What's the difference betwwen being frank and tactless?

Throughout my experience, there's a difference between being frank and being tactless. Aside from the spelling.

I've dealt with a lot of frank and tactless people way back twenty months ago...

I'm kind of wondering if you also had the experience of meeting these kind of people?

It's one thing in common though is that it's common by both men and women... Perhaps it's one thing that we can't remove from a person.

Most people, probably don't know the difference of the two... I'll be honest, I had my moments.

And I admit, I'm not armed with the right words to perfectly describe the differences of being frank and being tactless

can it also be associated with having too much pride?

To put simply, frankness and tactlessness are both positive and negative

this time I want to hear your opinions on this one

State your opinions, please... :) thanks

Thanks for the responses :D it's good to hear other views on this ^.^

Most Helpful Girl

• "Tactless. Adj. Lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others; revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment or finesse."

"Frank. Adj. Honest and straightforward in speech or attitude; outspoken or blunt; open and avowed; undisguised."

The way I see it is like this: a frank individual, such as myself, will freely say, "That dress looks awful on you", before the person buys it. A tactless person will go up to someone at a party and say, "Wow! That dress looks awful on you!", not caring how many people overhear.

The difference? I am honest and as they say, the truth hurts. However, I know when it is appropriate to display such honesty and when it isn't. When circumstances arise in which it would be wholly inappropriate to offer unbridled criticism, I tame myself. I realize that in such cases it would be far meaner to be honest than to lie. On the other hand, a tactless person is incapable of making such a distinction. They are unable to judge a situation and determine whether it is best to remain silent or to offer their opinion and because of that, they are seen as offensive and rude. In short, a tactless person is blunt with no regard to appropriateness.