Why are some people so bothered by anonymous posts? Do anonymous posts bother you?

I've noticed that some users are so deeply bothered by anonymous posts. They're quick to label the anonymous poster as hiding or being cowardly. Often allowing their own minor annoyance to discredit the person's validity, the original purpose of the post tends to get derailed. Help me understand this?

The only time I think someone is cowardly hiding behind an anonymous post is when that person is blatantly being antagonistic, argumentative, rude, and shamelessly offensive or borderline harassing someone. My logic here is that if they were really that proudly bold, there would be no reason for them to not reveal their identity. Other than that, I think the anonymous feature is such a unique tool to this website! Many people simply are not going to share certain info if they are not anonymous. Why? 1. Because it's really no one else's business 2. It may be sensitive info that they generally like to keep to themselves
No one here is entitled to know the identity or username of whom they are speaking with. When you get vulnerable in order to share insight, you're doing someone else a favor. It's not like you have to reveal certain thoughts, yet you are choosing to for the common good. So for someone to discredit that because you posted anonymously seems pretty ungrateful to me. Others simply don't have the confidence to express themselves boldly and that's perfectly okay :) it's a simple phase in their journey of life that they need to work through; they should not be persecuted for it.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends on the content behind the anonymous post

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't mind it if it is something embarrassing, I have done that myself but on other things that don't matter, what is the point? I know I don't answer as many 'anon' questions or read as many 'anon' posts. There are a few people that I enjoy to read their thoughts on different things. Maybe some of the 'anon' would be other person I would like to read different posts and ideas. Never will know.

What Guys Said 8

• It just seems I waste my time answering/commenting on Anon posts
    for a number of reasons, some of which might be
    they don't read carefully or understand the answers
    less obligation to award MH
    most likely to be flippant
    other...

I DO understand when it get too personal or would embarrass someone else affiliated

• I don't know why people care so much, it bothers me when they bring it up, saying that they don't understand or don't get why someone posts anonymously...it's because it's an option

• If it makes sense to be anon, then it is ok. But if u r anon just to be able to be a smart-ass or cocky or offensive; then it is a problem.

• I agree with everything Hyped_up_on_coffee has to say. Plus you can't block anonymous posts so if people want to troll you they just click anonymous. So wrong!

• It does not bother me and I post as anonymous often as well. Some people just like privacy and don't even want to post screen names many even do it out of habit. Showing a posters screen name doesn't garnette you will like their opinion but you asked for their opinion not the personal name & details

Really this forum is simple Girls asking Guys questions, its not like we are providing name address telephone and social security numbers so why the heck would you be upset just because someone post under anonymous you asked for there opinion not their name

• I agree that if you don't want to use your real photo or name, that is your right. However I personally don't have a problem with people knowing I'm Batman ;-p

That being said I don't feel there should be an "Anonymous" username that anyone and everyone can use. There are a lot of people here who use "Anonymous" as a means of being obnoxious little pricks and nothing can be done about it. At least with usernames you could block the person.

• Yeah unfortunately there will always be people who abuse it. But I like having the choice to have anonymous if I want to give my opinion but feel that it is too embarrassing to reveal my username along with it. People come to know you by your username, and sometimes outside of the site as well, so the anonymous function allows everyone to be 100% comfortable saying things here without fear of being judged.

• Anonymous posters bother me. They are like The Scourge; the ever watching presence of people that, even without reason, can act against you without you being able to retaliate in any sense of the word.

• Well i don't like it :)

What Girls Said 7

• As long as the anonymous functiion us not abused by users to get away with harassing people, it doesn't bother me at all. It's when they want to say something incredibly dumb or nasty but doesn't want to show their "face", that's when I'd say they're cowards.

You can always report their posts if they're harassing you. Or contact a mod to get their posts hidden from the site quicker.

• It like depends on the comment because sometimes its ok to be anonymous I just think the feature gets over used

• I answer every question anonymously, but I don't feel like I am taking very seriously. I've never trolled, I just prefer for all of my questions or answers to be anonymous.

• I'm not bothered at all. I STILL don't know who is truly on the other side of the screen, whether they're posting anonymous or not. Makes no difference to me.

• I just don't see the point of it?

• I don't get why people hate it either. Unless the person is being hateful or harassing someone, who cares if you can see the username or not. It literally means nothing.

• They don't bother me one bit! I'm always anonymous and plan on keeping it that way.