Do you "follow" people here to... answer their questions?

I JUST noticed that you can actually "follow" someone here haha :)
I do not have one yet.. so now i'm searching for people that I can follow (awesome awesome) Do you follow people here to give/receive opinions on their questions? or have similar interests that you follow them to get to know them?

Most Helpful Guy

• I do. On the old website you had a friends list (both parties had to accept) and now you have follow (only one party needs to accept). I always made it a habit to periodically go through my friends list and answer any dangling questions (ones that had no answers or few answers, or were just poorly addressed by the community).

Today, this is much easier for me to do because of the way live feed and its filters work.

But yeah, basically this is a courtesy I have been doing for more than a couple of years already.

What Guys Said 6

• Well, I follow users if I like their opinions and/or they ask very intelligent questions which everyone would like to answer ^_^

• Yeah, to answer their questions and to also answer questions that they've answered.

I didn't even know about this feature until about two weeks ago, and it's made usage of the site much better for me.

• I do. I pick randomly and see what questions they answered mainly because me and this new automatic scrolling updater don't get along at all. And it's easier to get a list from someone else than to try keeping up with that.

• Mark some topics you like as 'follow'. Then click on live feed "Filter By.." and two drop boxes will appear. Set the one on the left to 'Questions' and the one on the right to 'Topics I follow' and see what happens :)

• That automatic updater stuff is a pain. I'll be reading something sounding interesting them bam it's gone. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

• I usually follow them to receive opinions on their questions.

• Hell I don't even know how to "follow" on here ha

• no, there is no point.

What Girls Said 5

• I dont follow anyone here. Meh dont see the point.

• I follow people because their cool. LOL

• I follow opinionated people with consistently similar mindsets or opinions. When I'm bored I can answer their questions or find something that interests me to respond to.

• I do follow people and ans their qns

• Following other G@Gers makes it possible to filter LIVE FEED by only Users You Follow (and you can filter by activity TYPE, as well).

For that reason, I definitely Follow others to see what all they have to say... on whatever. Whether it's their questions, their opinions, or their comments, once I notice humor and/or intelligence and/or synthesis, I'll naturally want to see more of that they have to say.

• Since I've got you here on this great topic, what do you think of bringing the friends feature back, even if it was only implemented as a dual 'follow' pairing?

Lazy developer will say what is the point, they can still implement friends by following eachother.

Its more complicated than that though. The terminology totally kills it, but that aside you can't really message anyone anymore because you have to get them to follow you, where if a friend request was waiting people implicitly understood someone wanted to message you about something.

So one option is kill the default we have in our settings about can only be messaged by someone you follow. Instead, make the extra privacy a matter of opt-in instead of opt-out. I don't like this though because it'll be spam-city. That's a horrible idea forget that lol.

Alternatively there is the follow-pairing labeled as a friend command I mentioned earlier, and I think this is best.

Am I overcomplicating this? lol

• We are working on a solution to those issues, so stay tuned!

• I'm excited! I'm staying tuned!