Selecting a "most helpful" response. Am I the only one who thinks this requirement is silly?

What do you all think of the (somewhat) recent change with GAG that you must select a "most helpful" response or it will be done automatically for you? What if your asking what people's hobbies are or what their favorite movie is? Some questions have answers that can't be considered "most helpful." Furthermore, what none of the answers you received were helpful at all? Does it make sense to pick a "most helpful" in that case? Personally I think the fact we MUST pick a most helpful or it will be chosen for us is absurd.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe they did it so people can accumulate Xper points faster but for the most part I don't like it. If I was selected as MH I want it to be because the QA really liked my answer not because it's a default. Especially, if you're the only one who answered, that's silly.

What Girls Said 5

• I appreciate that particular change with this site. I can't tell you how many times I have gone out of my way to give an answer, and take a lot of time on it, then the QA doesn't even say thank you OR give you (best answer or MH) even though you supposed "helped" them. I think with this new rule, it helps users earn points...sort of like we are helping each other. And I think that is pretty damn cool.

With the old site, users would give best answer and take it away on a whim which is pretty annoying. I think its just a way for users to show appreciation to each other for participating here. I live the fact that you can no longer give a gift and then take it away. Goooo GAG!

Out of all of the changes, I appreciate this change the MOST. I sometimes even ask questions just to give points away to those who need it.

No complaints over here. 😁

• Completely futile, in my opinion. And Anon is right, they'll likely going to delete this soon...

*rolls eyes*

• My thought's exactly some questions have no M.H.comment.

• It's dumb. You shouldn't be required to do it, I basically just agree with everything you said.

• The constant messages are pretty annoying and this post will probably deleted because GAG can't handle being publically criticized.

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah, it's dumb. I've had a notification that I've been ignoring for the last 2 weeks to select one for all of my questions I haven't chosen one on since I joined in 2009. Pathetic.

• It's no big deal to me. If you can't decide, let it decide randomly for you. It's that simple.