What if you've asked a question, and you have to pick the most helpful, but no one was helpful?

What if you got only one reply to your question and it wasn't helpful at all?

I don't want to have to pick it as most helpful if it wasn't helpful at all...

Most Helpful Girl

• I have had this problem to. I don't know any way around it.
    I hope that they will remove the forced best answer thing soon because it means that getting best answer is worth less cos they could just be choosing it because they had to choose one.

What Guys Said 3

• That's a genuine drawback. I like the idea of a most helpful being chosen so that more answerers will compete at being helpful instead of trolling or giving lame advice - something that would never be chosen as most helpful.

I've had a similar question situation as well and didn't like choosing an unhelpful MH.

An interesting idea is to allow questions to roll-over, as if they were just posted, with all the previous answers still there, until the asker finally gets one. To prevent negligent askers from just falling asleep and forgetting they ever asked, let the system still choose one unless the Asker went out of the way to mark the question as 'still seeking', and then let the system roll it over onto the feed so that they can keep getting answers for it.

I suppose a cap should exist on the number of rollovers so that badly phrased questions do not keep reappearing eternally, but it at least it would extend the life of a question's search and refresh its exposure.

• There are situations as you described and I've come across this as well. The system I believe was designed to help the relevancy of the function and inevitably it doesn't fit all. I think you can look at it in your case as a thanks for answering when no one else would...

• Pick the funniest then. :)

What Girls Said 4

• it seems as though you dont have to select BA if there was only 2 or less answers. other than that...i choose the person who answered all my questions rather than the person who made me feel the best lol

• I agree with you it's a silly setup. They should change it.

• good point

• Then I usually pick the one with the answer that came the closest to a helpful one :)
    If I only got 1 reply, then I would make it MH, even if it wasn't helpfull at all... At least that one person took the time to answer it :)