Anyone else feel GAG has become a popularity contest?

It sure feels that way to me. the popular ones get the most replies or answers while the others get very little.

There seems to be a few cliques on here as well like it was High School all over again.

Anyone else feel this way?

Most Helpful Girl

• I've noticed this and it's actually quite pathetic. I really hope I don't offend anyone with my brutal honesty here, but I'm just being genuine.

It is not an accomplishment that you have spent an excessive amount of time glued to a white screen, away from the real world, away from solidfying connections with people face-to-face, away from more thrilling, grand experiences trying to be Most Popular on GAG.com. I think it's silly when people speak like it's such a wonderful thing if you have sat around on GAG enough for you to be familiar with most people here. It's pitiful. GAG, like any other social media website, can only offer you so much.
    I pity anyone here who is proudly "popular". It's sad.

What Girls Said 14

• I guess, but it has been like this ever since I got here. As for getting more opinions/replies to your answers and questions, there are a few things you have to consider.
    - Friends are more likely to back each other up, or reply to each other's answers/questions
    - I feel like most of the new/anonymous users ask questions about love, their crushes, "what does this mean", etc. while regulars ask questions that are a bit more thought provoking and not as repetitive. So, people are more likely to submit their answers to the fun questions, rather than the 34845797th "does s/he like me" question.
    - How many answers/replies you get depends on how active people are at the time when you ask your question, as well as if your question stands out and if you interact with those you submit their answers (your question gets bumped up on the live feed).

But, I do agree that cliques have formed and the "popularity contest" has become a bit more prominent, what with all the questions about users here on GaG. Like "who's your favorite user" or "which user would you pick for xyz situation" and so on.

• While it might appear that way, especially with the rash of "fave GaGer"esque questions lately..

I really don't think it actually is.

Some of my questions, get lots of movement... others, get almost none.

Same thing with my opinions, some get lots of comments, upvotes, downvotes.. others, seem totally ignored.

It's a community.. some people are here to make friends, some are not. If you are, just like in life, you need to put yourself out there.

• Not for me =) I mean, there are definitely the ones that are more 'popular' but I think that is because they are on here more lol

• Haha it's exactly like high school. I had no friends in high school and I have no friends here :p

• It has been like that for years

• I guess people who have been on this site for some time have formed some friendships, so compared to the newer users, they might get more answers or activity from the people they have often interacted with.

But for me personally, I don't care about being popular or unpopular. I'm not here to please everyone or boost anyone's ego, not even my own (e.g. by trying to be popular). As long as I'm not hated by everyone here, I'm good lol.

• I don't know. I joined a few days ago. I'm not so popular but one of my questions got about, 100 replies in 3 days.

"Would you consider yourself good looking?"

I think it all depends on whether or not your question is interesting or not. Although, I may be wrong. I am a newbie.:)

• That's it exactly. It's the question not the people that get answers.

• For me this website is a break from "reality" a nd its mostly for fun. I try to answer the serious questions seriously but enjoy the fun ones. I've met some interesting people but I have had to put myself out there a lot to do that. It helps to never answer anonymously. I have people who like me here and I have people who hate me here but at the end of the day I don't care because it's not reality.

• thanks, but what do you mean by "this"? lol

• I said no such thing. They'd think a teacher is on the field -_-

• ****Liar****
      But I've heard many guys are into teachers so that wouldn't be a bad alternative ;)

• i answer depends on the question :). no one is popular or unpopular to me or maybe i just don't care of what's happening... :))

• Im not here often but I do notice that.

• yes i agreed...

• You gotta admit all the solid speakers aka guys considered hot by the 18*24 and 25*29 rangers gets the most ice cream

• This is an online community. People who use it more regularly will obviously become familiar with one another. That's all it is, in my opinion.

• Yes I have noticed that too. They also give cold responds to anyone who doesn't seem 'stand out' on here. Recently there have been so many questions about other users. The admin need to take action before this site turned into a popularity contest site.

What Guys Said 18

• Well the popularity of questions seems to be more about how active you are replying which promotes traffic due to the live feed being at the start page. Before it was more about how many page views you got (which was lower because not as many used live feed). It seems like to get traffic "nursing" your question with replies is more important since the gag change. Yes it can get cliquey but it doesn't bother me. That's like a comfort zone for a lot of people that want to communicate with people they are familure with.

• I think I'm losing...

• I'm not on here enough to say that, but I would figure the more active the person is on here then it would seem that way. Also depends on what kinda questions you ask and opinions you give. If you're an attractive person (if it's actually you in the picture), then of course you'll get lots of attention as you would in real life, it's no different. You can also just be an average person who ask very interesting questions that people just have to give their opinion about.

• I don't see how it can be, when so many people are anonymous all the time.

• I'm pretty sure if your question seems interesting or relatable, it'll get plenty of answers. I pay more attention the to question rather than the asker when I'm scrolling through my Live Feed. But in the opinion section, I do tend to reply more to people that are familiar. That's life bro.

• I can't see why something like this is worth complaining about its a q&a website and we're all adults.

• Nope, because its on the internet and I really don't give a damn, too old for that non sense!

• No more then it ever was.

• Life is a popularity contest. Was that too deep?

• lol this isn't high school. What you have are:
    - people with more time on their hands (me)
    - people with less time on their hands (most other people)

I miss you when you're gone ;)

• Yes and I'm winning ahHhHahahahahHhHhaHHHhAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

• Talk to people more and get to know them. They will more likely to answer your questions when they know who you are.

• it shouldn't be that way. people should offer their unbiased advice to those that need it and not because you know them well.

• Sum people will juz scan and read about other ppls opinion and skip on to the next but if he/she knows u, they'll be more likely to answer. Its sad but true. Sometimes people are just in the mood of answering random questions outta boredom.

• A little but I haven't been here for long so not too sure yet

• Look at my questions. Do i look like i'm popular? Yet i get at least 3 replies. And thats more than enough for me.

• Yes, too much of a love fest and ego stroking between the regulars.

• i agree...especially those who claim as an alpha.

• I do..But isn't your job like that too. got the water cooler people too. Sad society we live in. Even people our own age bully others...