Is this a good / fair thing to do? Referring to GAGgers by their names?

Accepted on GAG we all are anon cause no personal details are mentioned. THAT unless we choose to divulge so :)

There are some of us GAGgers who write our names on our profile and/or display our pictures, I'm not referring to them.

I'm referring to those of us who do neither but manage to make friends and those for real on GAG. We begin talking to them, get to know each other, discuss a lot of personal things etc.

How fair or good is it to start referring to them by their real names (that we have gotten to know) in general opinion areas?

I'd like to know what GAGgers think on this.

Personally when someone hasn't displayed their name on profile but I know their name whether male or female, I don't refer to it on a general area cause I deem it breach of trust :)

• No harm - good thing to do
  • Nopes - not a good idea

Most Helpful Girl

• OMG!! There must be some Telepathy going on between you and me :D Actually, a friend of mine here came to me yesterday saying that he noticed some users calling me by my name on public and if it was okay by me since he never does that, respecting my privacy. How did you think of the same thing same time? :D

Well, when I get closer to a friend here I tell him/her my name. Some of them used it in public yet most did not. Over time, it was on the streets of GAG :D :D I do appreciate it when my friends don't do that out of respect. Makes me feel cared for :) I think it's too late in my case though. Hahaha!!

As for me, I keep the names of my friends to myself unless I see it used publicly by them or their friends. Some use their names casually everywhere. I used to call Sparrow "Sparrow" until she became an admin here so again her name has appeared on the streets of GAG. I sometimes address her with her real name now. I hope she isn't mad at me!! Haha!! Other than that, I keep it to myself.

Luckily I have a name that is very common. Others who have unique names may get into trouble if used in public. :D

Good question! :)

What Girls Said 16

• well if someone tells me their name in messages but they haven't shown it to the rest of GaG then of course i can't just refer to them by their name. from memory tho, this may have slipped unintentionally because sometimes i feel like I'm addressing them only. but yeh i dont think it would hav happened more than thrice.

if they want to be referred to by their name, then they would have mentioned so in their profile or name as youv said=]

• Good girl there little Lioness, SO much wisdom (I always mean that seriously) and wise words :D

Thank you, I appreciate you taking time out to answer my question :)

• There's only one person on this website who knows my name, if they began using it frivolously I wouldn't be happy. My name is too unique, people would have access to too much information. You Tom, Sam's and Megan's have it lucky there's about a gazzilion of you.

• lol I have EXACTLY the same problem. Type my name from any part of the www on Google and it belts out all that is me lol. Raj is short for my name ;) :D

• I dont have to tell people my name I think they can figure it out on there own

• I'm dumb that way lol

• Unless they give u permission for it I don't think their names should be divulged. I know the names if most of the Gagers I'm friends with on her and off here. But unless they gave me the permission to I wouldn't calk them by their names here. If that was the case we wouldn't have chosen screen names on here

• Only a few know my first name. And they wouldn't use it publicly, which I appreciate. It's an odd name lol. I extend the same courtesy.

• No, I think if people wanted to divulge this; they would have already. You might have a face, but a name is something totally different. It is more personal

• If they know my name, they can call me it if we're messaging each other and having a conversation. Just not in the questions.

• I've only been on here for 5 days and from what I've seen, first names are reserved for people who have actually reached out and gotten to know you. so i donthink its a good idea?

• That's good thinking girl :) thank you for taking time out to share your thought :)

• Not a goo idea.

• Only one person knows my real name. I wouldn't like it if it got mentioned on the public forum.

I like to keep the allure :)

• You think not letting out anyone's real name here is about allure? I'm curious to understand this :)

• Maybe it's the wrong word but people assume a lot of things about me just from my first name.

• Wow those who judge you by your name either are complete morons or absolutely salvation attained saints lol

I'd urge you not to bother with either ;) :D

• no that could be catastrophic

• I would not call any of my gag friends by their name in "public" unless I asked them first or they did so themselves.

• What about those who know your name out here and call you by that in public space here?

• I haven't put my name out publicly so I hope people would respect that. There are a handful of people that know my name from messages. I'd like to keep it there for now ;)

• Then you'd better tell them specifically not to ever use your real name out on the public arena here :) cause once people get used to calling you by name they tend to use it casually too :)

• Yes, I agree. I would say less than 5 users here know my name and I wouldn't be happy if they call me by it. I respect their privacy so I would never call them by their name. I find it to be highly disrespectful, to not respect someones privacy.

• PERFECTLY SAID! :)

• Thanks :) only one GAGer has ever referred to me by my name and it was outside of GAG world. So if he wore to call me here by my name I would feel betrayed :(

• No will not go there, I might use the first initial but that is all nothing more.

• Why the initial? is it some kind of a tension waiting to break out? i.e. want to refer to the real name but a sense of morality & responsibility keeps it under control? - Just curious to understand :)

• It is respect to the other persons privacy.

• I prefer not...

• There's no harm in it cause it makes you feel closer to the community.

• I didn't reveal my real name on my profile until I became admin.
    I sign the blogs with my name, I often sign messages to my mod team with my name... I don't mind if people call me Karyn or Sparrow, whatever... it's all good.

If I know someone's real name, I never refer to them by that name publicly on the site. They told ME their name, not everyone ^_^

• I like the name Sparrow more though Karyn is an awesomely exotic name :D. I've told you a while ago too why I like Sparrow better :D :D

Ah that's a good girl :)

What Guys Said 9

• Nope, I don't do it and I don't want anyone to do it with me.

If I tell someone my name on here it's because I've gotten to know them and trust them.

• I've done it but not in a way that it's obvious who i mean, so its more -for- them or their friends rather then outing them.

• Ah you are a judicious guy there :) always.

Ah you changed your pic? cool :D

• I've got no issue with it.

I'm Batman.

;-p

• If you have learnt someone's name via private messages then it is irresponsible to address that person by their name; unless that person mentions his/her name openly on fhe profile.

• Nah. Why drag real life into an otherwise fun party?

• I use names in public only when the names themselves are already public. Speaking of which, I do not mind if someone calls me Jesse =P

• I dont mind. I'm Alexander.

• lol that's good Alexander (the great too?) ;)

• thank you & I go the same too :)

I LOVE war games but don't have the time to indulge or even update myself with what's new :)

• log out & gym time now, will check after I lose a bit of the ext inchs down there & gain a few up there ;) :D

Ciao till then Alexander, great knowing you. I'll revert on any comment when I'm back in a few hours :)

• But if we kind exchanged names, i did'nt find any problem at all..

• exchanged over private messages? I'm referring to one of you using that name to refer to the other on open Q&A here :)

• yeah.. If the situation demands, yes. why not..

• i get it:)