GirlsAskGuys.com lowering minimum user age from age 16 to age 13; good idea or bad idea?

Before the "makeover " of GirlsAskGuys.com , the minimum age for users was age 16.

Now the minimum age for users is now age 13.

Overall, you feel that (formally) allowing 13-15 year olds to now use GirlsAskGuys.com, is a good idea or a bad idea?

Vote and reply as much as you like!

• allowing 13-15 year old users here is a good thing!
  • the minimum user age should be somewhere between age 13-15
  • no; the minimum age should have remained at age 16 like it was before
  • the minimum age for users should be HIGHER than age 16

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's great.

When I was that age I was very curious about sex and other adult topics.
    The older generation spends so much time trying to shelter the up and coming instead of showing them what's really out there.
    We can use this to our advantage and educate the younger people on how to properly go about things such as sex, relationships etc.
    A lot of younger people wish they had older siblings or an adult figure to speak to.
    I see it has an opportunity for some younger people to get the mentoring they really need.

Shaming themselves, and hiding in the background where they can speak to no one about certain topics causes more destruction if any.

• I feel your mindset (young people needed advising the most ) is prolly why the minimum age is changed.

• Yeah, that is the most logical reason.

What Girls Said 20

• I thought it was 13?

I don't think it's a good idea. Especially the under 18s are only stated as "under 18". I think we also need an age group of "under 16", and if GAG really wants to protect the kids from sexuality topics or from reading sex-related stuff, they should restrict the access of under 16 users.

I wouldn't want boys and girls aged 14 to be reading all the explicit stuff people post here. It's really worrying me.

• Omg. I had no idea this policy was changed. Not a good idea at all... I don't think this is really a good environment for someone as young as a 12 year old.

• Horrible idea. It's going to make it as impersonal as Yahoo. It's also going to increase the amount of trolls and decrease the amount of credible, solid, valuable insight.

• It should still be 16 and up because there is way too many sexual things on here. And I would think it would be a bit weird to have a 10 year old ask us how to finger their girlfriend. Better yet, let them join but make it so they can't post in the sexuality section.

• bad… i dont think that age would b ready for some of peoples shit on here… like, lets b real...

• Honestly I was here before I was 16, I'm almost 20 now but that's not the point. Point is they're going to be on here wether they lie about their age or nit

• I don't think that everyone on this site is a good influence for younger children - some of them are but not all of them.

• Personally I think there is a lot of under 16 year olds here all ready.

• I feel the same way! That's why I don't object to the age being lower.

Plus it can help GaG compete with other teen based forum sites.

Gotta stay competitive. :-P

• I wish we had the filter also. I have a policy of not answering anyone under 18 (for like 50 thousand good reasons) and it gets tedious having to look the age all the time.

• I know where your coming from I do to for the exact same reasoning.

• Honestly, the quality of this site in my opinion is slowly decreasing along with the grand changes. I have little interest in getting advice from children...little people who have yet to experience much in life. It doesn't make any sense. But then again, thats probably why I never ask anything super serious here anyway.

• And not to mention, there are so many pervs on this site its unbelievable. Bad idea in my opinion.

• Should they mingling here and asking very sexual questions? Not really, as it invites perverts and weirdos to prey on them for sex talk. This site is mainly for 'adults'.

• sure, we can help them and give them advice they may not be able to receive elsewhere.

• In todayz society. Basically 10 yr olds are niw havingsex. So YES this site does help those need advice. This is an advice site. BUT. HOWEVER. this is also an adult site. With MAINLY 18+ people. I guess 16 is okay. But by lowering the age limit we kinda aid and provoke younger teens to engaged with Adult actions. We kinda encourage them SOMETIMES. I picked D. My opinion is kinda eclectic but I stand firmly in D because its like we kinda provoke young kids to ask sexual questions. Im nir saying not help them, or shouldn't get advixe. They already having sex. But it courages them to continue rather than stopping cuz some people here say Nooo sex so young isn't bad. Keep having sex yiu 14 yr old

• C definitely, I had to wait till I was 16 so maybe im biased but still lol

• Heavens no there are a lot of perverts on here.

• The "pervert"/"creepy" factor of this website has been lessened than in years past in my opinion.

Do you disagree? :-P

• I suppose but they are still too young for this site it gives off the wrong message in my eyes.

• NO, its a bad idea. There are many sexual questions on here. And tbh I have cousins that age and the last I'd want a 13 year old is to think about sex!

• Well I don't think its a good idea. Like for example an older user will want advice, then a 13 year old would give them one. Most likely usless. And a lot of adult topics are discussed here. No 13 year olds can stick to yahoo answers. Lol I see a lot of kids there.

• GaG should build another forum for teens. Most questions asked by them are sexual in nature. But there's already such a website for teens curious or into sex. The advice are responsible and fit for teens to read. GaG is too X - Rated since this is a website mainly for grown ups. Teens are adolescents. Not really a child but not a fully man or woman either :-P

Scarleteen.com

• What if GaG is aiming to take out scarleteen.com as a competitor by aiming to a lower age bracket?

To me it just seems like u don't want more young teens on the website.

• okay if they are here, do you think it's appropriate for 12 - 14 yo reading live feed questions like "do you like cum shots on your boobs?", or "I love having sex with my sister". I personally think scarleteen is a better website for them to frequent than here.

• It can be positive as well as negative. Its positive becasue a lot kids maybe confused with a lot of things during that agae and the might need people to listen to them and help out. The only bad thing about is that they may be attacked by perves and peadophiles that might be lurking on here waiting to take advantage.

• BAD IDEA! People over the age of 50 use this site. A 12 year old giving a 50 year old advice just doesn't sound right (and vice versa).(Depending on what advice is being given)16 is a good age to be allowed to use this site.

• A 50 year old has plenty of advice and wisdom to give to a 12 year old.

• Considering a lot of people on here lie about their age. I don't think it will make a big difference.

What Guys Said 15

• Great question. We have been noticing that GAG visitors who are under 16 have already been signing up, considering we don't ask for ID at the door nor block anyone reading questions posted. Questions were available without signing up, but users in this age group still signing up was a big indicator that this age group can use the power of GAG community, maybe even more than any other age group, to help them learn about the opposite side or even their own side, and make better decisions.

There are legal requirements hence why you will notice the age 13 being used as minimum age on almost all social networks and websites. I hope this gets even lowered so we don't get scared and ban based on age, instead trust technology that we can build better tools and trust that people are good, our experiences help each other, no matter what age.

The power of GAG is not in the content found here, it's about our community's willingness to help each other, by sharing our experiences and opinions (everyone has been 13-14-15 at some point), so whoever has a question can make up their own answers.

We trust our users and moderators to always keep GAG a fun, safe and social place that we didn't want to disqualify younger audience who wants to become part of GAG.

• Well said, Mr. Admin. I'm overall in favor of the age being lowered; I genuinely believe teen users need this type of website the most out of all age groups! 8-)

• Plus officially lowering the age of users, will also help GaG business wise, by allowing GaG to become more competitive with other teen forum websites!

Gotta stay competitive! 8-)

• I'm totally against it. It should have stayed at 16. It doesn't matter if they would have lied about their age anyway. There's too much stuff on here that they don't need to read or see.

• you can tell anyways by the type of wording that a younger person uses anyways.. the biggest being that they refer guys or men as boys.

• It was a horrible idea. There's no reason someone that sensitive or impressionable should be allowed to be exposed to the brutal reality of those who care so very little for the lives they may actually impact.

Let's party!

• Doesn't matter either way. It's not like there is any verification for age on here in the first place.

• C. Maybe it will be good, but at my age I don't really want it. Though I wish that there was something like this when I was that age

• It doesn't really matter since it's more or less a non-enforceable policy. You can't really verify the age of the user beyond the agreement of the tos etc and they can just state that they agree and fake an age. If you catch the user you catch them but more often than not on any forum you won't catch a person for faking the age unless you're doing an actual investigation on them.

Will it change the quality of the questions and answers? Possibly, at least if you believe the 16 as minimum age was a deterrent and to some kids perhaps it was but I'm sure there were others who just said yes and faked an age.

I don't think that formally changing the age will do anything in regards to the site and how it is provided that it's run properly and issues handled quickly and appropriately.

• I voted D. As many sexual questions that are on here I think the age should be 18+. But at the very least leave it a 16 minimum!!

• I couldn't agree with you more. I would no way let my child on here.. A lot of adult content

• It is a good thing. Otherwise they will just lie about their age, and end up with advice that doesn't suit their age group.

• ... bad idea, now we get a ton of more people who are whining about their virginity and crush

• As long as their asking mature, unannoying questions, i honestly don't really care

• Keep in mind that the "does he / she like me?" section is made to help consolidate those types of questions! :-P

• I can't say for sure but to me it seems like an ok idea.

• It really doesn't matter. I'm sure there are people younger than 13 here. Anyone can change his age

• It's awful. There are creepy guys all over this site. I would NEVER allow my 13 year old child on a site like this. There is plenty of bad advice and plenty of glorification of sex, drugs and other things I would not want my child getting into. What parent wants a stranger to tell their 13 year old how to suck on a penis? not me thank you and sorry I have to say anyone that says otherwise is a shitty parent.

• Considering how stupid some of the questions are, we need a higher minimum age.

• Bad idea.. I wouldn't let my child on here

• Interesting...with wouldn't u let your child here on GaG?

• Because of some of the adult content here.. come on