What does "Maybe" mean?

When a girl says Maybe when you ask them out, what does it mean?

Does "Maybe" mean she is considering it and is inclined to say "YES" but wants to think about it a bit?

Does "I don't know" basically mean she doesn't want to consider it and is basically saying "NO"?

In my specific example:

There's this girl, we give each other a lot of eye contact, she follows me when I talk, she bumped into me in the halls on campus today(Monday), and after we talked for a couple minutes and she was all smiles, I asked her if she would want to do something with me sometime.

She looked like she was about to say yes, then said maybe with a smile. I said, "think about it, I'll talk to you on Wednesday. "(I share a class with her then).

Ladies, what do you think? What does "Maybe" mean to you?

• Vote A Maybe = YES (unless the guy does something that really blows it)
  • Vote B Maybe = I'd like to say yes, but I need to think about it
  • Vote C Maybe = Completely unsure 50/50 chance either way
  • Vote D Maybe = most likely NO, but I might change my mind
  • Vote E Maybe = NO (just trying to be nice about it)

Most Helpful Guy

• Bro, this is really simple. If a girl says "maybe", she's being playfully positive and saying "yes". All she wants to see is how you respond. If you go along with "maybe" and just take that as a yes, it demonstrates that you're confident enough to take a little chance and that you're bold enough to look past the surface level words and see what she's saying with her body language and smile. When you take it at face value like you did, she realizes you don't entirely "get it". Just think this way: If a girl is talking to you, she's probably got some level of interest. If she doesn't, girls generally avoid that guy like the plague.

And, if you really want to take it up to the next level, when she says something non-committal like "maybe", just be playful back in a really fun tone and say something like "Ok, well MAYBE I'll think about taking you out someplace fun then! " Just make sure you have a silly kinda smile on your face when you say it. It shows her that you're:

A. Confident

b. Fun/Playful

c. Not willing to take her crap, or you'll call her out on it at least

d. Someone she can be herself with

That will take you a lot farther than you could possibly ask for. Trust me.

• Your the man, that's damn good advice. My hat off to you.

• You're welcome! Best of luck!