Do down votes/up votes actually do anything?

And is there a reason I should care? Should I care, should I care?

I just get annoyed when I get down voted on things like
"what's your favorite color?" lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think i do care about the votes cuz i only went back to reread my own opinions that i have up/down votes on.

What Guys Said 7

• You should care because sometimes it's representative of your madness in the face of the world. You shouldn't care because sometimes they are representative of bitterness in the face of the Oligarchy that you combat on a daily basis trying to bring Justice to The People.

• Nope, it's just to show whether people agree or not... it doesn't add or minus Xper or anything like that otherwise people who want to troll can just downvote everyone on purpose on every question... the odd time that still happens although as I said, it doesn't do anything. I don't really care, I just think it's funny people downvote opinions and I have certain opinions which always receive down voting whether it's just one of those things or a stereotype issue.

• I don't know and it really doesn't matter unless the person who's voting matters to me :D

• Can you tell who's voting?

• Officially no but there are certain traits with GAGgers that we know and speak to often where we keep checking on each other's Q&A so it's more of a hunch. I often go back and ask my GAG friend if it's her/him :)

• No. It's for you to see if others think your answer is well a thought or bad. It has no impact on points or anything.

• It's an indication of how correct and widely known my bit of knowledge is.

• Most of the time it doesn't bother me that I got down voted. However I sometimes wish I understood why I was down voted for things like the example you gave. I am "Oh my God! Who hates the color blue that much?"

• Just allows people who cannot have a rational discussion of a subject at hand, the ability to express their opinion on something. Many here cannot debate rationally on things like politics, so it's very easy to down vote something as an alternative.

What Girls Said 4

• No, they don't do anything. The only purpose is so that users can express agreement or disagreement with a particular answer. Yes, some users simply troll and down vote on the most ridiculous things but for the most part, I don't think it's as widely abused as it was on the old site before the update.

• On the old site didn't up votes give you xper points?

• Lol Yeah, I remember it from my old account. When I made this account last year I think it had been changed and votes didn't do anything. I've probably been here too long now that I think about it. haha

• You and me both lol

• I get down voted on the stupidest things too. It doesn't really bother me.

• I know it upsets some to be down voted. Personally I don't care one way or the other about them.

• You don't earn or lose any Xper points when you're upvoted or downvoted.
    It's only there to express agreement or disagreement, and while some may use it for other reasons, there's no need to worry about it - it won't make your post disappear or anything, haha ^_^