or dark purple, dark, green, just dark-dark. so we can SEE it:)

• i think it's because it's not visable before clicking so they second-doubt their judgement, especially when it comes to downvotes.

• I never up or down voted on the old site so it's no change for me.

• I honestly have no clue, I dont vote as much as I used to either, I dont really have a reason.

• I think it's confusing at first, the way it's designed to up/down vote. I've been down voted and people comment saying "oops didn't mean to down vote the layout is confusing."

• Yeah, I think some people have mistaken the arrows as navigation arrows, rather than for voting.

• yeah they're a bit too close together. I've made that mistake as well.

• I think it's because the amount of upvotes/downvotes are not shown until you actually upvote/downvote someone. That way there are less bandwagons and joke votes.

What Guys Said 4

• Too many questions methinks. Also, the fact that other people's up and downvotes are hidden.

• I think it's harder to run through and downvote questions. The whole system could easily be scrapped, though.

• I don't notice it as much.

• I'd say it's either the bandwagon effect, or just that they're hard to spot now is what seems more likely to me. If you're scanning down the page and reading all the text, a light grey on white background is hard to spot on a glance.