Do you NOT answer questions asked by teens on this website? If so, why?

I was reading comments and opinions on one of my questions:

www.....com/.../q970493-...-com-lowering-minimum-user-age-from-age-16-to-age-13

----

...and a user mentioned not wanting to answer questions asked by teens (presuming under age 18).

1) Do you choose not to answer questions asked by under 18 teens on this website?

2) Why do u feel the need to be "extra selective" when answering questions asked by under 18 teens?

-----

Feel free to answer in as much detail as you wish.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't even pay attention to the age of the QA, unless it's pertinent information. Most of the time though, age has nothing to do with the question being asked or the advice they're looking for.

What Girls Said 14

• Although I'm not sure I agree with lowering the age minimum to 13, that doesn't mean I'm going to start ignoring our younger users. I've never seen any reason to ignore a user's questions just because they're young, or old, or anonymous, or whatever.

• Beautifully said; I concur 100%. :)

• I still can't believe how long I've been here, lol.
      I was just telling DanteSparda, at this point I've gone through the whole 18 - 24 age range!

• ...and now you're even wiser. :)

• I am not prejudiced. I don't even notice the age of the Q/A. People who are under 18 need advice and help too. I generally answer questions that I am interested in giving my advice or sharing my point of view. I don't care about the Q/A age.

• In all honesty, I tend to avoid posts from people who are under the age of 18. I have mixed feelings about it because for all I know, they could be just a few months away from 18. Yet, I can usually gauge when the person speaking is just mature and it's some trivial post. I really take pride in being highly helpful and surpassing your average, disposable GAG answer by really putting a lot of thought and going out of my way to share insight. So I'm not just going to do that for something that seems totally petty, trivial, or like your basic stepping stone that seems difficult at the time, but it's really not that major. Plus, people under the age of 18 tend to be less likely to receive answers with a mature, open mind. I just feel like it could end up becoming a massive waste of my time if that person's not even mature enough to appreciate what I'm saying. If it just seems like such a minor, minute occurrence on the scale of life, then I tend to not care to really help because that's not something so severe and major that they need to be talked through the situation. GAG.com was not apart of my teen years and I turned out just fine.

• I'm not selective by any means regarding age. If anything, I enjoy answering questions from teens under the age of 18, because it gives me the chance to provide any insight that could prove to be helpful to them. They are people, too (not implying that people would think they aren't, but you know what I mean.)

• I answer any question I am interested in, regardless of the QA's age.

• I answer any user's question, as long as it seems genuine or in any other way worth commenting. Besides, some 16 year olds are more mature and intelligent than some grown ups, and some people in their late 20s and above seem to have the intellectual capacity of of pre-teens. Especially the latter are very well frequented on GaG.

• I agree with u about the immature adults being frequent on here

• I answer questions by topic and interest, age doesn't come in to it. The only questions I don't answer are those age old 'how do I get over him' and 'does she like me' - because no matter my answer, only the person asking can help themselves.

• I am less likely to answer questions by older people. If they are younger, I will assume that I have more life experience than them and can help them more.

• I barely ever pay attention the age of QA.

• I answer any question unless its this type if question "does he like me? I am so confused" I hate thoes questions, like just ask him and be done.

• I usually answer questions from the 18+ crowd, but I'll still answer some questions from younger people. If it's related to "high school drama" or "does this boy who looked at me like me" or something like that then I will definitely not respond.

• i do not care about the age of the asker, only the contents of the question.

• I don't usually pay attention to the age of the asker unless I feel it's relevant to the question.

• I don't specifically not answer questions because they're asked by teens, but if the question is difficult to read (run on sentences, typed in text abbreviations, etc.), I generally won't put in the time to read it. Sometimes the questions are pretty trivial, too (like "rate me!") so I won't answer them.

In general, though, if I think I can help someone by answering their question, I will.

What Guys Said 5

• I knew a guy who got sued by some kid's parents because he gave them advice to google something and they googled it and clicked on results completely outside of his control. Those results included some indecent material. It was a real freak thing, like McDonald's coffee is too hot lawsuit. He never intended them to select the results they did or get into the things they did.

I honestly doubt anything like that will ever happen but if someone didn't like what you told their teen, they could come after both you and GAG -- doesn't mean they are going to win and its probably going to be a shit lawsuit, but lawyers are headaches regardless.

I also agree that many are young and impressionable and just because we saw that they used a mature way to type the question doesn't mean we know the full extent of their maturity. Maybe they got lucky with spelling that day. These are complete strangers and most of us are just hazzarding a guess since their description is only covering a miniscule of the situation. Besides, they should be focusing on school anyway :P

• I'm less likely to answer 'what fun and hot things can I do?' Questions from them.

When they actually need information I will provide it a little more carefully. I expect the question may be deleted and don't mind the website owners covering their own ass but teens can be given information.

• I know this is a contrived question and all since you've been adamant about the issue of lowering the age-limit of GAG. Personally, I don't answer the questions of people who are younger than 16 because I suspect the question will be deleted and my time will be wasted.

That being said, I enjoy the fact that this website is 16+ since many users tend to be around the age of 19-29, some even 30-40+ which is stretching into another generation. Especially for those who are barely older than 10-years old. Also, since 16 is the age of consent in nearly all of the website's domain, I feel it's appropriate for that to be the age here as well since some topics may include mature topics.

• Kind of. I tread a little lighter. Giving your opinion to a grown ass adult is a different responsibility than telling a kid. At the same time, I know the kind of shit I was getting into at 14 or 15, and I try to remember the reality, and consider that a kid can need grown ass adult advice.

• Well honestly I hope there's no one under 16 here, and even that's young, because this site is saturated with awful shit advice and ideas that could ruin a young person's life. Here or anywhere on the internet.

Personally I care especially when the person is under 18, because they're a lot more impressionable and stupid, and I can't help but feel bad that they have so little guidance in the real world that they come here for help. I definitely wouldn't choose not to answer, especially if I found that the other advice was bad, which seems to happen often enough. Of course it's also sad when someone in their 20's or 30's asks about something they should have figured out when they were 16, but then again maybe if someone had cared to listen and inform them properly at that age they wouldn't be so useless when it comes to self-awareness and managing their own lives.

• That's what this site is for...to get guidance on things from a group outside of their family and such.

by the way the official minimum age for users is now 13; happened when the new version launched. :-P

• Who else are they supposed to get guidance from? I doubt they want to go to their parents or siblings if they aren't close with them or are an only child about flirting with guys, maybe they're in a rough patch with friends. This could really be their only option.

• I agree it could be their only option, but that doesn't mean it's a good one.