If he's rejected me, why is he staring at me?

I like a guy I work with and I thought he was giving me signals that he liked me too, so I got up all the courage I could and gave him my number. No call and no text, and it's been a couple of weeks now. So okay, blatant rejection, he's also been acting kinda awkward around me, okay I get it, he... Show More

I noticed that this weekend just gone by - he kept coming downstairs and near the till where I work. Again I don't know if I'm reading too much into stuff, what I was hoping was that he had come down to see me (I made that excuse all the tiem to see him)
And I joked around with him a bit later, went to give him something that belonged in his department, and called it a present, he didn't look at me but he smiled. I did the same again later and he joked "Another present? Thank you" and seemed a bit nicer.
To be honest, looking at my original question, I'm not sure if he does stare. Because if I think I do catch him it's off in the distance where I can't hardly see (I'm short sighted for one thing!) so he could be just looking in my general direction. cont.
If he's carrying something and he stops because someone's talking to him, if I'm near by I noticed that he looks out of the corner of his eye at me briefly. I gotta try to have a conversation with him, nothing heavy, but since all this I've clammed up!
So I'm still getting nowhere, but then I haven't really done anything to change the situation, I'm far too scared really, because I really need for him to initiate something in order for me to be confident enough to follow up, but if we're both shy. (cont
He'll not really talk to me around co-workers, when I say something, I know he listens but says nothing/barely anything. He definitely isn't his cheery self when I first met him & can't seem to hold a convo/start a convo with me...(Cont).
I've acted like I'm not bothered, friendly, all he'll do is smirk at me most of the time if there's a funny situation. We were at a meeting last week & I think I did catch him looking at me, our eyes briefly met and he looked away the second I caught him.
It's unfair that he can converse with co-workers fine, & even the girl that I swear fancies him (She'll actively go see him, go right up next to him, she still stares at me!) If he doesn't like me, have I made him THAT awkward? Just by giving my number?!
So me and this other girl (The one I thought he might of liked) we've started talking recently, and I did end up asking for her advice. She says that he's definitely single and that I should give it a go. The thing is since I told her that...
over the weekend he seems to be hanging around the same room area as me. But still no talking from him, if he does he acts like he doesn't really care. The in the canteen I was having lunch he came in, hovered in the background, but the girl came in...
And he started hanging around her, sat next to her, she was mentioning how she drunk texted him, and he was laughing and such...right in front of me he seemed to be flirting with her, and also asked her how she was since she had a bit of an accident...
which he bandaged for her the other day, again right in front of me. She knows I like him, and has said I should go for it, why is she letting him do that? And what's his deal? Is he trying to make me jealous because he wants me to chase him more or what?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't listen to a word FunnyHunnyBunny10 says, she's just your typical sexist female. Now as for him being interested, I think he is. He sounds very shy, too shy perhaps, but you can fix it. You just need to give him a nudge. You don't need to make another move, but you just need to ask him straight forward, "Are you going to call or text me?" You can think up of a way that sounds nice or more polite, but something around those lines. Depending on what he says you'll find out the mystery of whether he's interested or not.

Good luck.